Forestburg Scout Reservation/W2FSR

  • Nathaniel Frissell
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 7, 2011
      Hi, everyone. I made it back from my OA weekend at Forestburg Scout
      Reservation, and I just wanted to give you a little report of ham
      radio and technology operations planned for the camp this summer.

      Once again, W2FSR will be active this summer as a part of the
      Forestburg Scout Reservation Technology Center. The camp is located
      in Forestburgh, NY, which is 10 miles north of the junction of NY, NJ,
      and PA. FSR is run by Monmouth Council BSA. You can expect to begin
      hearing W2FSR during Staff Week, which runs from June 25 - July 2,
      2011. Scouts will be at the camp from July 3 - August 6, 2011. We
      are working on arranging a routine schedule for radio operations that
      we can send out on this listserv.

      The Tech Center is a fully operational program area, which offers
      merit badge classes (Astronomy, Nuclear Science, Communications,
      Computers, Electricity, Electronics, Radio, Space Exploration, and
      Weather), in addition to teaching a Technician License Class and
      providing on-camp VE testing every week.

      Here is a photo of the Tech Center:
      http://w2naf.com/techcenter.jpg

      During the winters, the Tech Center is shut down and the building is
      used for winter camping. However, during this past weekend we were
      given our own building for year-round use as W2FSR. The new building
      is located directly behind the Tech Center:
      http://w2naf.com/w2fsr.jpg

      There is still a lot of work to be done, but everything will come
      together during staff week.

      The Tri-State Amateur Radio Association, K3TSA, will also be holding
      field day at FSR. K3TSA is the club that provides VE services for FSR
      throughout the summer.

      If you want more information about Forestburg, please visit http://www.fsrcamp.com
      .

      73 and YIS,