JOTA - Boys, Girls - Young, Old?

  • Jeff Burns
    Message 1 of 4 , May 1, 2001
      I am in the process of planning a JOTA event for my county, and am
      trying to decide what groups to include - Boy Scouts, Cup Scouts, Girl
      Scouts, and/or Brownies. I know that both boys and girls of various
      ages can enjoy JOTA separately, but I am not sure how it will work with
      them all together. If I include the younger ages the odder ones may
      think the event is for Children and be turned off. Mixing the boys and
      girls may also have sum interesting consequences.

      I have been trying to devise strategies to make the older Scouts feel
      they are getting special treatment. One approach is to have the main
      JOTA activity from about 1 to 4 P.M. During this time the Cubs, and
      Brownies will be the primary guests. I can ask a few Boy Scout troops
      to come early (possibly camping the night before.) They can help the
      radio people set up. One Patrol can be assigned to each station. When
      everything is set up the Scouts can help "test the station." That way
      thy will be on the air without knowing they are participating in an
      "activity." During the afternoon the Scouts that helped set up a
      station can stay and help the cubs.

      I am also thinking of having the Order of the Arrow sell refreshments.
      They do this as a fundraiser at many events in our area. It will also
      help get more scouts participating.

      I am also wandering how long various ages of kids will be interested in
      the radio. How long should I plain to have one group at the stations?

      Jeff
      AD9T

      http://auctions.yahoo.com/
    • andy.carlile
      Message 2 of 4 , May 2, 2001
        from my experiances here in the uk they both work well together we how ever
        get greater support of numbers from the guides rather than the scouts, not
        from the want of trying i.e. press releases, group visits ect before the
        event
        but we still attract about 160 members during the weekend so give it a go
        my website for gb2gcs is www.glassman.ukf.net/radio.html
        good luck with your station hope to catch you on air
        best 73s Andy G0MNI

        > I am in the process of planning a JOTA event for my county, and am
        > trying to decide what groups to include - Boy Scouts, Cup Scouts, Girl
        > Scouts, and/or Brownies. I know that both boys and girls of various
        > ages can enjoy JOTA separately, but I am not sure how it will work with
        > them all together. If I include the younger ages the odder ones may
        > think the event is for Children and be turned off. Mixing the boys and
        > girls may also have sum interesting consequences.
        >
        > I have been trying to devise strategies to make the older Scouts feel
        > they are getting special treatment. One approach is to have the main
        > JOTA activity from about 1 to 4 P.M. During this time the Cubs, and
        > Brownies will be the primary guests. I can ask a few Boy Scout troops
        > to come early (possibly camping the night before.) They can help the
        > radio people set up. One Patrol can be assigned to each station. When
        > everything is set up the Scouts can help "test the station." That way
        > thy will be on the air without knowing they are participating in an
        > "activity." During the afternoon the Scouts that helped set up a
        > station can stay and help the cubs.
        >
        > I am also thinking of having the Order of the Arrow sell refreshments.
        > They do this as a fundraiser at many events in our area. It will also
        > help get more scouts participating.
        >
        > I am also wandering how long various ages of kids will be interested in
        > the radio. How long should I plain to have one group at the stations?
        >
        > Jeff
        > AD9T

        address' etc)

      • Brian P. Mileshosky
        Message 3 of 4 , May 2, 2001
          Jeff,

          My comments below:

          > I am in the process of planning a JOTA event for my county, and am
          > trying to decide what groups to include - Boy Scouts, Cup Scouts, Girl
          > Scouts, and/or Brownies. I know that both boys and girls of various
          > ages can enjoy JOTA separately, but I am not sure how it will work with
          > them all together. If I include the younger ages the odder ones may
          > think the event is for Children and be turned off. Mixing the boys and
          > girls may also have sum interesting consequences.

          My overall pinion is to include them ALL. Perhaps set times for each to
          keep the seperate, or just let them all do it together. The idea is to let
          them have fun and learn about Amateur Radio. To me, this is also a prime
          opportunity to promote our hobby to the youth (the future of our hobby
          that's filled with a crowd whos average age is alarmingly high) and perhaps
          interest them into getting their licenses so they can continue having fun
          and possibly use it to benefit their home units.

          > I have been trying to devise strategies to make the older Scouts feel
          > they are getting special treatment. One approach is to have the main
          > JOTA activity from about 1 to 4 P.M. During this time the Cubs, and
          > Brownies will be the primary guests. I can ask a few Boy Scout troops
          > to come early (possibly camping the night before.) They can help the
          > radio people set up. One Patrol can be assigned to each station. When
          > everything is set up the Scouts can help "test the station." That way
          > thy will be on the air without knowing they are participating in an
          > "activity." During the afternoon the Scouts that helped set up a
          > station can stay and help the cubs.

          That would be a good idea, as far as setting times for the older scouts.
          But regardless of who you are having at any particular time (and I'm sure
          you know this already), PROGRAM IS THE MOST IMPORTANT ASPECT OF ANY EVENT.
          If the Scouts come and just talk to a few people on the radio and then were
          asked to leave to make room for more people, then they will go home
          unsatisfied. But if they can go home and tell their parents about the Morse
          code they played with, the DX they talked to on the radio they learned to
          use, the neat little radio they helped build, the satellite they talked to
          someone through and the hidden transmitter that had an antenna that was
          disguised as a dried out cactus they found hidden between some rocks, they
          will most likely be back next year. As for the older Scouts, program is
          even more important. I'm sure you have a great program already planned, but
          I figured I's mention this for everyone else readong this.

