Re: Amateur Radio at the 2013 BSA National Jamboree at The Summit

  • wb2boo
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 2, 2010
      --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, Frank Krizan <frank.krizan@...> wrote:

      > For those of us who cannot accept the Terms and Conditions of Facebook, is another avenue set up to accept comments?

      I'm not sure. That's what they're using as their primary audience is the Scouts at Jamboree. But I think National Headquarters still accepts regular mail. You can even use the new Scouting postage stamp. ;-)

      73

      Gary, K2GW
    • wb2boo
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 2, 2010
        --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Stewart, w2bsa" <w2bsa@...> wrote:
        > Might be worth jumping on at the K2BSA guys earliest convenience.

        I'm sure Bill who's the head of K2BSA Operations and Rocky Mountain Director of the ARRL will be involved once he recovers from the Hill. Bill's a member of this Yahoo group and led the ARRL Ad Hoc Committee on Scouting ;-)

        > The only reason that I haven't put my name in to help at A.P. Hill is that I don't do well in the DC area heat.

        I'm in the same boat about heat. But the Summit folks tell me it's about 10- 15 degrees cooler than Fort AP Hill in the summer, so I'm looking forward to helping in any way I can. Suprisingly it's only an 8 hour drive from my home in NJ according to Google Maps!

        To get an idea of the size of the place, plus the parkland we abut and have been given 100 year access to, see the following video.

        http://www.casttv.com/video/dytc3z/planning-for-the-summit-bechtel-family-national-scout-reserve-video

        So it's no longer "See you at the Hill", but "Meet you on the Summit" ! Let's all work to get them permanently on the air no matter what the callsign. Sucha permanetn station will probably expose more kids to Amateur Radio than all of the school based radio clubs combined!

        73

        Gary, K2GW
      • Brian Mileshosky
        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 2, 2010
          Guys,

          With all due respect, let's not jump the gun on this. Several of us
          who've been doing K2BSA for a long time at Jamboree are in contact with
          apprpriate people within BSA about getting established at the new site in
          2013. I'm in touch with ARRL, as a member of its Board, and have working
          relationships with the major manufacturers for possible assistance.

          Additionally, just because it's moving to West Virginia, there appears to
          be no need to seek a vanity callsign. K2BSA has been used for decades.
          It's synonymous with ham radio and Boy Scouts of America. There's no need
          to rush off for a vanity call, even for operations that take place in
          between Jamborees.

          If I may, let me ask everyone here to share ideas, but hold off on action.
          Several of us are working with champions within BSA National and this
          needs to be done methodically. Everyone, with best intentions, doing
          several things without any coordination will only make the job more
          difficult and us (K2BSA) appear less coordinated when we need to put our
          best foot forward before National.

          We're all wanting the same thing. Keep the ideas coming, but hold off on
          action until we find out from the real decision makers within BSA what
          action is necessary in the first place, by when, and from whom.

          73,
          Brian N5ZGT
          ARRL Director, Rocky Mountain Division
          2010 K2BSA Station Coordinator, National Scout Jamboree

          On the web at www.RockyMountainDivision.org
        • Brian Mileshosky
          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 2, 2010
            An adendum to my email below...once the staff of K2BSA gets home and
            decompresses we'll all be anxious to get to talking about what's next for
            2013. The key staff and professionals within BSA have already been
            talking about K2BSA and 2013 since the beginning of Jamboree, so that
            dialogue is in progress. But then comes the ideas of hams like you who
            have a passion for the hobby/service and scouting.

            This will be a good forum for discussing things, and we'll give it due
            attention once we get home, take a shower (or twenty), and get our voices
            back (for whatever that has to do with typing emails, Hi!).

            73,
            Brian N5ZGT

            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 2, 2010
              > The key staff and professionals within BSA have already been
              > talking about K2BSA and 2013 since the beginning of Jamboree, so that
              > dialogue is in progress. But then comes the ideas of hams like you who
              > have a passion for the hobby/service and scouting.
              >
              > This will be a good forum for discussing things, and we'll give it due
              > attention once we get home, take a shower (or twenty), and get our voices
              > back (for whatever that has to do with typing emails, Hi!).
              >
              > 73,
              > Brian N5ZGT

              No problem, Bill. As I said before, we'll let you take the lead on this since you have the credentials both with BSA and ARRL.

              But if a lot of folks want to let the folks planning the Summit know that they thinbk a permanent Amateur Radio station there (without getting into any specifics yet about callsigns, size, etc.) is a good idea, it won't hurt when Bill makes his formal proposal to them.

