Re: [ScoutRadio] Re: Amateur Radio at the 2013 BSA National Jamboree at The Summit

  • Ed Dudley
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 2, 2010

      Everyone has their own idea of what is needed at the new site for Amateur radio. Just as I do. I think there should be an advocate in the National office to convey the ideas. But, before that happens some one needs to coordinate ideas so that the people making the decision are not presented with conflicting ideas. After the experience at this last Jamboree with the overall performance of the Jamboree planning and decision making, we may be in for a rough time.  K2BSA was able to provide a quality program in spite of the incompetence of the non-Amateur staff. We are still waiting for delivery of our POD with requested support equipment for the Jamboree! We do not need this type of support. To the non amateur, K2BSA is just another small program area at the Jamboree. Right now there is little coordination in the operation of the Jamboree Station and the K2BSA operation in Texas. If this is the headquarters station of the BSA, then why is there no station at the headquarters? There is no actual station in the National Office.  The staff of the station in Texas and the Jamboree station do not coordinate equipment. The equipment is totally separate and not shared. Ray Moyer is the trustee for K2BSA and is the only person I have actually had contact with from the K2BSA operation in Texas since he became trustee following Dan Dansby. Ray is the only link between the two operations presently.

      Some discussion has been floating around about changing to an "8" call. But the headquarters is not moving to West Virginia. The headquarters is still going to be in Texas and K2BSA has operated for a long time with a "2" call in "5" land. I think it can operate just as well in "8" land. I think we dishonor those who worked hard to obtain K2BSA call when there was no vanity call sign program and those who have operated the station at Jamborees. Just about as soon as it was done, BSA moved to Texas. Maybe a different call for a permanent station in West Virginia,  a station in the National Office and use K2BSA for Jamboree use and in the office station.

      I would like to see a permanent station in the new area. With permanent antenna supports and antennas with at least the antenna system we have now. Also a testing and teaching area for the Jamboree with some weather proof facility for operations. I think one building could serve as operation point and class room if designed properly. Maybe a shelter with concrete floor attached to the rear of an operations building. How about it you design guys? Also, a permanent repeater system with an antenna that would cover the entire reservation area. Would sure be great for emergency communications in addition to Jamboree work

      These are some things to think about and to get started. But it is not going to get done without a great cooperative effort of the amateur radio community and scouts. there needs to be a committee formed to handle the ideas and present these to BSA for consideration. Lets get going on this.

      Ed Dudley/WA4ISI

      Loooooong time K2BSA Jamboree Station staff member

        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 2, 2010

          Bill,

          I did not mean to creat RFI. It is just that a lot of folks have put a lot of work into K2BSA at the Jamboree and I for one do not wish to see it changed and was just giving my thoughts. It was not pointed at anyone since I do not even know who said it. I do not participate in facebook. Everyone has an opinion and it is only fair that all are heard, pro or con on any part of the radio outlook for 2013. As for the Jamboree mess, I am sure it will be discussed FULLY elsewhere. The radio part was not a problem. I wonder if this forum might not be better than facebook for a discussion on radio at the Summit. Or perhaps a group just for the discussion of Amateur Radio at the Summit.Thanks for your thoughts.

          73,

          Ed/WA4ISI

          K2BSA Staff

          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 3, 2010
            >> It's not too early to start planning for Amateur Radio
            >> operations at the 2013 National Scout Jamboree.
            >> [to be near Beckley, WV]
            >> BSA is currently soliciting input on what
            >> facilities they should construct there.

            A quick check on APRS.FI reveals an IGate WB8YUE right in the center of Beckley, though the nearest digipeater is 60 miles away. So looking for a place to put an APRS digipeaeter with good camp coverage would be a good project...

            Plus surrounding digis to aid in continuous coverage to the 10,000 people converging on the area...

            Bob, WB4APR
          • Stephen M. Shearer
            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 5, 2010

              See http://www.newriverwv.com/The_Summit_Bechtel_Family_National_Scouting_Reserve.php