STEM adventure trek

  • n5gui
    Message 1 of 2 , May 19, 2011
      I understand there is going to be a new initiative to develop interest in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM) announcement this month, at least in the Midwest Regeon. This has been of particular interest as I have been working to startup an STEM Venture Crew in Quivira Council. ( Using Amateur Radio as an anchor activity, but not limited - as the crew chooses its own path. )

      One of the topics that I am curious about is an STEM Trek at Philmont. That lead me to speculate that the crew would hike into a camp area, then spend the day, or longer, tracking down Fox Hunt transmitters on various frequencies and locations. The Foxes could have dificulty classes, such as:

      Class I (FM High power, continuous transmission)

      Class II (FM Medium power, intermittant 30 seconds on - 150 off, three minutes cycle )

      Class III (FM Low Power, intermitant 45 seconds on - 555 off, ten minute cycle )

      Bonus --- AM voice, CW, or Digital message - points for copying message, points for finding the transmitter.

      I assumed the crew would would break up into teams, each with antenna and HT. It could be an individual competition in a "safe area" where scouts would not need to buddy up, but I thought it would be a better idea to group by threes to spread the equipment load for the trek in and back out.

      Another thought was to have crews schedule communications with other crews at certain times from certain map co-ordianates. I like the idea but I have not figured out the scoring: if a crew does not make it to the map co-ordinate on schedule, then it would affect the completion of communication tasks of multiple other crews.

      This might also require a base camp station for each crew to report its arrival and departure from their activity location. If the location is not in direct line to the base camp, then relay ( or perhaps repeater ) sites might be needed, which could be a substantial network of radios within the area. I can see the new staff position of Radio Ranger being created.

      I just wanted to toss out some ideas and spark some dialog on this kind of activity. Maybe smaller scale things need to be developed at camps in local councils --- develop standardized equipment for use and practice before the adventure trek. Maybe develop meets at the local level instead of just a nation adventure.

      James
      n5gui
    • Walter Underwood
      Message 2 of 2 , May 19, 2011
        I've talked with one of the advisors for Venture Crew 27 (http://www.v27.org/) out here. They allow groups to hike separately on the trail only if they stay in radio contact. They check in every 15 minutes. If they don't make contact, they stop hiking and wait. They can use FRS radios, but the ham HTs have more range, so this has been a good incentive for youth to get licensed.

        wunder
        ==
        Walter Underwood
        Venture ASM, Troop 14, Palo Alto