              Thanks again Bill and the K2BSA staffers, even though I still haven't worked you this time yet ;-)

              73

              Gary, K2GW
            • Ed Dudley
              Message 6 of 13 , Aug 2, 2010

                Everyone has their own idea of what is needed at the new site for Amateur radio. Just as I do. I think there should be an advocate in the National office to convey the ideas. But, before that happens some one needs to coordinate ideas so that the people making the decision are not presented with conflicting ideas. After the experience at this last Jamboree with the overall performance of the Jamboree planning and decision making, we may be in for a rough time.  K2BSA was able to provide a quality program in spite of the incompetence of the non-Amateur staff. We are still waiting for delivery of our POD with requested support equipment for the Jamboree! We do not need this type of support. To the non amateur, K2BSA is just another small program area at the Jamboree. Right now there is little coordination in the operation of the Jamboree Station and the K2BSA operation in Texas. If this is the headquarters station of the BSA, then why is there no station at the headquarters? There is no actual station in the National Office.  The staff of the station in Texas and the Jamboree station do not coordinate equipment. The equipment is totally separate and not shared. Ray Moyer is the trustee for K2BSA and is the only person I have actually had contact with from the K2BSA operation in Texas since he became trustee following Dan Dansby. Ray is the only link between the two operations presently.

                Some discussion has been floating around about changing to an "8" call. But the headquarters is not moving to West Virginia. The headquarters is still going to be in Texas and K2BSA has operated for a long time with a "2" call in "5" land. I think it can operate just as well in "8" land. I think we dishonor those who worked hard to obtain K2BSA call when there was no vanity call sign program and those who have operated the station at Jamborees. Just about as soon as it was done, BSA moved to Texas. Maybe a different call for a permanent station in West Virginia,  a station in the National Office and use K2BSA for Jamboree use and in the office station.

                I would like to see a permanent station in the new area. With permanent antenna supports and antennas with at least the antenna system we have now. Also a testing and teaching area for the Jamboree with some weather proof facility for operations. I think one building could serve as operation point and class room if designed properly. Maybe a shelter with concrete floor attached to the rear of an operations building. How about it you design guys? Also, a permanent repeater system with an antenna that would cover the entire reservation area. Would sure be great for emergency communications in addition to Jamboree work

                These are some things to think about and to get started. But it is not going to get done without a great cooperative effort of the amateur radio community and scouts. there needs to be a committee formed to handle the ideas and present these to BSA for consideration. Lets get going on this.

                Ed Dudley/WA4ISI

                Loooooong time K2BSA Jamboree Station staff member

                > For those of us who cannot accept the Terms and Conditions of Facebook, is another avenue set up to accept comments?

                I'm not sure. That's what they're using as their primary audience is the Scouts at Jamboree. But I think National Headquarters still accepts regular mail. You can even use the new Scouting postage stamp. ;-)

                73

                Gary, K2GW

              • Bill Stewart

                  Message 8 of 13 , Aug 2, 2010

                    Bill,

                    I did not mean to creat RFI. It is just that a lot of folks have put a lot of work into K2BSA at the Jamboree and I for one do not wish to see it changed and was just giving my thoughts. It was not pointed at anyone since I do not even know who said it. I do not participate in facebook. Everyone has an opinion and it is only fair that all are heard, pro or con on any part of the radio outlook for 2013. As for the Jamboree mess, I am sure it will be discussed FULLY elsewhere. The radio part was not a problem. I wonder if this forum might not be better than facebook for a discussion on radio at the Summit. Or perhaps a group just for the discussion of Amateur Radio at the Summit.Thanks for your thoughts.

                    73,

                    Ed/WA4ISI

                    K2BSA Staff

                    > For those of us who cannot accept the Terms and Conditions of Facebook, is another avenue set up to accept comments?

                    I'm not sure. That's what they're using as their primary audience is the Scouts at Jamboree. But I think National Headquarters still accepts regular mail. You can even use the new Scouting postage stamp. ;-)

                    73

                    Gary, K2GW

                  • Bob Bruninga
                    Message 9 of 13 , Aug 3, 2010
                      >> It's not too early to start planning for Amateur Radio
                      >> operations at the 2013 National Scout Jamboree.
                      >> [to be near Beckley, WV]
                      >> BSA is currently soliciting input on what
                      >> facilities they should construct there.

                      A quick check on APRS.FI reveals an IGate WB8YUE right in the center of Beckley, though the nearest digipeater is 60 miles away. So looking for a place to put an APRS digipeaeter with good camp coverage would be a good project...

                      Plus surrounding digis to aid in continuous coverage to the 10,000 people converging on the area...

                      Bob, WB4APR
                    • Stephen M. Shearer
                      Message 10 of 13 , Aug 5, 2010

                        See http://www.newriverwv.com/The_Summit_Bechtel_Family_National_Scouting_Reserve.php