Request for HAM support for Operation On Target on Sat., 7/21/200 1!

  • n7tek@amsat.org
    Message 1 of 1 , May 5, 2001
      Greetings fellow HAMs & Scouters on the "Scoutradio" list!

      I need your help to find HAMs (and others) to support the annual "Operation
      On Target" event for Varsity and Venture Scouts. What is On Target? Well
      in brief its an annual high adventure event held on the 3rd Saturday in July
      (7/21/2001 this year) for older Scouts where they climb to a mountain peak
      or other high point (like maybe a tall building, or other structure if no
      mountains are available) and attempt to flash mirrors at other units on
      other peaks. They confirm contacts via Amateur Radio (or in some cases if
      no HAMs are available using cell phones - however some areas have no
      cellular coverage). The goal is to get as many confirmed contacts as
      possible, to go as far as possible, and to try to create a chain of
      confirmed contacts as long as possible (ideally from Mexico to Canada and
      from the Pacific to the Atlantic Oceans). To learn more about On Target and
      how Amateur Radio is used visit the following links:

      http://www.ontargetbsa.org/what.htm
      http://www.ontargetbsa.org/index.html
      http://www.ontargetbsa.org/HAM_main.htm

      There will be contingent doing On Target back at the National Jamboree this
      year so if you will be back there be sure to check it out.

      What kind of support do we need? Well here's a short list:

      1. We need as many Varsity & Venture units to participate as we can get.
      So please talk to the units in your area and see if you can get them to
      participate. The more units involved the more fun each unit will have. If
      you can't find a unit in your area that wants to participate grab your HT, a
      mirror, a compass, and some binoculars and participate as a HAM or group of
      HAMs.

      2. We need HAMs to support the units in their area either on a mountain
      peak (or high point) or as an Area VHF/HF Gateway station to communicate
      with HAMs in other states and coordinate contacts. Each state needs to
      determine the simplex or repeater frequencies they will use and get them
      posted on the webpage at:

      http://www.ontargetbsa.org/HAM_hf.htm (if your state is not listed we'll add
      it)

      We still need someone to fill these Area VHF/HF Gateway stations in most
      states. Typically we have only done this out in the western U.S. but it
      would be REALLY COOL if we could have units and HAMs participating in all
      states (and at the National Jamboree)!

      3. Talk to your HAM buddies, and your local clubs and encourage them to
      help out and participate in any way they can. In many areas HAMs down in
      the valleys have been "bonus" contacts for Scout units in that they pulled
      out a mirror, and their HT and signaled Scout units from their back yards,
      or pulled over to the side of a road and signaled with a mirror from the
      hood of their car, or some have even taken a break at work and walked
      outside for a few minutes to signal the teams in their area. Every little
      bit helps.

      This can also be used as an ice breaker to introduce Amateur Radio (and
      perhaps talk about the JOTA event coming up in the Fall) to the Scouts in
      your area.

      If you would like to help please email me at:

      n7tek@...

      You can also signup for the On Target email list
      "bsa_on_target@yahoogroups.com" by visiting:

      Thank you for you time & 73!
      N7TEK - John Blackham, On Target Communications Coordinator
      John Blackham, N7TEK
      HOME ADDRESS:
      384 N. 75 E., North Salt Lake, UT 84054-2320
      PHONE: (H)801-295-3036 (W)801-588-1216
      EMAIL: n7tek@...