NTS Digital Traffic to K2BSA

  • wb2boo
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 28, 2010
      Hi Brian & crew.

      I've now sent about 14 Radiograms via NTS Digital in behalf of our council's parents to Scouts at the Jambo, one of which was a priority regarding a college acceptance.

      Please confirm whether K2BSA is connecting regularly with Virginia NTS nets to pick them up them and distribute them to the SubCamp Post offices or directly to the troops.

      Also, hopefully the 1911 Handbook replica station made it to you.

      Thanks for all you do and stay hydrated. Remember our camp's mantra repeated at every meal... "A hydrated Scout is a happy Scout... A dehydrated Scout is a dead Scout.... And dead Scouts have no fun!!!"

      73

      Gary Wilson, K2GW
      Unit Commissioner
      Mercer Area District
      CNJ Council
    • Brian Mileshosky
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 28, 2010
        Gary --

        I believe we have all of them, as I recall seeing the one on the college
        acceptance. Working to parcel them out as quickly as we can via the 2
        meter net each evening and otherwise.

        Also, we have the spark gap and it's integrated itself very nicely in our
        tour/presentation to the Scouts.

        I'm checking voicemail only about once every 1-2 days due to being slammed
        with the boys. We presented to and gave station tours and demonstrations
        to about 650 boys yesterday alone. About 150 the day prior (which was
        when they were all traveling to the Jamboree). Fun but busy times!

        73,
        Brian N5ZGT

        On Wed, 28 Jul 2010, wb2boo wrote:

        > Hi Brian & crew.
        >
        > I've now sent about 14 Radiograms via NTS Digital in behalf of our council's parents to Scouts at the Jambo, one of which was a priority regarding a college acceptance.
        >
        > Please confirm whether K2BSA is connecting regularly with Virginia NTS nets to pick them up them and distribute them to the SubCamp Post offices or directly to the troops.
        >
        > Also, hopefully the 1911 Handbook replica station made it to you.
        >
        > Thanks for all you do and stay hydrated. Remember our camp's mantra repeated at every meal... "A hydrated Scout is a happy Scout... A dehydrated Scout is a dead Scout.... And dead Scouts have no fun!!!"
        >
        > 73
        >
        > Gary Wilson, K2GW
        > Unit Commissioner
        > Mercer Area District
        > CNJ Council

        > http://www.ontargetbsa.org/

        ARRL Director, Rocky Mountain Division
        On the web at www.RockyMountainDivision.org
      • wb2boo
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 28, 2010
          Thanks, Brian and the K2BSA crew and for all that you're doing down there! You guys are awesome. I'm glad to know that the NTS connection to K2BSA is working for the parent's Radiograms!

          I'm also glad that "Sparky", the 1911 Handbook transmitter and receiver, made it there OK to show the Scouts how far we've come in 100 years. Who knows what the radios of 2110 will look like when BSA celebrates it's 200th birthday!

          Let me know if there's anything you guys need down there (except for ice ! ) and we'll find a way to get it to you. Call or e-mail me 24/7.

          Gary Wilson, K2GW
          UC Mercer Area District
          Central New Jersey Council
        • Brian Mileshosky
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 1, 2010
            Hi Everyone --

            Greetings from the 2010 National Scout Jamboree.

            Collectors on this list might be interested in knowing that a K2BSA staff
            patch and QSL card signed by the 2010 K2BSA staff is available for bid on
            eBay. The proceeds will go to offset costs of this year's operation
            not covered under any budgets (i.e. out of the pocket of the staff) and
            also to be put towards expenses of planning for K2BSA to be established
            at the 2013 National Scout Jamboree in West Virginia.

            Only a few of these sets will be available.

            Do a search for "K2BSA" on eBay or look for item number 330457133034.

            As an aside, I apologize if this is an inappropriate posting, as I
            couldn't find posting guidelines on this list's web page.

            Two days remain in our historic operation at the 2010 National Jamboree
            and we will post a summary of the great job our staff has done introducing
            as many of the 43,000 participants as possible to the awesome world of ham
            radio.

            73,
            Brian N5ZGT
          • Kris Alberga
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 2, 2010
              Brian:

              I was up at the Jamboree for a couple days over the weekend - working as an agency exhibitor on the conservation and environment trail.  I didn't have much free time to roam around, but I did make it over to K2BSA and have a brief chat with Lenand (N5DGH) when I picked up my QSL card.

              I just wanted everyone getting your email to know what a great station you folks have put together.  The jamboree will be moving form Ft. AP Hill  to the Bechtel Summit Base and there are a lot of new setup costs that will be involved in getting K2BSA up and running in a new location (purchasing and setting a number of telephone poles/antenna masts, etc...).  You guys did (are doing) an amazing job as ambassadors of our hobby to "the younger generation".  Thanks!!

              YiS --- Kris (WY2V)

              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 2, 2010
                Hi Brian:

                From the parents I've spoken to from our council, you guys have done a great job in getting a number of our Scouts hooked on Amateur Radio. Well done!

                Anything we can do to help you guys to defray out of pocket costs such as your post is certainly appropriate.

                I only wish you guys didn't have as good antennas as you did! Even your 40 meter ops were going over my head here in NJ as I could hear everyone answering you on 20 and 40 but you were very faint here.

                73

                Gary, K2GW
              • Bill Stewart, w2bsa
                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 2, 2010
                  Yeah, that's a problem here in the DC area as well. We are about 75 highway miles and maybe
                  about 30 or 40 air miles from A.P. Hill.

                  73,
                  Bill, W2BSA

                  Hi Brian: