RE: [ScoutRadio] IRLP for JOTA

  • Bob Bruninga
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 7, 2011
      N5HYP wrote:

      > A question was asked of me if there would be IRLP usage
      > during Jamboree on the Air this year....
      > I... was given permission to use the main channel 0
      > of the 345 Dallas Reflector as a JOTA meeting point. ...

      Other than the internet, there is another way to find out what is the
      nearest IRLP, Echolink or Alstar node near you out in the field or on the
      road. Just send an APRS message to AVRS (the Automatic Voice Relay System)
      and indicate in the message a ? or a ?I, or ?E or ?A to ask what is the
      nearest VOIP repeater or link near you. It will respond with range and
      bearing as well as frequency and tone. This is all part of the integration
      of APRS as a signaling method to set up voice calls between any hams
      anywhere by callsign alone. John Gorkos, AB0OO in Atlanta is writing the
      AVRS engine. I know at least the Echolink and IRLP node status is working
      so far. Hopefully Alstar, Dstar, and WIRES will be next.