RE: [scoutradio] Digest Number 157

  • n7tek@amsat.org
    Message 1 of 1 , May 24, 2001
      William Calvert - N7KS:

      We're working on trying to get Varsity & Venturing units to participate in
      Washington, Oregon, northern California, Montana, New Mexico, and Texas but
      it's difficult to do from a distance. Any help you can give to get units
      involved in your state would be greatly appreciated! In fact we would
      ultimately like to see On Target happen in all states and in Canada. So if
      you don't live in the western U.S. don't think you can't participate! Rally
      the units in your area! We have several units that will be back at the
      National Jamboree (in the Washington DC area I believe) and they will be
      demonstrating On Target back there. It would be neat if we could build a
      chain all across the U.S. from coast to coast (and ultimately from border to
      border). So we would love to have participation in every state and in
      Canada!

      It doesn't matter if you don't have mountains in your area just try and
      rally the units in your state to participate on Saturday, July 21, 2001 (the
      3rd Sat. in July) between 11AM and 1PM your local time. Grab a mirror and a
      2m radio and try to make as many confirmed mirror flash contacts with units
      in your area. All we ask is that you sign-up (ok ideally a peak but you
      could input a building or park or anything you want instead of a peak - just
      enter your city for the mountain range and your lat./long. coordinates so we
      can place you on the map). If you are a HAM and don't have a Venture or
      Varsity unit in your area grab a mirror and your 2m radio (and possibly your
      other HAM bodies) and signup. The more people that participate in your area
      the better experience you will have (as long as the weather cooperates).

      To learn more visit the http://www.ontargetbsa.org On Target web site to
      learn more about it and signup to participate. Let us know what we can do
      to help you. We will try to help you get things rolling in your area. We
      need older Scout units and HAMs to participate (including as Area VHF/VHF
      Gateway Stations to help coordinate communication between states). This is
      a great event to teach Scouts about Amateur Radio.

      William Calvert - N7KS:
      Contact George Van Leuvan in western Idaho. He is trying to link into
      Oregon and Washington:

      George M Van Leuven
      3603 Sunset Dr, Emmett, ID 83617-9669
      HOME: (208) 365-2612
      EMAIL: george@...

      Let us know what we can do to help.

      73 de N7TEK, John Blackham, On Target Communications Coordinator

      P.S. I'm cross posting this to the "On Target" email list because I
      believe we have others in Oregon, northern California, and Washington,
      that may be able to help William Calvert, N7KS.

      Forgot your password? You can have your password emailed to you
      by going to the following page and entering your registered
      email address:

      From: "William Calvert ( N7KS )" <radioscouts@...>

      Message: 1
      Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 23:54:29 -0000
      From: "William Calvert ( N7KS )" <radioscouts@...>
      Subject: On Target in SW Oregon or Northern California

      Greetings from someone who just joined yahoo.com/group/scoutradio.

      Name here is Will.
      Callsign is N7KS.

      Just wondered if anyone knows about Operation On Target activities in
      SW Oregon or Northern California? As far as SW Oregon I mean from
      roughly Florence, Eugene, and Bend South.

      I occasionally volunteer with troop 23 of the Roaring Rogue district:
      Crater Lake Council. Three members of troop 23 just got their
      technician licenses. A project I've been working on - off
      and on - for about 2 years.

      I've found the Operation On Target web page and the map of peaks:

      http://www.ontargetbsa.org

      I don't see anything happening is SW Oregon. On Target looks
      like fun but it would be nice to know another scout group is on
      another near-by peak to see the end result of our efforts. Any
      information would be appreciated.

      Thanks and 73 from
      Will N7KS