Re: A new camp ham station

  • ad5td
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 31 4:10 AM
      Glad to see you have a vibrant Summer Camp still going. Seven weeks is fantastic! Our local camp, Camp Karankawa in Mathis Texas, has gone from 6 weeks of 350+ boys a week, to 3 weeks of 250 if we are lucky. Unfortunately, Scouting is just "not cool" any more down here.

      --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, "Dale Lamm" <DaleLamm@...> wrote:

      > Venturing Crew 73 (Buckeye Council, Ohio) was recently granted the callsign
      > KD8PTR, a temporary till we get our vanity call.
      >
      > We have been welcomed to our Council's summer camp to start a Radio Merit
      > Badge program, the first year ever in this Council.
      >
      > The next two months will be very busy, constructing a shack (in an existing
      > 9x15 foot prefab shed) and preparing for seven weeks of summer camp. Young
      > Crew members will be on camp staff and responsible for teaching. Adult
      > leaders will maintain an advisory-support role.
      >
      > I'll be sure to announce the final callsign before the season begins. We are
      > all excited to be involved with something we love dearly; Scouting and ham
      > radio!
      >
      > 73 de Dale NX8J

    • w5xj2011
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 21, 2011
        Dale, I'm also happy to hear about your activity with the new scouting ham station. We are working to expand our camp station coverage in the Circle 10 Council in the Dallas / Fort Worth area of Texas. I have two sons in scouting, a Star & Life, and they are both impressed by PSK31 since the boys equate digital modes like PSK31 with "texting the world". I think digital modes are a great way to interest modern day youth in hamming and help grow our ranks.

        73!

        Grant Laughlin
        W5XJ
        http://www.circle10.org/site/c.owL1KgN4LxH/b.6589409/k.BF32/DFW_Radio_Scouting.htm

        --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, "Dale Lamm" <DaleLamm@...> wrote:

        > Venturing Crew 73 (Buckeye Council, Ohio) was recently granted the callsign
        > KD8PTR, a temporary till we get our vanity call.
        >
        > We have been welcomed to our Council's summer camp to start a Radio Merit
        > Badge program, the first year ever in this Council.
        >
        > The next two months will be very busy, constructing a shack (in an existing
        > 9x15 foot prefab shed) and preparing for seven weeks of summer camp. Young
        > Crew members will be on camp staff and responsible for teaching. Adult
        > leaders will maintain an advisory-support role.
        >
        > I'll be sure to announce the final callsign before the season begins. We are
        > all excited to be involved with something we love dearly; Scouting and ham
        > radio!
        >
        > 73 de Dale NX8J

      • Dale Lamm
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 24, 2011
          Agree with your thoughts on PSK31. Some Scouts are mike-shy, but have no
          problem at all using a keyboard. Some are also fascinated with the original
          digital mode pioneered by Mr. Morse.

          "Texting the world", now that's a good explanation!

          73 de Dale

          [snip]

          Dale, I'm also happy to hear about your activity with the new scouting ham
          station. We are working to expand our camp station coverage in the Circle 10
          Council in the Dallas / Fort Worth area of Texas. I have two sons in
          scouting, a Star & Life, and they are both impressed by PSK31 since the boys
          equate digital modes like PSK31 with "texting the world". I think digital
          modes are a great way to interest modern day youth in hamming and help grow
          our ranks.

          73!

          Grant Laughlin
          W5XJ