Re: [ScoutRadio] Radio Scouting Emblem

  • Malcolm - G4CXT
    Message 1 of 27 , Nov 25, 2011
      As others have observed, this was a discussion about a US badge to be worn by US Scouts, and as such I felt I had no need to contribute to the interesting debate that ensued.

      However, I would pass comment on the phrase used below .....  while I recognise and respect the fact that BSA has
      chosen not to admit girls to their ranks I feel it is wrong to refer to the "World Brotherhood".  Anybody who has participated in an international jamboree will quickly recognise the value of a Scout organisation open equally to both boys and girls and the diversity achieved without discriminating against 50% of the world's community.

      Here in the UK we talk of the "world-wide family of Scouts" - a phrase I suggest is far more appropriate than brotherhood when referring to the population of Scouts outside the USA.

      73

      Malcolm - G4CXT

      On 24/11/2011 02:02, Bill Stewart wrote:
      I don't think that there is any intention to move away from the World Brotherhood.
    • J.Gordon Beattie, Jr., W2TTT
      Message 2 of 27 , Nov 25, 2011

        Malcolm,

        Many of our Scouts come from families where there is no consistently positive male role model.

        In our Scout Troop, the boys learn to become empowered, thoughtful men of faith from those of us who are blessed with good marriages and those who are not, as we struggle together to provide essential developmental elements to their sons.  While most of our boys are of the Roman Catholic faith, we support the faith development of every Scout, even to the point of making sure that they follow up with the Religious Emblem programs of their faith.  We also do lots of traditional outdoor activities including a monthly camping trip that includes many fun things.  The Troop also has at least one service project each month and we are also pursue hi-tech activities including Amateur Radio (1/2 of our boys have the licenses.), Community Emergency Response Team members, and become Emergency Medical Technicians.

        In this process of these activities, they become a brotherhood and as such, it is reasonable to be a “brotherhood in Scouting” within the “Scouting family”.  Let’s not let the political correctness get in the way of what is rational and reasonable.

        Yours in Scouting!
        Thanks & 73,

        Gordon Beattie, W2TTT

        201.314.6964

        Message 3 of 27 , Nov 25, 2011
          Malcolm,
          You mention that we have chosen to be boys only. The BSA over the years has attempted to merge with the GSUSA with no luck. We chose not to reinvent the wheel.
          It does look like we MAY be heading in that direction from hints made by several executives. Please note that this is only speculation.

          73,

          Bill, W2BSA

          On 11/25/2011 7:36 AM, J.Gordon Beattie, Jr., W2TTT wrote:

[...]

        • Stephen M. Shearer
          Message 4 of 27 , Nov 25, 2011

            Don’t forget that USA Venture Crews are M/F over 14 yo.

            In my council, the camp staff of one of our camps {not sure of the other camp} is 25% female and a member of the Crew {to be registered}.

            The Crew is very active in the “off” season.

            SO, females ARE part of BSA…  Just, not eligible to be Eagle Scouts or in OA {as a youth}.  Venture Crews will be at the National Jamboree in 2013, too.

            73, Steve WB3LGC

[...]

            size=1 width="100%" noshade color=gray align=center>

            No virus found in this message.

          • dr@kc.rr.com
            Message 5 of 27 , Nov 25, 2011
              Gentlemen:

              There are a number of Scouting Hams, besides myself that subscribe to this list to discuss and stay abreast of ScoutRadio matters. This conversation has digressed well past that point. Before we find ourselves exchanging cookie recipes, perhaps we should refocus on Scouts and radio related issues. I would welcome a flood of emails in my inbox that relate to involving scouts in ham radio, but you guys are starting to wear out my delete button.

              Mr. Wilson was well intentioned in his original email, kudos to him for all of his efforts in promoting amateur radio to the Scouting community. I'm sure he appreciated your initial responses to his proposal, but now that train has run itself off the tracks. Lets spend the remainder of the weekend getting some kids on the working side of a microphone, that's what this group is all about.

              73 and Yours in Scouting,

              Doug Roberts
              NEØA
              Assistant Council Commissioner - Urban Scouting
              Heart of America Council

              Message 6 of 27 , Nov 25, 2011

                Hey Folks,

                Co-ed Crews are fine, especially when led by 18+ youth, male & female.

                Before that, I see a very mixed picture because the girls are so much more organized and capable.  A Co-ed Troop or Crew would essentially be female-led by default.  Boys need time to figure themselves out before having to compete and collaborate with girls.  I don’t have as much experience with raising girls (I’m the father of three sons!), but I sense that they could use the space to develop a bit without the distraction of the boys as well.  We really don’t need the jockeying for attention between boys and girls to complicate everyday Troop operations.

