WJ0TA/1 (Maine) Event Report

  • ray@sirois.com
    Message 1 of 1 , May 21, 2001
      Saturday May 19 about 500 Scouts assembled at
      Windsor (ME) Fairgrounds, near Augusta for
      Oddysey 2001 Scout Show. As one of many
      "booths" set up on different arts,crafts, and sciences,
      by various units, we set up a nice trailerable HF tower
      and operated on 20&15m getting many scouts on the air.
      Band conditions were kinda light, so having the A3S at 40ft
      really helped a lot. W1ME, our Maine Amsat connection,
      was also set up, and logged a contact or two on
      Fuji-Oscar 20... the scouts really got a kick out of that.

      By midday Saturday, we also got word of 5 new hams who had
      passed their Technician's exam that same morning. Two
      scouts and three dads, who were part of a Spring course
      for Scouts n Dads aimed for merit badges and
      Technician license prep, will soon be getting their
      callsigns. The 2.5 hour x 6 week courses are
      open to all, but we've found Roundtables, and
      troop meeting handouts oriented to something
      Scouts and Dads can get excited about together
      really get the most sign-ups.

      73 de WJ0TA/1
      Ray