Making your home council more "Radio Aware"

  • wb2boo
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 22, 2010

       Here's an approach I use for each Jamboree to help make Scout Leaders and Parents in my local council more aware of Amateur Radio.  I arange for a message like this to be sent on the District's mailing list and in the councils' weekly e-letter.  Feel free to substitue ypu own e-mail address or that of a local NTS traffic handler (contact your STM if you don't know one) and send it out on yours.

      That way when ypu promote your Radio Merit Badge Day, folks might remember some ways in which radio is helpful to Scouting.

      73 & YIS

      Gary, K2GW

                                          Connecting via Radio to the 2010 BSA National Jamboree.

      The 2010 BSA National Jamboree gets underway on Monday July 26.  For us here at home, there are still two ways to stay connected, both related to Radio Merit Badge.

      The first is by sending free radiogram messages to participants.  Amateur Radio operators are known for getting messages through when everything else fails. To "be prepared" for disasters, we practice sending messages year round.

      So friends and relatives may compose short radiogram messages for free relay via Amateur Radio to Scouts and Leaders attending the BSA National Jamboree. An example follows:

      -------

      Billy Boy Scout
      Jamboree Troop XXXX
      Subcamp No. XX
      Bowling Green VA 22428-XXXX  (the zip plus four is the jamboree troop number)

      Hope you are having fun at the jamboree. Weather here is hot.
      Missy had six puppies. See you when you get back.

      Love,
      Mom and Dad

      ----------

      Please limit the text to about 25 words. Nonsensical or inappropriate messages cannot be sent. Also, it ' s vital that the JAMBOREE Troop (not the regular home troop) number be in the address or the message won ' t be delivered.

      The messages may be e-mailed to (substitute your email address here)  . They ' ll then be sent via Amateur Radio to K2BSA at the jamboree ( http://www.nsj2010ham.com ) where they ' ll be printed and forwarded to the subcamp post office.

      "We ' ll do our best", but there ' s no guarantee that every message will be delivered. As these are not priority messages, it may take a few days to get to the Scout, so please don ' t send messages after August 2nd.

      Of course, emergency messages should be sent using the procedures given to you by the Scout's Jamboree troop.

       ----

       The second way to stay connected is by listening to the streaming audio of the temporary radio broadcast station that serves the Jamboree, QBSA ,"The Eagle", 91.5 FM.  You should be able to link to their live streaming audio over the internet from their website at http://qbsa.troop184.net/ once they start broadcasting.  QBSA is also on Facebook and Twitter.

       If things are like previous jamborees, it is really cool to listen to and gives a good flavor of what ' s going on at "the Hill".  They also simulcast the audio from all of the arena shows.

       The morning show from 5:30 AM to 9:00 AM is led by the adult staff, most of whom are professional broadcasters coaching the youth the rest of the day.  It's very well done and a lot of fun with Jambo news, sports, weather, contests, and music.

      9 AM to 5 PM has Scouts working on the broadcast option for Radio Merit Badge by doing half hour shifts as DJ ' s and sportscasters.   The Youth Staff take over from 5 PM until 11 PM. Listen for "Taps" at lights out at 10:15 PM followed by quiet music to fall asleep by.

      -------

      If you have any questions, please contact me at (substitute your email address here)

      73 (that ' s Morse Code for Best Wishes)

      Gary Wilson, K2GW
      Radio Merit Badge Counselor

      Mercer Area District, CNJ Council, BSA

    • J.Gordon Beattie, Jr., W2TTT
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 22, 2010

        Gary,

        Are you going to be at the National Jamboree?  If you are, where?  I will be at Troop 505’s campsite and welcome you and other Scouter/Scouts-Hams to our site.  Feel free to email me or text or call me if interested.  We also will be running NJ2BS, so keep that in mind as you also listen for W2TTT.

        Yours in Scouting!
        Thanks & 73,

        Gordon Beattie, W2TTT

        201.314.6964

        ------------ --------- --------- --------- -

        __________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 5302 (20100722) __________

        http://www.eset.com

        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 23, 2010
          Gordon:

          I thought "For us here at home, there are still two ways to stay connected, both related to Radio Merit Badge" made it it clear that I'm staying at home, but thanks for the invite. I hope other hams do get to visit you. And let your NJ contingent's parents know they can use me for sending NTS traffic to you.

          While I love Scouting, hot weather makes me grouchy, so for the benefit of Scouting, I usually pass on Jamboree roles since they've been held at Fort AP Hill in July. I'm looking forward to the 2013 Jamboree in the mountains of West Virginia where it should be a bit cooler.

          --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, "J.Gordon Beattie, Jr., W2TTT" <w2ttt@...> wrote:

          > Gary,
          >
          > Are you going to be at the National Jamboree? If you are, where? I will be at Troop 505's campsite and welcome you and other Scouter/Scouts-Hams to our site. Feel free to email me or text or call me if interested. We also will be running NJ2BS, so keep that in mind as you also listen for W2TTT.
          >
          > Yours in Scouting!
          > Thanks & 73,
          >
          > Gordon Beattie, W2TTT
          > 201.314.6964
        • J.Gordon Beattie, Jr., W2TTT
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 23, 2010

            Gary,

            I’m a little slow on the uptake!

            I too am looking forward to the next Jamboree.  Hopefully, I’ll get there again.  It will be my youngest’s second Jamboree and different than the ones that his older brothers experienced.

            I’ll pass the idea of Radiograms along to our Troop parents, but they are more likely to pick up a cell phone and text or call.

            Yours in Scouting!

            Thanks & 73,

            Gordon Beattie, W2TTT

            201.314.6964