Scout Camps on the Air (SCOTA) Award

  • ab5eb
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 30, 2011
      Hey guys,

      After much discussion and work we are getting close to announcing a new award designed to increase interest in the general ham population in talking to Scout Camps. The website is www.scota.us it is not finished yet but I would like feedback. In particular you will find a directory with camps. I would like to know corrections that need to be done.

      Also if you know of a camp station callsign please let me know and I will add it to the list. If you are interested in being more involved just email me and I will add you to our yahoo group for SCOTA.

      Thanks

      Mike AB5EB
    • Darryl Frasier
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 30, 2011
        Mike
        Please add Camp Trexler to the list the call is W3TSR I am the trustee of
        the station and would really like to part of this great group.
        Darryl
        W3TSR/ N3AOI

        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 30, 2011
          Thank you, excellent work.

          In California, I do not think that Camp Mirimichi has been in operation as an independent camp for quite a while, probably a decade or more.

          Camp Kern operates an outpost program at the former Mirimichi site, but that is part of the Kern program.

          There are three Scout camps on the south shore of Huntington Lake, from west to east: Kern, Oljato, and Mirimichi. Our council's summer camp is Camp Oljato, so I have spent a some time looking across the cove at the quiet shore of the Mirimichi side.

          This page lists "Kern and Mirimichi" and explains the program: http://www.sscbsa.org/councilcamps/campsincalifornia.php

          I don't think that any of Pacific Skyline's camps have ever been on the air (Boulder Creek, Cutter, and Oljato). Camp Cutter is near the top of the coast range, bounded by state parks on two sides, which should keep the RFI down. Sound like an excellent JOTA-expedition site. Hmm.

          I would like the lists in a form other than PDF. A big comma-separated-values file would be just fine. Maybe we could contribute grid squares and lat-lon for the camps.

          wunder
          ==
          Walter Underwood
          Venture ASM, Troop 14, Palo Alto
          K6WRU

          On Apr 30, 2011, at 5:43 PM, ab5eb wrote:

          Hey guys,

          After much discussion and work we are getting close to announcing a new award designed to increase interest in the general ham population in talking to Scout Camps. The website is www.scota.us it is not finished yet but I would like feedback. In particular you will find a directory with camps. I would like to know corrections that need to be done.

          Also if you know of a camp station callsign please let me know and I will add it to the list. If you are interested in being more involved just email me and I will add you to our yahoo group for SCOTA.

          Thanks

          Mike AB5EB

        • Dan Fisher AI4GK
          Message 4 of 8 , May 1, 2011

            Mike,

            Nice start for the Web site. I have a question, though, about the rankings.

            Scout level: Earn at least 50 points.
            Tenderfoot level: Earn at least 100 points.
            1st C lass level: Earn at least 200 points.
            2nd Class level: Earn at least 300 points.

            Star level: Earn at least 400 points.
            Life level: Earn at least 500 points.
            Eagle level: Earn at least 600 points.

            In Scouting, 2nd Class is a lower rank than 1st Class, but you have 2nd Class as the higher rank. Is this an oversight, or was there a reason that you put 2nd class higher?

            Also, a type: on the list, you have a space between the C and the L in 1st Class. (Sorry, but I nitpick on grammar and spelling.)  J

            Otherwise, like I said it’s a great beginning!

            73, de

            Dan Fisher, AI4GK

            http://www.arrl.org

            http://www.pcars.org

            http://ai4gk.r2i.net

            http://www.qrz.com/db/ai4gk

            Public Information Officer:

            Platinum Coast Amateur Radio Society;

            American Radio Relay League, Southern Florida Section

            Message 5 of 8 , May 1, 2011
              Nice job on the website, Mike.

              We gave SCOTA top billing here on the home page at ScoutRadio with a link to your new site.

              On a similar note, we've got a dead link right below it. Does anyone have any idea what the new URL is for the old ARRL SKEDS Database page might be? With the advent of the new ARRL website it seems to have dissapeared/moved. The Old URL is http://www.arrl.org/FandES/ead/youthskeds/

              Fraternally,

              Jon Pearl - W4ABC

              --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, "ab5eb" <ab5ebdxer@...> wrote:

              > Hey guys,
              >
              > After much discussion and work we are getting close to announcing a new award designed to increase interest in the general ham population in talking to Scout Camps. The website is www.scota.us it is not finished yet but I would like feedback. In particular you will find a directory with camps. I would like to know corrections that need to be done.
              >
              > Also if you know of a camp station callsign please let me know and I will add it to the list. If you are interested in being more involved just email me and I will add you to our yahoo group for SCOTA.
              >
              > Thanks
              >
              > Mike AB5EB

            • Frank Krizan
              Message 6 of 8 , May 1, 2011
                Hi Jon, et al,

                It appears the Youth Skeds Database is dead. The entire DB emptied out prior to the cutover to the new web site. I have sent numerous inquiries to HQ and several Directors and have not, in two years, received any kind of reply. Wait: I should say on one occasion, I was told that this has been a major conversion and that the staff is working on issues very hard and just be patient.

                I would recommend we delete the link and, when, if, one of us detects the YSD or something like it has returned, add a new link. Improvements to the YSD was one of the recommendations of the Scouting Advisory Committee which made its report last summer to the Board. Any improvement to ZERO is still ZERO.

                I'm hoping the new National Radio Scouting Committee at the BSA may be able to take this up down the line as a way for at least scout groups to stay in contact.

                73, Frank KR1ZAN

                On May 1, 2011, at 2:46 PM, Jon Pearl - W4ABC wrote:

                > Nice job on the website, Mike.
                >
                > We gave SCOTA top billing here on the home page at ScoutRadio with a link to your new site.
                >
                > On a similar note, we've got a dead link right below it. Does anyone have any idea what the new URL is for the old ARRL SKEDS Database page might be? With the advent of the new ARRL website it seems to have dissapeared/moved. The Old URL is http://www.arrl.org/FandES/ead/youthskeds/
                >
                > Fraternally,
                >
                > Jon Pearl - W4ABC
                >
                > --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, "ab5eb" <ab5ebdxer@...> wrote:
                > >
                > > Hey guys,
                > >
                > > After much discussion and work we are getting close to announcing a new award designed to increase interest in the general ham population in talking to Scout Camps. The website is www.scota.us it is not finished yet but I would like feedback. In particular you will find a directory with camps. I would like to know corrections that need to be done.
                > >
                > > Also if you know of a camp station callsign please let me know and I will add it to the list. If you are interested in being more involved just email me and I will add you to our yahoo group for SCOTA.
                > >
                > > Thanks
                > >
                > > Mike AB5EB

              • Mike Crownover

                  Message 8 of 8 , May 1, 2011
                    Hi Frank.

                    Thanks for the insight.

                    I'll pull the bad URL for now and if in the future we manage to find a
                    replacement, we'll deal with it at that time.

                    Thanks again.

                    Jon Pearl - W4ABC
                    http://www.w4abc.com