                I think for chaperoning and leadership development purposes, that it may be better to have single-sex Troops and Crews that collaborate on things of common interest.  That way the responsibility to organize, lead and chaperone become unit functions and the opportunity to grow is maximized for all when operating apart or together.

                My oldest son founded a co-ed Venture Crew that worked well for several years, but he was a Junior and Senior in high school at that time.  The only reason that he led it at all, was that there were a group of young ladies who wanted to do what their brothers were doing, but they didn’t know how.  After two years, none of the younger youth wanted to lead despite their training to do so.  This brings up the question of whether the parents of girls will be interested in delivering the grittier types of “Boy Scout” experiences to their daughters.  Frankly, after twenty years as a Cub Scout & Boy Scout unit leader, I am beginning to think that they don’t want to “get dirty” delivering the grittier experiences for their sons either!  If we keep de-emphasizing and sanitizing the outdoor experiences of our Scouting activities, I firmly believe that something magical will be lost for both our sons and our daughters.

                To me, that is the bigger question and challenge confronting American Scouting and the BSA in particular.  I think the BSA may be on a good track to work this issue to the betterment of our youth.  The Summit , the National Outdoor Awards and the Venturing program may be ways for us to get to a better place, but only our efforts and time will tell.  The bottom line is whether your child is male or female, make sure that they get the experiences that will help them grow using whatever program format you can use.

                Yours in Scouting!
                Thanks & 73,

                Gordon Beattie, W2TTT

                201.314.6964

                Message 7 of 27 , Nov 26, 2011
                  I totally agree with Doug, and I think this group should offer its apologies to Jim. He's had his design team look at things from a modern viewpoint and come up with a variety of ideas that he asked us to consider.

                  Unlike folks sharpshooting from the sidelines, since the February MOU between ARRL and BSA, Jim has devoted himself and his graphics and communications staff at BSA HQ to actively promoting Amateur Radio to millions of Scouts this year. It's fair to say that his efforts have reached more Scouts than the combined efforts of the members of this Yahoo Group. He's also a communications (as in advertising and public relations) professional with decades of experience in that field, and we "amateurs" in that field of expertise might want to listen to his ideas.

                  Jim has created a BSA National Radio Scouting Committee, staffing it radio Scouters from across the country, actively updated the BSA webpages for JOTA, promoted JOTA in Boy Life and Scouting magazines, and on Facebook and Twitter. He now been designated the job of organizing the K2BSA operation both at the National Jamboree and for other uses. You can see some of that work at http://www.k2bsa.net/ and http://www.scouting.org/JOTA.aspx

                  If we want the kids of today to get involved in Amateur Radio we need to understand what graphics appeal to them, not what a bunch of old timers like. Jim and his team are attempting to do that and we should encourage it.

                  So thanks, Jim for your efforts and please share more ideas with us here in the future.

                  73

                  Gary Wilson, K2GW
                  Unit Commissioner
                  Mercer Area District, Central NJ Council, BSA

                  --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, <dr@...> wrote:

                  > Gentlemen:> There are a number of Scouting Hams, besides myself that subscribe to this list to discuss and stay abreast of ScoutRadio matters. This conversation has digressed well past that point. Before we find ourselves exchanging cookie recipes, perhaps we should refocus on Scouts and radio related issues. I would welcome a flood of emails in my inbox that relate to involving scouts in ham radio, but you guys are starting to wear out my delete button.
                  >
                  > Mr. Wilson was well intentioned in his original email, kudos to him for all of his efforts in promoting amateur radio to the Scouting community. I'm sure he appreciated your initial responses to his proposal, but now that train has run itself off the tracks. Lets spend the remainder of the weekend getting some kids on the working side of a microphone, that's what this group is all about.
                  >
                  > 73 and Yours in Scouting,
                  >
                  > Doug Roberts
                  > NEØA
                  > Assistant Council Commissioner - Urban Scouting
                  > Heart of America Council
                • qsl7thp
                  Message 8 of 27 , Nov 27, 2011
                    Amen.

                    The new symbol was not my first choice but I can live with it and it will grow on me.

                    Now let's get to work on getting the scouts on the air, which should be job #1 no matter what the emblem looks like.

                    I think the work that Jim and the staffers do is under-appreciated. I know from the little I do, it takes a lot of effort and also putting other stuff on the back burner to accomplish anything.

                    My hat is off, Jim, to you and the other staffers. Keep up the good work!(Even if at times it does not look as if all appreciate it.)

