Re: [ScoutRadio] Award levels?

  • Walter Underwood
    Message 1 of 13 , May 1 1:20 PM
      I don't see how the general ham population would be interested in this. These awards are only achievable for professional certificate chasers.

      Even with more activity, camp stations aren't operated like DXpeditions, they might make tens of contacts, not thousands. Our Sierra camps will never be on the air in the winter because they are snowed in. Those camps are a five hour drive from our council, so nobody is popping in on a Saturday to activate the camp.

      The BSA defines advancement like this: "Boy Scouting provides a series of surmountable obstacles and steps in overcoming them through the advancement method." These do not seem to be "surmountable obstacles" and seem counter to the spirit of Scouting.

      I would expect something more achievable, like WAS. How about working one camp from each call sign region as the Tenderfoot level?

      wunder

      On May 1, 2011, at 1:03 PM, Mike Crownover wrote:

      > Walter,
      >
      > The purpose of what you see on the website right now is to get the general ham population interested in talking to camps. The idea of this is also getting more camps on the air, the idea is to the change the activity level. So I agree the numbers seem almost impossible at todays activity level. However the idea is to increase activity level. There will be awards for hams, camps and scouts. I will get this information up soon but the scout awards are much easier.
      >
      > So, yes for the ham population it is a challenge. Our hope it that it will encourage more activity from more camps. Not just a few.
      >
      > Mike
      >

      > On Sun, May 1, 2011 at 11:13 AM, Walter Underwood <wunder@...> wrote:
      >
      > The award levels seem really tough, considering how rarely camps are on the air. Scoring 10 might be a real achievement here on the west coast.
      >

      > Are these intended to get youth interested or are they for experienced, well-equipped DXers?
      >
      > I'm pretty sure that none of our three council camps have ever been on the air on HF. The only camp I've seen operating was Worth Ranch, while I was there in 2008, but they only run three weeks of camp.
      >
      > Finally, what about non-US camps? I'd expect some sort of credit for working GB2GP, if I ever manage it.
      >
      > Info on radio Scouting in the UK: http://www.radio-scouting.org.uk/
      >
      > wunder
      > --
      > Walter Underwood
      > Venture ASM, Troop 14, Palo Alto
      > K6WRU

    • Mike Crownover
      Message 2 of 13 , May 1 1:42 PM
        Wunder,

        I think the general ham population will have more interest then you think. Many of the hams got their exposure to radio through scouts. The purpose is to encourage those guys to have a interest. The scout series of awards is much easier and obtainable. It starts with a intro SWL certificate for hearing 5 stations. There is a also a "camps award".

        We are trying to engage one of the most radio active group of hams and that is the award chasing population. The idea is to create more interest in talking to scouts when the station is on. This makes for a better experience for the scouts in my opinion.

        In the end if a scout can go to camp and get on the radio and have more people and more scouts to talk to because more camps are on the air then the award has done its job.

        Mike AB5EB

        On Sun, May 1, 2011 at 3:20 PM, Walter Underwood <wunder@...> wrote:
        I don't see how the general ham population would be interested in this. These awards are only achievable for professional certificate chasers.

        Even with more activity, camp stations aren't operated like DXpeditions, they might make tens of contacts, not thousands. Our Sierra camps will never be on the air in the winter because they are snowed in. Those camps are a five hour drive from our council, so nobody is popping in on a Saturday to activate the camp.

        The BSA defines advancement like this: "Boy Scouting provides a series of surmountable obstacles and steps in overcoming them through the advancement method." These do not seem to be "surmountable obstacles" and seem counter to the spirit of Scouting.

        I would expect something more achievable, like WAS. How about working one camp from each call sign region as the Tenderfoot level?

        wunder

        On May 1, 2011, at 1:03 PM, Mike Crownover wrote:

        > Walter,
        >
        > The purpose of what you see on the website right now is to get the general ham population interested in talking to camps. The idea of this is also getting more camps on the air, the idea is to the change the activity level. So I agree the numbers seem almost impossible at todays activity level. However the idea is to increase activity level. There will be awards for hams, camps and scouts. I will get this information up soon but the scout awards are much easier.
        >
        > So, yes for the ham population it is a challenge. Our hope it that it will encourage more activity from more camps. Not just a few.
        >
        > Mike
        >

        > On Sun, May 1, 2011 at 11:13 AM, Walter Underwood <wunder@...> wrote:
        >
        > The award levels seem really tough, considering how rarely camps are on the air. Scoring 10 might be a real achievement here on the west coast.
        >

