RE: [ScoutRadio] Scout Camps on the Air (SCOTA) Award

  • Dan Fisher AI4GK
    Message 1 of 8 , May 1, 2011

      Mike,

      Nice start for the Web site. I have a question, though, about the rankings.

      Scout level: Earn at least 50 points.
      Tenderfoot level: Earn at least 100 points.
      1st C lass level: Earn at least 200 points.
      2nd Class level: Earn at least 300 points.

      Star level: Earn at least 400 points.
      Life level: Earn at least 500 points.
      Eagle level: Earn at least 600 points.

      In Scouting, 2nd Class is a lower rank than 1st Class, but you have 2nd Class as the higher rank. Is this an oversight, or was there a reason that you put 2nd class higher?

      Also, a type: on the list, you have a space between the C and the L in 1st Class. (Sorry, but I nitpick on grammar and spelling.)  J

      Otherwise, like I said it’s a great beginning!

      73, de

      Dan Fisher, AI4GK

      http://www.arrl.org

      http://www.pcars.org

      http://ai4gk.r2i.net

      http://www.qrz.com/db/ai4gk

      Public Information Officer:

      Platinum Coast Amateur Radio Society;

      American Radio Relay League, Southern Florida Section

      Message 2 of 8 , May 1, 2011
        Nice job on the website, Mike.

        We gave SCOTA top billing here on the home page at ScoutRadio with a link to your new site.

        On a similar note, we've got a dead link right below it. Does anyone have any idea what the new URL is for the old ARRL SKEDS Database page might be? With the advent of the new ARRL website it seems to have dissapeared/moved. The Old URL is http://www.arrl.org/FandES/ead/youthskeds/

        Fraternally,

        Jon Pearl - W4ABC

        --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, "ab5eb" <ab5ebdxer@...> wrote:

        > Hey guys,
        >
        > After much discussion and work we are getting close to announcing a new award designed to increase interest in the general ham population in talking to Scout Camps. The website is www.scota.us it is not finished yet but I would like feedback. In particular you will find a directory with camps. I would like to know corrections that need to be done.
        >
        > Also if you know of a camp station callsign please let me know and I will add it to the list. If you are interested in being more involved just email me and I will add you to our yahoo group for SCOTA.
        >
        > Thanks
        >
        > Mike AB5EB

      • Frank Krizan
        Message 3 of 8 , May 1, 2011
          Hi Jon, et al,

          It appears the Youth Skeds Database is dead. The entire DB emptied out prior to the cutover to the new web site. I have sent numerous inquiries to HQ and several Directors and have not, in two years, received any kind of reply. Wait: I should say on one occasion, I was told that this has been a major conversion and that the staff is working on issues very hard and just be patient.

          I would recommend we delete the link and, when, if, one of us detects the YSD or something like it has returned, add a new link. Improvements to the YSD was one of the recommendations of the Scouting Advisory Committee which made its report last summer to the Board. Any improvement to ZERO is still ZERO.

          I'm hoping the new National Radio Scouting Committee at the BSA may be able to take this up down the line as a way for at least scout groups to stay in contact.

          73, Frank KR1ZAN

          On May 1, 2011, at 2:46 PM, Jon Pearl - W4ABC wrote:

          > Nice job on the website, Mike.
          >
          > We gave SCOTA top billing here on the home page at ScoutRadio with a link to your new site.
          >
          > On a similar note, we've got a dead link right below it. Does anyone have any idea what the new URL is for the old ARRL SKEDS Database page might be? With the advent of the new ARRL website it seems to have dissapeared/moved. The Old URL is http://www.arrl.org/FandES/ead/youthskeds/
          >
          > Fraternally,
          >
          > Jon Pearl - W4ABC
          >
          > --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, "ab5eb" <ab5ebdxer@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hey guys,
          > >
          > > After much discussion and work we are getting close to announcing a new award designed to increase interest in the general ham population in talking to Scout Camps. The website is www.scota.us it is not finished yet but I would like feedback. In particular you will find a directory with camps. I would like to know corrections that need to be done.
          > >
          > > Also if you know of a camp station callsign please let me know and I will add it to the list. If you are interested in being more involved just email me and I will add you to our yahoo group for SCOTA.
          > >
          > > Thanks
          > >
          > > Mike AB5EB

        • Mike Crownover

            Message 5 of 8 , May 1, 2011
              Hi Frank.

              Thanks for the insight.

              I'll pull the bad URL for now and if in the future we manage to find a
              replacement, we'll deal with it at that time.

              Thanks again.

              Jon Pearl - W4ABC
              http://www.w4abc.com