Fox Hunting for Scouts

  • wb2boo
    Message 1 of 1 , May 13, 2011
      I thought this article on the ARRL website might be of interest to Scouters:

      http://www.arrl.org/news/high-school-radio-club-to-offer-free-foxhunting-transmitter-kits

      "Our high school club offers information about foxhunting and the transmitters free of charge to schools and clubs that sponsor Amateur Radio activities for young people." The article says that the fox transmitter kits will be available in the fall so you might want to get on the list.

      We've found that Scouts love to foxhunt as part of our Radio Merit Badge Day and at camporees. You can get details on the hobby at

      http://www.homingin.com/ .

      We use the common cheap PVC & tape measure 2 meter Yagi which you can build for about $10.

      http://theleggios.net/wb2hol/projects/rdf/tape_bm.htm

      I do use a VK3YNG Sniffer 4 ( http://www.foxhunt.com.au/index.html ) on it as it's quicker for a novice to figure out how to home in something with that unit's auto-attenuator and audible signal strength meter, but you can use any HT.

      Have fun!

      73

      Gary, K2GW