IRLP for JOTA

  • n5hyp
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 5, 2011
      Greetings to the group,

      A question was asked of me if there would be IRLP usage during Jamboree on the Air this year. In previous years I had gotten permission to use a local repeater with IRLP capabilities and just trolled around other nodes to make contacts. Last year I contacted Jeff, N4MSE who is custodian of the Dallas IRLP reflector to allow us to use a sub channel for JOTA.

      I again asked this year and was given permission to use the main channel 0 of the 345 Dallas Reflector as a JOTA meeting point. The Dallas reflector is not as heavily used as some of the other reflector main channels and so this is a good start point for IRLP connections. I would suggest contacting the trustee of the local IRLP machine for permission to use it for the day for JOTA activities. Then dial up 9450 to connect to the Dallas Reflector. On most open systems, all you need to do is enter that number and if the connection is available it will be established. 73 is used to disconnect.

      To see what nodes are currently connected to all the IRLP reflectors at http://irlp.g4eid.co.uk/status/all_reflectors.html and you can drill down to just the Dallas Reflector by clicking on it's hyperlink in mid page which brings you to http://irlp.g4eid.co.uk/status/ref945.html. The page will automatically refresh or just hit F5. You will see your local node show up in the list. It may take a minute or so for it to update though so be patient. Channels are 0-9. You will see channelos with no activity. AS I write this Channels 0, 2,3,8 and 9 are empty. If you find a node city on Channel 0 you want to communicate with, request for the station connected to move to one of the available channels. If we spread out, more of us can use this mode for JOTA.

      Of course you can do direct node to node connections and sometimes random calling will provide interesting and rewarding results. Nodes in some areas of the country seem to be friendlier to this random activity than others.

      If you plan to be active on a node, (We in Dallas will be using the 442.025 repeater with 127PL to connect to the Dallas Reflector so local stations feel free to jump on and join the fun. Node number is 3695.

      Keep a 3rd party traffic agreement list handy so as to keep things legal. Have a good time and hope to see you on the air.

      Tom Schuessler, N5HYP
      73
    • Bob Bruninga
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 7, 2011
        N5HYP wrote:

        > A question was asked of me if there would be IRLP usage
        > during Jamboree on the Air this year....
        > I... was given permission to use the main channel 0
        > of the 345 Dallas Reflector as a JOTA meeting point. ...

        Other than the internet, there is another way to find out what is the
        nearest IRLP, Echolink or Alstar node near you out in the field or on the
        road. Just send an APRS message to AVRS (the Automatic Voice Relay System)
        and indicate in the message a ? or a ?I, or ?E or ?A to ask what is the
        nearest VOIP repeater or link near you. It will respond with range and
        bearing as well as frequency and tone. This is all part of the integration
        of APRS as a signaling method to set up voice calls between any hams
        anywhere by callsign alone. John Gorkos, AB0OO in Atlanta is writing the
        AVRS engine. I know at least the Echolink and IRLP node status is working
        so far. Hopefully Alstar, Dstar, and WIRES will be next.