Re: Radio Scholarship Re: [ScoutRadio] Re: New to the Group and Hobby

  • Bill Stewart, w2bsa
    Message 1 of 12 , May 10, 2010
      Folks,
      Note also that two of the three required merit badges are Eagle Required merit badges. They are Emergency Preparedness and Communications. So this program has the added benefit of getting the Boy Scout or Venturing male youth, of 1st class rank or higher, to earn merit badges toward Eagle.
      This would be a great program for Boy Scout or Venturing Boys on a National Level.

      YiS and WWW,

      Bill Stewart, W2BSA

      On 5/10/2010 08:26, Stephen M. Zelenko wrote:
      Hello All,
      Why not take it to the next step! Get the scouts that earn the radio merit badge on the air! If the badge is taught right way the scouts have the majority of information they need to pass their Technician class ticket. I have also developed a way for my local Scouts to get a 2m radio to get on the air. I worked with my local ham club ( North Hills Amateur Radio Club, www.NHARC.org ) to develop and sponsor the program. Here is a link to the application which you can adapt for your local area " http://www.nharc.org/links/ScoutNetAward2.pdf ". I would love to do this on a national basis but I am having trouble finding a national sponsor. By the scouts earning this award it keeps them involved in Scouting, the community, and Amateur Radio. All three very important things we can all agree on! I will be coming to Dayton this year if anyone would like to meet to discuss this. My email is N3ZX@....
      73s
      Stephen Zelenko, N3ZX

      PS. We have seven Scouts with their Tech License and working on the award!

      On May 8, 2010, at 9:57 AM, wb2boo wrote:

      Good Morning, Tony!

      Welcome to Amateur Radio! I've been a ham for far too long, but I was introduced to it through Scouting as a kid since my first Senior Patrol Leader was ham.

      Amateur Radio and Scouting are perfect together! Here in Mercer Area District, the local hams get together and offer a Radio Merit Badge Day to 60 local Scouts each year. There's always a waiting list to attend! We've had ham Astronauts, Nobel prize winners, and others show up to help promote it.

      This is a win-win-win- win event. The Scouts get a merit badge and stay active in Scouting. The hams get to sell their hobby to Scouts. BSA gains more supporters among the 20 non-Scouter adults. And our overworked local leaders get a canned program for a weekend that they just have to drop the Scouts off at.

      Details on how hams in your district can offer a radio merit badge course on a large scale or small can be found at http://k2gw. tripod.com/ radiomeritbadge/

      I'll be at the Dayton Hamvention where we have a booth sponsored by ARRL where we try to get more hams involved in offering radio merit badge, JOTA and other Amateur Radio activites to the Scouts in their area. Perhaps I'll see you there!

      73

      Gary Wilson, K2GW
      Unti Commissioner
      Mercer Area District
      Central New Jersey Council

      Stephen Zelenko
      aspStation, Inc.
      4736 Penn Avenue
      Pittsburgh,  PA   15224
      PSTN: +1 412-661-6001 x204
      Mobile: 412-519-3323
      VoIP Gizmo: aspStation123 x204
      VoIP IAX: 700-661-6001 x204
      Call Sign: N3ZX
      Please do not print this e-mail
      unless absolutely necessary.

    • TIM TEDROW
      Message 2 of 12 , May 10, 2010
        This would make a great topic of discussion for the Scouts/Hams that will be going to Dayton to bring up the HT manufacturers. I like the requirements of the North Hills club.  It shows a great commitment by the Scout

        73s
        Tim Tedrow KD4EGM

        Message 3 of 12 , May 10, 2010
          Hi Stephen and the group,

          How about meeting at the Scout booth at the ARRL EXPO right after the Youth Forum on Saturday -- this would be about 12:30 p.m.?

          73, Frank KR1ZAN

          Message 4 of 12 , May 10, 2010
            A few comments about "scholarships".

            Having worked with youth, scouts especially, for quite a number of years, I've found that the more the person invests in their hobby and equipment, the more they appreciate it. Programs which give people something for nothing, even if that includes completing requirements which yield another acknowledgement, doesn't hold up in the long run.

            We've found that having "loaner" radios that have reasonable features help newcomers get on the air. Then, it's up to the individual to work on getting their own rig. I've seen a number of units offer using Scout Bucks earned through fund raisers (popcorn sales, etc.) toward the purchase of an HT or other rig.

            There are a few examples of youth getting very involved in amateur radio and then falling away once they move away from home or go to college staying involved in amateur radio. I'm concerned that the cost/reward radio should be investigated/estimated before we go to a scholarship program which underwrites all or most of a rig.

> [...]

            >> This is a win-win-win-win event. The Scouts get a merit badge and stay active in Scouting. The hams get to sell their hobby to Scouts. BSA gains more supporters among the 20 non-Scouter adults. And our overworked local leaders get a canned program for a weekend that they just have to drop the Scouts off at.
            >>
            >> Details on how hams in your district can offer a radio merit badge course on a large scale or small can be found at http://k2gw.tripod.com/radiomeritbadge/
            >>
            >> I'll be at the Dayton Hamvention where we have a booth sponsored by ARRL where we try to get more hams involved in offering radio merit badge, JOTA and other Amateur Radio activites to the Scouts in their area. Perhaps I'll see you there!

          • Stephen M. Zelenko
            Message 5 of 12 , May 10, 2010
              Sounds good to me!
              Stephen

              On May 10, 2010, at 11:34 AM, Frank Krizan wrote:

> [...]

              >> This is a win-win-win- win event. The Scouts get a merit badge and stay active in Scouting. The hams get to sell their hobby to Scouts. BSA gains more supporters among the 20 non-Scouter adults. And our overworked local leaders get a canned program for a weekend that they just have to drop the Scouts off at.
              >>
              >> Details on how hams in your district can offer a radio merit badge course on a large scale or small can be found at http://k2gw. tripod.com/ radiomeritbadge/
              >>
              >> I'll be at the Dayton Hamvention where we have a booth sponsored by ARRL where we try to get more hams involved in offering radio merit badge, JOTA and other Amateur Radio activites to the Scouts in their area. Perhaps I'll see you there!

            • J.Gordon Beattie, Jr., W2TTT
              Message 6 of 12 , May 11, 2010

                Frank,

                I agree with the spirit of your comments and would add a few more requirements to the existing award program to include the assembly of a small “Go-Kit” as a serious extension and normalization of the kit that they make for the E-Prep Merit Badge and the construction of a J-Pole antenna with adapter and a battery supply for extended operations of the HT.  These should be part of the “Go-Kit”.

                I would also require that the Scout deploy his equipment for at least three nets and two service events requiring Amateur Radio.

                These requirements would require more of an investment in skill and time by the Scout and get him involved both financially and functionally.

                Thanks & 73,

                Gordon Beattie, W2TTT

                201.314.6964

                __________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 5101 (20100510) __________