                    (As to Mr. Woods asking for apologies, that sort of offends me.)

                    tnx es 73,

                    Russ N7QR
                    Troop 592 Sunset Trail District
                    Columbia Pacific Council

                    --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, "wb2boo" <k2gw@...> wrote:

                    > I totally agree with Doug, and I think this group should offer its apologies to Jim. He's had his design team look at things from a modern viewpoint and come up with a variety of ideas that he asked us to consider.
                    >
                    > Unlike folks sharpshooting from the sidelines, since the February MOU between ARRL and BSA, Jim has devoted himself and his graphics and communications staff at BSA HQ to actively promoting Amateur Radio to millions of Scouts this year. It's fair to say that his efforts have reached more Scouts than the combined efforts of the members of this Yahoo Group. He's also a communications (as in advertising and public relations) professional with decades of experience in that field, and we "amateurs" in that field of expertise might want to listen to his ideas.
                    >
                    > Jim has created a BSA National Radio Scouting Committee, staffing it radio Scouters from across the country, actively updated the BSA webpages for JOTA, promoted JOTA in Boy Life and Scouting magazines, and on Facebook and Twitter. He now been designated the job of organizing the K2BSA operation both at the National Jamboree and for other uses. You can see some of that work at http://www.k2bsa.net/ and http://www.scouting.org/JOTA.aspx
                    >
                    > If we want the kids of today to get involved in Amateur Radio we need to understand what graphics appeal to them, not what a bunch of old timers like. Jim and his team are attempting to do that and we should encourage it.
                    >
                    > So thanks, Jim for your efforts and please share more ideas with us here in the future.
                    >
                    > 73
                    >
                    > Gary Wilson, K2GW
                    > Unit Commissioner
                    > Mercer Area District, Central NJ Council, BSA
                    >

                    > --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, <dr@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Gentlemen:> There are a number of Scouting Hams, besides myself that subscribe to this list to discuss and stay abreast of ScoutRadio matters. This conversation has digressed well past that point. Before we find ourselves exchanging cookie recipes, perhaps we should refocus on Scouts and radio related issues. I would welcome a flood of emails in my inbox that relate to involving scouts in ham radio, but you guys are starting to wear out my delete button.
                    > >
                    > > Mr. Wilson was well intentioned in his original email, kudos to him for all of his efforts in promoting amateur radio to the Scouting community. I'm sure he appreciated your initial responses to his proposal, but now that train has run itself off the tracks. Lets spend the remainder of the weekend getting some kids on the working side of a microphone, that's what this group is all about.
                    > >
                    > > 73 and Yours in Scouting,
                    > >
                    > > Doug Roberts
                    > > NEØA
                    > > Assistant Council Commissioner - Urban Scouting
                    > > Heart of America Council

                  • Dale Lamm
                    Message 9 of 27 , Nov 27, 2011
                      [snip]

                      However, I would pass comment on the phrase used below ..... while I
                      recognise and respect the fact that BSA has chosen not to admit girls to
                      their ranks I feel it is wrong to refer to the "World Brotherhood". Anybody
                      who has participated in an international jamboree will quickly recognise the
                      value of a Scout organisation open equally to both boys and girls and the
                      diversity achieved without discriminating against 50% of the world's
                      community.

                      [end]

                      Venturing is an official BSA program that admits both sexes, although there
                      is an age limitation. Generally, Venturers should be age 14+ and may remain
                      registered as youth till the age of 21 is reached. One of our Crew members
                      took delight in showing off her BSA membership card.

                      See www.scouting.org/scoutsource/Venturing.aspx

                      Also, females are admitted as adult leaders in USA Scouting. I am aware of a
                      Troop in my state that had a female Scoutmaster for a few years. Some people
                      bemoaned the fact, but she stepped up only because none of the males in the
                      committee would do so.

                      Agree that using the noun "Brotherhood" is non-inclusive to half the
                      population, unless you are talking about a 100% male organization.

                      Back to the topic... How soon till we can begin using the new emblem in
                      publicity, posters, handouts and other signage?

                      Dale Lamm NX8J, KT8BSA
                      Crew Advisor, VC-73
                    • Bill - W2BSA
                      Message 10 of 27 , Nov 28, 2011
                        I just love how people beat up on others for using the wrong word. But, it seems to be typical of this and many other
                        email groups I'm in which I'm a member. And, yes since it was my comment that said World brotherhood, I feel I have a right to complain.
                        It accomplishes nothing to beat up on people for something that stupid and doesn't accomplish the aims of this or many other organizations.
                        So I used the wrong word, big deal.

                        Bill Stewart, W2BSA, Venturing Crew 80, W3BSA

                        [snip]