        > Are these intended to get youth interested or are they for experienced, well-equipped DXers?
        >
        > I'm pretty sure that none of our three council camps have ever been on the air on HF. The only camp I've seen operating was Worth Ranch, while I was there in 2008, but they only run three weeks of camp.
        >
        > Finally, what about non-US camps? I'd expect some sort of credit for working GB2GP, if I ever manage it.
        >
        > Info on radio Scouting in the UK: http://www.radio-scouting.org.uk/
        >
        > wunder
        > --
        > Walter Underwood
        > Venture ASM, Troop 14, Palo Alto
        > K6WRU

        <*> Your email settings:
           Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
           (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:
           ScoutRadio-digest@yahoogroups.com
           ScoutRadio-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

           http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • Mike Crownover
        Message 3 of 13 , May 1 1:43 PM
          Wunder,

          Also, I do like your idea for a all call area award. We have discussed a WAS award also, however this will be a real challenge. Not all of the awards are designed for just the scout but also the operator.

          Mike

          On Sun, May 1, 2011 at 3:42 PM, Mike Crownover <ab5ebdxer@...> wrote:
> [...]

          > So, yes for the ham population it is a challenge. Our hope it that it will encourage more activity from more camps. Not just a few.
          >
          > Mike
          >

          > On Sun, May 1, 2011 at 11:13 AM, Walter Underwood <wunder@...> wrote:
          >
          > The award levels seem really tough, considering how rarely camps are on the air. Scoring 10 might be a real achievement here on the west coast.
          >

          > Are these intended to get youth interested or are they for experienced, well-equipped DXers?
          >
          > I'm pretty sure that none of our three council camps have ever been on the air on HF. The only camp I've seen operating was Worth Ranch, while I was there in 2008, but they only run three weeks of camp.
          >
          > Finally, what about non-US camps? I'd expect some sort of credit for working GB2GP, if I ever manage it.

        • J.Gordon Beattie, Jr., W2TTT
          Message 4 of 13 , May 1 6:33 PM

            I respectfully disagree...this multi-level award system is achievable by a Scout.

            In fact it will be just as attainable as some of the other Scout awards starting with becoming an Eagle Scout.  Even more rare, but attainable, are the Hornaday Award and the National Camping Awards at the 100 night, 250 night and finally the 500 night levels!  Most Boy Scout Troops do not have anyone with these awards.  In fact most Troops do not have a single Scout or adult with the Hiking Merit Badge, because of the requirement for a 20 mile hike in addition to the five 10 mile hikes.  Our Troop does a least one 20 miler each year as a Good Friday Church hike.  Most of our Scouts come every year, even if their overall participation has been poor.

            Our Troop is active, but economically challenged.  Despite that, we have several active Scouts who have not served on camp staffs with 100+ nights of Scout camping and several adults (some who started as Scouts in the 1990's) who have 250 and 500+ nights of camping.  Some have never served on a camp staff and have 500+ nights including this writer!

            Additionally, over a dozen Scouts have Amateur Radio licenses and if this was available at camp in the summer or on weekends, they would jump at the chance!  Those who have earned their licenses have a broad range of academic capabilities.  Most are not the “class genius”, but pretty regular guys including several with special needs!

            Area unit and district leaders are amazed that these activities are normal and routine in our Troop, but they come from a consistent commitment to high standards, extraordinary availability and the notion of making it fun and exciting as it is supported by both the youth and adult leadership.

            Finally, some remote camps could be put on the air remotely via an Internet connection over a landline, cellular data network or an Amateur Radio auxiliary link.   Don’t think in terms of the impossibility when you want to get a camp on the air, but consider how you might make it happen!  Be flexible in your thinking and audacious in your aspirations and in problem-solving when working to get camps on the air!

            Thanks & Vy 73,

            Gordon Beattie, W2TTT

            Scoutmaster, Boy Scout Troop 139

            Advisor, Venture Crew 7373

            Bergenfield , NJ

            201.314.6964

            W2TTT@...

            __________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 6086 (20110501) __________

            http://www.eset.com

          • Kc2rss@gmail.com
            Message 5 of 13 , May 1 7:02 PM
              I think this is possible

              Are there enough camps for some of the higher levels?

