A new camp ham station

  • Dale Lamm
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 30, 2011
      Venturing Crew 73 (Buckeye Council, Ohio) was recently granted the callsign
      KD8PTR, a temporary till we get our vanity call.

      We have been welcomed to our Council's summer camp to start a Radio Merit
      Badge program, the first year ever in this Council.

      The next two months will be very busy, constructing a shack (in an existing
      9x15 foot prefab shed) and preparing for seven weeks of summer camp. Young
      Crew members will be on camp staff and responsible for teaching. Adult
      leaders will maintain an advisory-support role.

      I'll be sure to announce the final callsign before the season begins. We are
      all excited to be involved with something we love dearly; Scouting and ham
      radio!

      73 de Dale NX8J
    • ad5td
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 31, 2011
        Glad to see you have a vibrant Summer Camp still going. Seven weeks is fantastic! Our local camp, Camp Karankawa in Mathis Texas, has gone from 6 weeks of 350+ boys a week, to 3 weeks of 250 if we are lucky. Unfortunately, Scouting is just "not cool" any more down here.

        --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, "Dale Lamm" <DaleLamm@...> wrote:

        > Venturing Crew 73 (Buckeye Council, Ohio) was recently granted the callsign
        > KD8PTR, a temporary till we get our vanity call.
        >
        > We have been welcomed to our Council's summer camp to start a Radio Merit
        > Badge program, the first year ever in this Council.
        >
        > The next two months will be very busy, constructing a shack (in an existing
        > 9x15 foot prefab shed) and preparing for seven weeks of summer camp. Young
        > Crew members will be on camp staff and responsible for teaching. Adult
        > leaders will maintain an advisory-support role.
        >
        > I'll be sure to announce the final callsign before the season begins. We are
        > all excited to be involved with something we love dearly; Scouting and ham
        > radio!
        >
        > 73 de Dale NX8J

      • w5xj2011
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 21 9:10 AM
          Dale, I'm also happy to hear about your activity with the new scouting ham station. We are working to expand our camp station coverage in the Circle 10 Council in the Dallas / Fort Worth area of Texas. I have two sons in scouting, a Star & Life, and they are both impressed by PSK31 since the boys equate digital modes like PSK31 with "texting the world". I think digital modes are a great way to interest modern day youth in hamming and help grow our ranks.

          73!

          Grant Laughlin
          W5XJ
          http://www.circle10.org/site/c.owL1KgN4LxH/b.6589409/k.BF32/DFW_Radio_Scouting.htm

          --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, "Dale Lamm" <DaleLamm@...> wrote:

          > Venturing Crew 73 (Buckeye Council, Ohio) was recently granted the callsign
          > KD8PTR, a temporary till we get our vanity call.
          >
          > We have been welcomed to our Council's summer camp to start a Radio Merit
          > Badge program, the first year ever in this Council.
          >
          > The next two months will be very busy, constructing a shack (in an existing
          > 9x15 foot prefab shed) and preparing for seven weeks of summer camp. Young
          > Crew members will be on camp staff and responsible for teaching. Adult
          > leaders will maintain an advisory-support role.
          >
          > I'll be sure to announce the final callsign before the season begins. We are
          > all excited to be involved with something we love dearly; Scouting and ham
          > radio!
          >
          > 73 de Dale NX8J

        • Dale Lamm
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 24 4:40 PM
            Agree with your thoughts on PSK31. Some Scouts are mike-shy, but have no
            problem at all using a keyboard. Some are also fascinated with the original
            digital mode pioneered by Mr. Morse.

            "Texting the world", now that's a good explanation!

            73 de Dale

            [snip]

            Dale, I'm also happy to hear about your activity with the new scouting ham
            station. We are working to expand our camp station coverage in the Circle 10
            Council in the Dallas / Fort Worth area of Texas. I have two sons in
            scouting, a Star & Life, and they are both impressed by PSK31 since the boys
            equate digital modes like PSK31 with "texting the world". I think digital
            modes are a great way to interest modern day youth in hamming and help grow
            our ranks.

            73!

            Grant Laughlin
            W5XJ