Are Scout Camps like Lighthouses?

  • Walter Underwood
    Message 1 of 4 , May 14, 2011
      I ran across the amateur radio lighthouse awards, and they seemed like a good model for Scout camp awards.

      Similar scale: There are over 1000 lighthouses in the US, and over 800 Scout camps in the US.

      Similar schedules: Both lighthouses and Scout camps need to be activated, unlike places with permanent radio presence, like islands.

      Summary of the major lighthouse awards:

      WAS-LH: There are lighthouses in 33 states, the first award is for 11 states, with endorsements at 22 and 33.

      WACA-LH: Worked lighthouses in all call areas.

      Lighthouse Award: For working 25 lighthouses, endorsements in increments of 25.

      Activator Award: For activating 10 lighthouses, endorsements in increments of 10, Century Club Award for 100. Activated lighthouses count as worked for other awards.

      These seem like an appropriate challenge for most of us, though I'd like to hear from someone who has even worked 10 Scout camps. There are over 14,000 lighthouses worldwide, so working 25 of those might be easier than working 10 US Scout camps.

      wunder
      --
      Walter Underwood
      Venture ASM, Troop 14, Palo Alto

    • Kymm Balinth-Regan
      Message 2 of 4 , May 14, 2011
        NJ camp NoBe Bosco in Blairstown will  be activated this week starting Tuesday through memorial day
        The call signs used will be Ky2mmm and NJ5R
      • k2fef
        Message 3 of 4 , May 18, 2011
          Please post on what freq's. I will try to make contact from Dayton Hamvention.

          --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, "Kymm Balinth-Regan" <kimbare@...> wrote:

          > NJ camp NoBe Bosco in Blairstown will  be activated this week starting Tuesday through memorial day
          > The call signs used will be Ky2mmm and NJ5R

        • Mark Phillips
          Message 4 of 4 , May 27, 2011
            Will you be running NJVN Early from there ?

            Mark