Operating Hours and Bands

  • aar4ha
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 2 5:15 PM
      I have not been able to hear the scouts in the past few days.

      Just wondering if I started a thread it could be updated with spots from the members monitioring. Please keep me posted on which band, LSB/USB, and specific frequency (I understand they are bouncing around due to QRM).

      My son, KI4UOU, is at the Jamboree and was going to try to make contact today!

      Thanks everone, and 73,

      Elizabeth, K4KTG
    • wb2boo
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 2 7:43 PM
        They just came up on 80 meters 3.831 LSB at 0230 Z. They just QSY'ed to 3895 and went QRT.

        First time I was able to work them as they've been going overhead on 40 and 20 all week. Guess that's better for the Scouts so they can talk to DX, so I didn't mind that much

        Scouter trick - When answering their CQ, answer with your call sign and council name. The Council name will be heard after the pile up and they will come back to you over the non-scouter hams.
      • wb2boo
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 2 7:53 PM
          Another note. It's almost impossible for K2BSA to come up on the air and NOT be spotted onto the DX Summit. Anyone can go to their site and look for the spots. http://www.dxsummit.fi/Default.aspx

          I use the free Logger32 software and have it program to sound a chime when a K2BSA spot is heard.

          73

          Gary, K2GW
        • Doug Roberts
          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 2 7:54 PM

            Elizabeth:

            You may try to go to www.qrz.com and type in W2BSA in the callsign lookup.

            Last week, I notice that the detail screen on their page showed a running log that gave date, time and frequency. I cannot speak to how quickly it is updated, but I used it to locate the frequency they were on at the time.

            Hope that helps.

            Doug Roberts

            NEØA

            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 2 7:56 PM
              Just after I posted that, the DX Summit reports them on 14.290 but they're over my head on 20. But you get the idea. Just follow them on the DX Summit.
            • Brian Mileshosky
              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 2 8:05 PM
                All --

                K2BSA is nearing the end of its operations at the National Scout Jamboree.
                Today we had over 1,100 scouts through our station...today, alone. So far
                well over 5,000 total -- over 10% of the Jamboree participants.

                Tomorrow we will spin down the gig. Bucket trucks arrive at some point
                in the day to drop our monoband yagis, and we'll be left with two radios
                QRV on dipoles which we can drop on Wednesday. Not sure what bands those
                dipoles will be on -- 20 and 40 at minimum with 40 and 80 at night,
                depending on which of our operators have steam to be on the air. It's
                been a long few weeks, but so beneficial for scouting and ham radio. Look
                on the DX clusters for where we are operating, as we've had QRM on our
                published frequencies. We will self spot ourselves when on the air for
                everybody's heads up.

                On Wednesday afternoon or evening, K2BSA at the 2010 National Scout
                Jamboree will go QRT. Staff departs on Thursday.

                We appreciate all those who've contacted us, and look forward to everyone
                who will contact us over the final few days.

                73,
                Brian N5ZGT
                K2BSA Station manager/coordinator
              • wb2boo
                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 2 8:19 PM
                  Super job, Brian! A "well done" to all of the hams down there who did it all in the heat and dust.

                  I've had two parents tell me that radiograms you delivered inspired their kids to visit K2BSA and they're now hooked. A younger son who just visited for the day spent yesterday online looking at ham gear!!

                  Great job on the ISS contact and I heard you even got the base commander to get licensed.

                  Super job!

                  73

                  Gary, K2GW
                • Paul Joosten
                  Message 8 of 12 , Aug 2 10:42 PM
                    Hi all,

                    Worked both K6BSA and K2BSA from our own Centennary Jubilee Jamboree in Holland so they are there! Watch the DXcluster and post a spot if you like. From my own experience I know it's practically impossible to set up a good schedule for operating, let alone adhere to it. Whenever possible I let kids operate and use 600Ohm help if need be to establish contact when the kids are in the shack. Look for us for another scout contact!

                    73 de Paul PA5UL @ PA100J/J

                    2010/8/3 aar4ha <aar4ha@...>
                    I have not been able to hear the scouts in the past few days.

