Re: [ScoutRadio] Operating Hours and Bands

  • Paul Joosten
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 2, 2010
      Hi all,

      Worked both K6BSA and K2BSA from our own Centennary Jubilee Jamboree in Holland so they are there! Watch the DXcluster and post a spot if you like. From my own experience I know it's practically impossible to set up a good schedule for operating, let alone adhere to it. Whenever possible I let kids operate and use 600Ohm help if need be to establish contact when the kids are in the shack. Look for us for another scout contact!

      73 de Paul PA5UL @ PA100J/J

      2010/8/3 aar4ha <aar4ha@...>
      I have not been able to hear the scouts in the past few days.

      Just wondering if I started a thread it could be updated with spots from the members monitioring. Please keep me posted on which band, LSB/USB, and specific frequency (I understand they are bouncing around due to QRM).

      My son, KI4UOU, is at the Jamboree and was going to try to make contact today!

      Thanks everone, and 73,

      Elizabeth, K4KTG

      <*> Your email settings:
         Individual Email | Traditional

      <*> To change settings online go to:
         (Yahoo! ID required)

      <*> To change settings via email:
         ScoutRadio-digest@yahoogroups.com
         ScoutRadio-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

         http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

    • Dale Lamm
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 3, 2010
        [snip]

        I have not been able to hear the scouts in the past few days.

        Just wondering if I started a thread it could be updated with spots from the
        members monitioring. Please keep me posted on which band, LSB/USB, and
        specific frequency (I understand they are bouncing around due to QRM).

        My son, KI4UOU, is at the Jamboree and was going to try to make contact
        today!

        Thanks everone, and 73,

        Elizabeth, K4KTG

        [end]

        It has required a bit of luck to make a good contact with Jambo. Last week,
        the A index was 15 and bands were less quiet than they are today. My only
        Q's with K2BSA have been around 9-10 AM Eastern. Only have them on 40
        meters. Heard them on 20 Monday.

        Have seen K2BSA spots on the usual places (DX Summit, etc).

        GL!
      • Bill Stewart, w2bsa
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 3, 2010
          Make that K2BSA since W2BSA is my call.

          Best 73,

          Bill, W2BSA

          On 8/2/2010 22:54, Doug Roberts wrote:

          Elizabeth:

          You may try to go to www.qrz.com and type in W2BSA in the callsign lookup.

          Last week, I notice that the detail screen on their page showed a running log that gave date, time and frequency. I cannot speak to how quickly it is updated, but I used it to locate the frequency they were on at the time.

          Hope that helps.

          Doug Roberts

          NEØA

          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 3, 2010

            Hi Paul,

            I wonder if my old friend Richard. PA3BAR, is participating? If so, say hello from the state Virginia.

            Ed/WA4ISI

            K2BSA Staff

            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 3, 2010
              Hi Everyone --

              K2BSA is now only QRV with dipoles. We're off the air now to pack
              everything else up, complete VE exams (we tested over 100 in the evening
              session last night and expect just as many tonight...conducted two
              sessions each day for the duration of the Jamboree), and take care of
              other things. As soon as some of my staff is freed up from other
              priorities, we will be back on the air, likely 20 and 40 meters. We'll
              try 80 if it's not too noisy, thought it is summertime.

              We will self spot occasionally when on the air, and I'm sure others will
              spot us as well. Keep an eye on www.dxwatch.com or DXsummit. Not sure how
              late we'll be on.

              We will go QRT tomorrow (Wed) sometime, I'm guessing, around 1:00pm EDT,
              and that'll be a wrap for our contribution to the 2010 National Scout
              Jamboree. As soon as we get home to decompress a bit we'll produce some
              impressive statistics and other notes of success.

              73,
              Brian N5ZGT

              On Mon, 2 Aug 2010, Brian Mileshosky wrote:

              > All --
              >
              > K2BSA is nearing the end of its operations at the National Scout Jamboree.
              > Today we had over 1,100 scouts through our station...today, alone. So far
              > well over 5,000 total -- over 10% of the Jamboree participants.
              >
              > Tomorrow we will spin down the gig. Bucket trucks arrive at some point
              > in the day to drop our monoband yagis, and we'll be left with two radios
              > QRV on dipoles which we can drop on Wednesday. Not sure what bands those
              > dipoles will be on -- 20 and 40 at minimum with 40 and 80 at night,
              > depending on which of our operators have steam to be on the air. It's
              > been a long few weeks, but so beneficial for scouting and ham radio. Look
              > on the DX clusters for where we are operating, as we've had QRM on our
              > published frequencies. We will self spot ourselves when on the air for
              > everybody's heads up.
              >
              > On Wednesday afternoon or evening, K2BSA at the 2010 National Scout
              > Jamboree will go QRT. Staff departs on Thursday.
              >
              > We appreciate all those who've contacted us, and look forward to everyone
              > who will contact us over the final few days.
              >
              > 73,
              > Brian N5ZGT
              > K2BSA Station manager/coordinator

              > http://www.ontargetbsa.org/