RE: [ScoutRadio] Award levels? RE: WAS

  • Stephen M. Shearer
    Message 1 of 13 , May 2, 2011

      BTW re WAS, Delaware will have a new camp opening “soon”.  The camp name is unknown {to me} at this time.  But, it is being built in Dover , DE as a Cub Scout camp and Council Admin Office and Conference Center .  [our other camps{s} are in MD]

      Steve WB3LGC

      I had very little time from OA cook crew to “play” radio {camp MD-05} this weekend.  I did listen on 40M and 20M a few times on the JOTA Freq’s and {2 hour+} nets were being run by other groups.  Also the FL QSO Party was very active.  Off freq would be an option, but time wasn’t an option.  BTW, MD-05 will be running Radio Merit Badge this summer for it’s eight week summer camp.  It is possible I can find a 10M rig for them to use, but I expect “they” will be limited to VHF/UHF for contacts {APRS via ISS?}.  If Obama Gas were the price that Bush Gas was… I might visit for a day each week to run an HF station for contacts for the boys.

      Message 2 of 13 , May 2, 2011
        Steve,

        When you get the info let me know. I am going to update the website soon with the awards we have talked about and WAS is one of them. Maybe a enough interested guys up there can piece together a ham station for the camp?

        I am working on a 2 L vertical in a effort to get some directional gain for summer camp this year. If you go to the camp let us know the times and freq and I will listen for you.

        Mike AB5EB

        Message 3 of 13 , May 3, 2011
          But no one starts with Eagle. Only 2% achieve that. Everyone does Scout (by definition) and probably 98% make Tenderfoot.

          So lets have the Tenderfoot level be achievable by 98% of Scouts.

          Where I live (Palo Alto, RFI Capitol of the world), with my equipment (IC-756 and wire antenna) , the Scout level would take years of work. I wouldn't even mention that to a boy because it would be so hard to achieve.

          Saturday night was my son's 100th night of Scout camping!

          wunder

          On May 1, 2011, at 6:33 PM, J.Gordon Beattie, Jr., W2TTT wrote:

          I respectfully disagree...this multi-level award system is achievable by a Scout.

          In fact it will be just as attainable as some of the other Scout awards starting with becoming an Eagle Scout.  Even more rare, but attainable, are the Hornaday Award and the National Camping Awards at the 100 night, 250 night and finally the 500 night levels!  Most Boy Scout Troops do not have anyone with these awards.  In fact most Troops do not have a single Scout or adult with the Hiking Merit Badge, because of the requirement for a 20 mile hike in addition to the five 10 mile hikes.  Our Troop does a least one 20 miler each year as a Good Friday Church hike.  Most of our Scouts come every year, even if their overall participation has been poor.

          Our Troop is active, but economically challenged.  Despite that, we have several active Scouts who have not served on camp staffs with 100+ nights of Scout camping and several adults (some who started as Scouts in the 1990's) who have 250 and 500+ nights of camping.  Some have never served on a camp staff and have 500+ nights including this writer!

          Additionally, over a dozen Scouts have Amateur Radio licenses and if this was available at camp in the summer or on weekends, they would jump at the chance!  Those who have earned their licenses have a broad range of academic capabilities.  Most are not the “class genius”, but pretty regular guys including several with special needs!

          Area unit and district leaders are amazed that these activities are normal and routine in our Troop, but they come from a consistent commitment to high standards, extraordinary availability and the notion of making it fun and exciting as it is supported by both the youth and adult leadership.

          Finally, some remote camps could be put on the air remotely via an Internet connection over a landline, cellular data network or an Amateur Radio auxiliary link.   Don’t think in terms of the impossibility when you want to get a camp on the air, but consider how you might make it happen!  Be flexible in your thinking and audacious in your aspirations and in problem-solving when working to get camps on the air!

          Thanks & Vy 73,

          Gordon Beattie, W2TTT

          Scoutmaster, Boy Scout Troop 139

          Advisor, Venture Crew 7373

          Bergenfield , NJ

          201.314.6964

          W2TTT@...

          Message 4 of 13 , May 3, 2011

            Walter,

            Levels are fine with me…I just don’t think that we need to remove high-end goals as well.

            BTW:  These days, it seems that about 4% make Eagle.  Don’t panic over that and start worrying about reduced standards and the like, because from what I can see, the issue is that many (not all) boys who gravitate to Scouting in a very active mode, don’t have Varsity sports, or other activities at that level of intensity to compete for their time.

            Their focus is commendable and something worth noting given how the values of Scouting can be at odds with some of the less desirable current social “norms”.

            Congratulations to your son on his 100 nights!  Our youngest did a lot of camping as a Cub Scout with the Pack and also with the Troop when his older brothers were out there, so his was as a Cub Scout!  It was very odd having him presented with the 100 Night Award at a Pack Meeting!  Oddly enough, there were a couple of his Webelos colleagues who we right behind him!   It has been an interesting group and now they are 15 and thinking about Eagle projects themselves!

            Yours in Scouting!
            Thanks & 73,

            Gordon Beattie, W2TTT

            201.314.6964