          > I am also thinking of having the Order of the Arrow sell refreshments.
          > They do this as a fundraiser at many events in our area. It will also
          > help get more scouts participating.

          Excellent. I like this idea, too, as it gets the OA out to help with an
          unique and fun event, too -- which is good for the younger boys, some of
          whom will be elected into the Order themselves when they become eligible.

          73 and In Brotherhood,
          Brian
        • Dave Colter
          Message 4 of 4 , May 2, 2001
            Hi Jeff,

            Sounds like you're trying to put together a large event.  I've done JOTA for up to 200 boys in one day with one station, and it was not a huge success for reasons you'll discover below.  The first thing to remember is the primary goal of JOTA - to allow our Scouts to communicate with other Scouts and Guides around the world, sharing experiences and ideas about Scouting - not ham radio.  Any other activities you do should be secondary to that goal.  It is very easy for us hams to forget that this is NOT a ham radio event - we are only a communication medium for JOTA.  Jamboree On The Internet (JOTI) is going on at the same time, and you might consider combining the two events to be sure we achieve the primary goal.

            The way to approach the size of the total group is to take the number of stations, assume they can handle 5-8 groups a day (depending on your schedule), times 8 Scouts.  So, 5 stations X 5 groups/day X 8 Scouts/group = 200.  Mixing invitations to Boy and Girl Scouts is fine, but you will find that Girl Scout groups are few and far between on JOTA.  Be sure to let them know that they will be talking to Boy Scouts as well as Girl Scouts and Girl Guides.  ("Guides" is what Girl Scouts are called in most of the world.)

            The real trick is to get as many kids as possible on the air, in real conversations with other Scouts.  What I've found is that many are mic shy for quite a while, and by the time they get up the courage to go on, it's the end of their session.  If the conditions and conversations are good, and the group isn't too big (patrols are the best size), you can keep their interest for up to an hour, but that last half hour is going to be touch and go unless things are really hopping on the air.  Another trick is to keep extraneous noise and activity to an absolute minimum.  If you are all in one big room, like a cafeteria, it isn't going to work - too much distraction.  Quiet, separate rooms are best.  Refreshments in the room help a great deal to relax them.  If you can get a few conversations going on a digital mode such as RTTY or PSK, the shy ones will do well with that.

            Plan to have at least two or three ops at each station.  One can handle on-air stuff, the other two can handle questions and keeping the boys waiting busy and interested.  Have lots of international Scouting info on hand and some ham radio stuff, too.  Whatever you do, don't do too much ham radio promotion.  It will only interest a small percentage of the Scouts, and the rest will feel left out. We've had info on key words in other languages, such as "hello", "Scout", and so on, with pronunciation guides, the World Organisation of the Scout Movement (WOSM) chart showing the logos of all the Scout associations around the world, pictures of foreign Scouts and activities, Scout catalogs and magazines from other countries (this takes a bit of work well in advance), info on upcoming world jamborees, and basic information on ham radio (nothing complex - it scares them off). !  Be sure to tune SSB for the most natural sounding voice. I've found kids are put off by the Donald Duck sound because they can't relate to it as the voice of another kid

            If you want to have other radio and international Scouting related activities going on to fill out the weekend, consider JOTI, hidden transmitter hunt races, radio merit badge classes, electronic kit building, foreign Scout games, displays on Scouting around the world, world jamboree videos, etc..  For information on JOTI, visit the www.ScoutLink.org site.  My Scouts have done both JOTA and JOTI and liked JOTI much better - it was faster paced, allowed them direct and greater control over conversations, didn't suffer from QRM, QRN, QSB, and funny accents, and the computer use was familiar to them (another good reason to try digital modes).  As much as I think the accents add to the romance of the event, it's pretty tough for radio newbies to pick any intelligibility out of the noise, let alone one with a thick accent.

            For information on WOSM visit www.scout.org.  It has links to all the other Scout associations around the world who have websites.  Another interesting site is www.scouttraveler.org.  If you need international and historical Scouting photos, try my Scouting photos archive at www.geocities.com/nhscouter/photos/oldpicspage.html.  For information on Radio Merit Badge, try www.meritbadge.com and the Scout section of www.arrl.org.  I've put a larger list of international Scouting sites below this message.

            If you are going to teach the merit badge on that day, you won't be able to finish it all.  Do the things you need to do teaching-wise on site, and either set up a second and third meeting in the future (get names, addresses, phone numbers, email addresses, etc from those who wish to continue).  You can even do some of the work by email or snail mail if distances are a problem, or set up multiple classes with instructors in different areas.  Meritbadge.com has a great workbook for teaching the badge in MS Word format - I am currently using it in a class and it simplifies the job considerably.

            Hope this all helps!,
            Dave Colter, WA1ZCN
            Daniel Webster Council, BSA

            International Scouting
            This is not a complete list - visit the World Scouting site listed below for more...
            World Scouting: http://www.scout.org/
            World Scout Shop: http://www.worldscoutshop.org
            World Scout Events Calendar: http://www.scout.org/wse/events.html
            Jamboree On The Internet (JOTI):  http://www.scoutlink.org/joti/index.html