Re: Scout Camps on the Air

  • Stephen
    Message 1 of 40 , May 7 7:04 AM
      Mike this sounds great! Please include me in SCOTA yahoo group! Certainly want to follow the developments.
      Thanks
      Steve Ferguson, N4PKJ

      --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, "ab5eb" <ab5ebdxer@...> wrote:

      > Hey guys,
      >
      > There is a small group of us who are trying to work to create a award program to try to increase radio scouting activity. The concept is simple and the award is called Scout Camps on the Air. We are in the process of putting this together. We already have a list of BSA owned camps. I am wondering if anyone is interested in joining a discussion group with the purpose of developing this award? We have talked to the BSA and they have shown some initial interest in possibly the BSA supporting the concept. I think it would be a good way to encourage more activity, especially at summer camp.
      >
      > If you are interested please email me and I will invite you to our yahoo group. We need feedback on rules and local knowledge on camps to help make the list of camps as complete as possible.
      >
      > Thanks
      >
      > Mike AB5EB/KX5BSA

    • wb2boo
      Message 40 of 40 , May 13 7:22 AM
        Mike:

        To build on Dale's comments, as a result of the new MOU between ARRL and BSA, BSA recently formed a National Radio Scouting Committee which is working to help organize things a bit more. Jim Wilson, is the head of it and has done a great job with our first goal of improving information and resources regarding JOTA. See the new BSA JOTA pages at http://www.scouting.org/JOTA.aspx for the results of our first project.

        Future committee projects will likely evolve to better support K2BSA, reaching out to hams at events beyond the Dayton Hamvention, coordination of Amateur Radio activity at National and World Jamborees, and other items of mututal interest between the ham radio and Scouting communitees.

        In the meantime, if you want to work on cleaning up or adding the references to diffrent Scout topics currently found on the AC6V webiste, they can be contacted at http://ac6v.com/EMAIL.htm That would be a big help.

        Also, regarding setting up ham stations at Scout Camps, I do offer a few hints on my Radio Merit Badge website: http://k2gw.tripod.com/radiomeritbadge/

        particulalrly on this page:

        http://k2gw.tripod.com/radiomeritbadgeday/id22.html

        Best of luck with your efforts to increase Amateur Radio opportunities for Scouts! Hopefully we'll be able to meet at Dayton with the rest of the great Hamvention Scout Radio booth folks.

        73

        Gary Wilson, K2GW
        BSA Natioanl Radio Scouting Committee Member
        ARRL SNJ Assistant Section Manager