Where are you?

  • Walter Underwood
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 23, 2011
      When announcing a Scout radio event, please give the date, times, frequencies, and location. If it is at a Scout camp, please give the Scout Camps on the Air locator. When I see the "Discovery District Camporee", I have no idea where that is. Well, I do, because that is in our council, but I don't expect anyone else to know that.

      The QST I just sent is a great example of how to do it well. Credit goes to the hams in Clovis, I just copied it.

      See you on the aether,

      wunder
      --
      Walter Underwood
      Venture Asst. Scoutmaster
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 23, 2011
        On Sep 23, 2011, at 11:07 PM, Walter Underwood wrote:

        > When announcing a Scout radio event, please give the date, times, frequencies, and location. If it is at a Scout camp, please give the Scout Camps on the Air locator. When I see the "Discovery District Camporee", I have no idea where that is. Well, I do, because that is in our council, but I don't expect anyone else to know that.

        Beaconing an APRS object starting a few days ahead of the event, through the event itself, would not be a bad idea either.

        73,
        -jav k4jh
      • Bob Bruninga
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 23, 2011
          >> When announcing a Scout radio event, please give
          >> the date, times, frequencies, and location.
          > Beaconing an APRS object starting a few days ahead
          > of the event, through the event itself, would not
          > be a bad idea either.

          And the BEST way is to send an APRS CQ SCOUTS message to CQSRVR. Then any other scouts or anyone else in the world for that matter, can QSO you directly on APRS texting.

          Just send a message to CQSRVR and make the firt 2 words of the message be CQ SCOUTS and then your message will go to every other station on the planet that also sent the same message to CQSRVR.

          See http://aprs.org/cqsrvr.html

          APRS is for human to human contact, texting and info exchane, not vehicle tracking.

          see http://aprs.org/aprs-messaging.html

          Bob, Wb4APR

          >73,
          >-jav k4jh

          >Visit "Operation On Target BSA" Mountain Top Signaling:
          >http://www.ontargetbsa.org/

          >SCOUTING and AMATEUR RADIO - FUN FOR ALL AGESYahoo! Groups Links

        • Walter Underwood
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 23, 2011
            That looks neat, but don't forget the basics of sending out the info. This is the first time I've heard of that site, so I'm pretty sure a notice there won't get to everyone. --wunder

            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 24, 2011
              > That looks neat, but don't forget the basics of
              > sending out the info. This is the first time I've
              > heard of that site, so I'm pretty sure a notice
              > there won't get to everyone. --wunder

              I may be missinerpreting what you are saying, but the process is not a "site" per se. The site tells you how it works.

              And the way it works is that someone may send out an APRS message from their APRS station or the front panel of their APRS radio and every other person on the planet who has similaraly sent a CQ SCOUTS message will receive it on their station or the front panel of their radio. It is just a means for sending out live global CQ's to groups, such as scouts.