                    Just wondering if I started a thread it could be updated with spots from the members monitioring. Please keep me posted on which band, LSB/USB, and specific frequency (I understand they are bouncing around due to QRM).

                    My son, KI4UOU, is at the Jamboree and was going to try to make contact today!

                    Thanks everone, and 73,

                    Elizabeth, K4KTG

                    <*> Your email settings:
                       Individual Email | Traditional

                    <*> To change settings online go to:
                       (Yahoo! ID required)

                    <*> To change settings via email:
                       ScoutRadio-digest@yahoogroups.com
                       ScoutRadio-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                       http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                  • Dale Lamm
                    Message 9 of 12 , Aug 3 1:51 AM
                      [snip]

                      I have not been able to hear the scouts in the past few days.

                      Just wondering if I started a thread it could be updated with spots from the
                      members monitioring. Please keep me posted on which band, LSB/USB, and
                      specific frequency (I understand they are bouncing around due to QRM).

                      My son, KI4UOU, is at the Jamboree and was going to try to make contact
                      today!

                      Thanks everone, and 73,

                      Elizabeth, K4KTG

                      [end]

                      It has required a bit of luck to make a good contact with Jambo. Last week,
                      the A index was 15 and bands were less quiet than they are today. My only
                      Q's with K2BSA have been around 9-10 AM Eastern. Only have them on 40
                      meters. Heard them on 20 Monday.

                      Have seen K2BSA spots on the usual places (DX Summit, etc).

                      GL!
                    • Bill Stewart, w2bsa

                        Message 11 of 12 , Aug 3 6:40 AM

                          Hi Paul,

                          I wonder if my old friend Richard. PA3BAR, is participating? If so, say hello from the state Virginia.

                          Ed/WA4ISI

                          K2BSA Staff

                          Message 12 of 12 , Aug 3 1:12 PM
                            Hi Everyone --

                            K2BSA is now only QRV with dipoles. We're off the air now to pack
                            everything else up, complete VE exams (we tested over 100 in the evening
                            session last night and expect just as many tonight...conducted two
                            sessions each day for the duration of the Jamboree), and take care of
                            other things. As soon as some of my staff is freed up from other
                            priorities, we will be back on the air, likely 20 and 40 meters. We'll
                            try 80 if it's not too noisy, thought it is summertime.

                            We will self spot occasionally when on the air, and I'm sure others will
                            spot us as well. Keep an eye on www.dxwatch.com or DXsummit. Not sure how
                            late we'll be on.

                            We will go QRT tomorrow (Wed) sometime, I'm guessing, around 1:00pm EDT,
                            and that'll be a wrap for our contribution to the 2010 National Scout
                            Jamboree. As soon as we get home to decompress a bit we'll produce some
                            impressive statistics and other notes of success.

                            73,
                            Brian N5ZGT

                            On Mon, 2 Aug 2010, Brian Mileshosky wrote:

                            > All --
                            >
                            > K2BSA is nearing the end of its operations at the National Scout Jamboree.
                            > Today we had over 1,100 scouts through our station...today, alone. So far
                            > well over 5,000 total -- over 10% of the Jamboree participants.
                            >
                            > Tomorrow we will spin down the gig. Bucket trucks arrive at some point
                            > in the day to drop our monoband yagis, and we'll be left with two radios
                            > QRV on dipoles which we can drop on Wednesday. Not sure what bands those
                            > dipoles will be on -- 20 and 40 at minimum with 40 and 80 at night,
                            > depending on which of our operators have steam to be on the air. It's
                            > been a long few weeks, but so beneficial for scouting and ham radio. Look
                            > on the DX clusters for where we are operating, as we've had QRM on our
                            > published frequencies. We will self spot ourselves when on the air for
                            > everybody's heads up.
                            >
                            > On Wednesday afternoon or evening, K2BSA at the 2010 National Scout
                            > Jamboree will go QRT. Staff departs on Thursday.
                            >
                            > We appreciate all those who've contacted us, and look forward to everyone
                            > who will contact us over the final few days.
                            >
                            > 73,
                            > Brian N5ZGT
                            > K2BSA Station manager/coordinator

                            > http://www.ontargetbsa.org/