Radio Merit Badge Class at National Scouting Museum

  • n5hyp
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 7, 2011
      Hi all,

      The Irving ARC will be holding another Radio Merit Badge class at the National Scouting Museum this coming Saturday, September 10th. I am asking here for help making the required on-air contacts with the boys at this class.

      We will be using HF throughout the day for but local contacts will be on either the 146.72 or the 442.400 repeaters. We will have an HF station running throughout the day between 10 and 4:30 from the Museum deing general Ham Radio demos on or near the Scout frequencies but the official Scout contacts for badge credit will be from about 1-2P and 3:30-4:30 US Central Daylight time time. We will again be using the K2BSA/5 call thanks to Jim Wilson of BSA National, the new K2BSA call manager.

      While adult scout leaders/hams would be fine for these local repeater contacts, it would be great if you had some scouts who would like to participate in talking with other Scouts on the air.

      You can give me a call on my cell before Saturday to coordinate, 214-403-1464. email is n5hyp@....

      Looking forward to hearing from you and working with you.

      73
      Tom Schuessler, N5HYP
    • Bob Bruninga
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 7, 2011
        Given this Scout list is national/international, ... where is Irving? And or
        the National Scoiuting Museum? Thanks, Bob

[...]

      • Allan R. Batteiger
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 7, 2011
          Good morning
          Irving TX, just West of Dallas ( former home of Dallas Cowboys).
          The scouting Museum is right next door to the BSA National HQ.

          Allan
          WB5QNG

          On 9/7/2011 8:08 AM, Bob Bruninga wrote:
          > Given this Scout list is national/international, ... where is Irving? And or
          > the National Scoiuting Museum? Thanks, Bob

        • Walter Underwood
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 7, 2011
            We have a youth net on a local repeater here in the San Francisco Bay area. It is at 2pm local, so that will be available on EchoLink during your 3:30-4:30 period. More details here:

            My Radio MB class all checked in on that net.

            Consider contacting special event stations. There should be several on the air for the 9/11 anniversary, and those are much easier to find that just calling CQ. My class on was on SKYWARN Recognition Day, so we worked a few National Weather Service stations.

            wunder
            ==
            Walter Underwood
            Venture Asst. Scoutmaster
            Troop 14, Palo Alto, CA
            K6WRU

            On Sep 7, 2011, at 6:16 AM, Allan R. Batteiger wrote:

            Good morning
            Irving TX, just West of Dallas ( former home of Dallas Cowboys).
            The scouting Museum is right next door to the BSA National HQ.

            Allan
            WB5QNG

            On 9/7/2011 8:08 AM, Bob Bruninga wrote:
            > Given this Scout list is national/international, ... where is Irving? And or
            > the National Scoiuting Museum? Thanks, Bob

            <arb.vcf>

          • Walter Underwood
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 7, 2011
              On Sep 7, 2011, at 7:35 AM, Walter Underwood wrote:

              Consider contacting special event stations. There should be several on the air for the 9/11 anniversary, and those are much easier to find that just calling CQ. My class on was on SKYWARN Recognition Day, so we worked a few National Weather Service stations.

              http://www.arrl.org/news/special-event-stations-mark-tenth-anniversary-of-9-11

              Another handful are listed here if you search with a start and end date of 9/10. How about Indiana Parks on the Air, or the USS Enterprise aircraft carrier?

              http://www.arrl.org/special-event-stations

              wunder
              --
              Walter Underwood