              Keep in mind not all of them are on very often

              International scout camps, special camporees, and countries scouting calls(ex:k2bsa)

              Having interacted with Gordon and his troop on numerous occasions, I do think that the interest is there for this kind of thing.

              If we get a handful of licensed people at all of the camps, scouts could achieve this award if they worked at it, just like ranks and merit badges.

              Sent from my iPod
              -Zach Feinberg
              Life scout
              Troop 53, NNJC BSA
              KC2RSS

              • Paul Joosten
                Message 7 of 13 , May 1 10:44 PM
                  Hi All,

                  What about Echolink QSO's? Hams and radio scouts outside the USA will have great difficulty working camp stations. As operator of many international camps I found that contacts to the other side of the world really catch the imagination of younger scouts. DX with FM quality combines the best of two worlds. Major camps these days will have an Echolink station enabling ham scouts on site to communicate independently with ham scouts around the world. I am looking into the possibilities for such a station at SJ22S this Summer.

                  Also, Echolink was a great stimulus for activity for the 2007 Centennary Award. Allowing Echolink would imho contribute greatly to the number and quality of QSO's with scout camps so if that is what this award is to achieve.... Just my 2c...

                  73&YIS,
                  Paul PA5UL
                  Radio Interested Scout #410
                  OPR de PA6N/J, GB5EJ, GB100J, PA50UL/J, PA2008NJ/J, HB9S, DP0S, PA2009IC, HE8S, PA100J/J and SJ22S
                • Stephen M. Shearer
                  Message 8 of 13 , May 2 12:13 PM

                    BTW re WAS, Delaware will have a new camp opening “soon”.  The camp name is unknown {to me} at this time.  But, it is being built in Dover , DE as a Cub Scout camp and Council Admin Office and Conference Center .  [our other camps{s} are in MD]

                    Steve WB3LGC

                    I had very little time from OA cook crew to “play” radio {camp MD-05} this weekend.  I did listen on 40M and 20M a few times on the JOTA Freq’s and {2 hour+} nets were being run by other groups.  Also the FL QSO Party was very active.  Off freq would be an option, but time wasn’t an option.  BTW, MD-05 will be running Radio Merit Badge this summer for it’s eight week summer camp.  It is possible I can find a 10M rig for them to use, but I expect “they” will be limited to VHF/UHF for contacts {APRS via ISS?}.  If Obama Gas were the price that Bush Gas was… I might visit for a day each week to run an HF station for contacts for the boys.

                    Message 9 of 13 , May 2 12:27 PM
                      Steve,

                      When you get the info let me know. I am going to update the website soon with the awards we have talked about and WAS is one of them. Maybe a enough interested guys up there can piece together a ham station for the camp?

                      I am working on a 2 L vertical in a effort to get some directional gain for summer camp this year. If you go to the camp let us know the times and freq and I will listen for you.

                      Mike AB5EB

                      Message 10 of 13 , May 3 6:29 PM
                        But no one starts with Eagle. Only 2% achieve that. Everyone does Scout (by definition) and probably 98% make Tenderfoot.

                        So lets have the Tenderfoot level be achievable by 98% of Scouts.

                        Where I live (Palo Alto, RFI Capitol of the world), with my equipment (IC-756 and wire antenna) , the Scout level would take years of work. I wouldn't even mention that to a boy because it would be so hard to achieve.

                        Saturday night was my son's 100th night of Scout camping!

                        wunder

                        Message 11 of 13 , May 3 8:17 PM

                          Walter,

                          Levels are fine with me…I just don’t think that we need to remove high-end goals as well.

                          BTW:  These days, it seems that about 4% make Eagle.  Don’t panic over that and start worrying about reduced standards and the like, because from what I can see, the issue is that many (not all) boys who gravitate to Scouting in a very active mode, don’t have Varsity sports, or other activities at that level of intensity to compete for their time.

                          Their focus is commendable and something worth noting given how the values of Scouting can be at odds with some of the less desirable current social “norms”.

                          Congratulations to your son on his 100 nights!  Our youngest did a lot of camping as a Cub Scout with the Pack and also with the Troop when his older brothers were out there, so his was as a Cub Scout!  It was very odd having him presented with the 100 Night Award at a Pack Meeting!  Oddly enough, there were a couple of his Webelos colleagues who we right behind him!   It has been an interesting group and now they are 15 and thinking about Eagle projects themselves!

                          Yours in Scouting!
                          Thanks & 73,

                          Gordon Beattie, W2TTT

                          201.314.6964