RE: [ScoutRadio] Re: National Jamboree Summit on the Air [3 Attachments]

  • David Gaddis
    Message 1 of 19 , May 8, 2010
      Message
      Please visit www.nsj2010ham.com for the latest information on K2BSA at the 2010 NSJ.

      73s,
      David, KE4KPC

      --
      2010 National Scout Jamboree
      K2BSA Amateur Radio Staff
      License Coordinator

      David Q. Gaddis, P.E., KE4KPC
      5600 Green Valley Drive
      Knoxville, TN  37914
      (865) 637-2173

      dgaddis@...

      -----Original Message-----
      From: ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com [mailto:ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Stephen M. Shearer
      Sent: Saturday, May 08, 2010 7:10 PM
      To: ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com
      Cc: 'J.Gordon Beattie, Jr., W2TTT'; 'Stephen M. Shearer'
      Subject: RE: [ScoutRadio] Re: National Jamboree Summit on the Air [3 Attachments]

      With “about a dozen Hams,” congratulations…

      Two Meters: 145.17 -600KHz shift - monitored 24/7 - Jamboree Net 1900 each evening
      70 cm: 442.90 +5MHz shift
      Note: (both) 100Hz PL tone…

      The above is the K2BSA repeater – in the past it was located at the K2BSA demo site.  I don’t know (for sure) for 2010.  K2BSA (not on many/any maps…)  is near the OA Show (see Google earth attachment)

      All simplex freq’s are fair game.  I had no problem finding a freq in 2005 for me to use with my two boys – to find them when I had a day off.

      You can re-charge at K2BSA – but is more then a mile from sub camp 5…

      I am sure if you talked with the sub camp “people” you may be able to set up a charging station at sub camp HQ.  (see Fred, T501 2nd ASM, as he knows many of the sub camp 5 staff – and push Fred to go to the license classes…  I think he is 2nd ASM?)

      Sub camp 5 also has a bathhouse (adults and youth?) that should also have 115VAC – someone would need to watch the chargers (a good reason for rapid charging).

      My son, KB3LUF, is in Troop 501 and I plan on sending him off with a good supply of AA batteries to use in an AA battery pack for his HT.  He WILL be running APRS from his HT so that I have “at least” one station at Jambo running APRS for the demo tent to show…  The Yeasu VX-8’s are APRS (144.390) ready and K2BSA will have a number of digi’s on site, too.

      I have thought about sending him off with (or bringing it to him) a 10 watt solar panel and gell cell to recharge his HT.  A fully charged gell cell battery could charge a number of HT’s before it (gell cell) needed to be re-charged (at bathhouse?).

      73, Steve

      From: dgaddis@comcast. net
      Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2010 13:15:01 +0000

      Hi,

      K2BSA will be operating continuously during the upcoming 2010 National Scout Jamboree. Your group in San Gabriel Mountains will be able to make contact on the standard Scout frequencies.

      Please visit www.nsj2010ham. com for all the details on the K2BSA operation at Jamboree.

      David
      --

      dgaddis@comcast. net
      k2bsa@comcast. net
      www.nsj2010ham. com

      __________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 5096 (20100507) __________

      http://www.eset. com

      __________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 5096 (20100507) __________

      http://www.eset. com

    • Mike Cornwall
      Message 2 of 19 , May 8, 2010
            Tried to leave a "good luck" guest comment about 8 times...I don't believe the security code CAN be entered in a way the web page will recognize.  Sorry.

        Mike Cornwall RPh
        KB9WQJ (Ham Radio)
        WPWG606 (GMRS)
        mccornwall@... (primary)
        Michael.Cornwall@... (work)
        RKBA!-The Right to Keep and Bear Arms is a Fundamental Human Right!
        Molon labe!

        From: dgaddis@comcast. net
        Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2010 13:15:01 +0000

        Hi,

        K2BSA will be operating continuously during the upcoming 2010 National Scout Jamboree. Your group in San Gabriel Mountains will be able to make contact on the standard Scout frequencies.

        Please visit www.nsj2010ham. com for all the details on the K2BSA operation at Jamboree.

        David
        --
        2010 National Scout Jamboree
        K2BSA Amateur Radio Staff
        License Coordinator

        David Q. Gaddis, P.E., KE4KPC
        5600 Green Valley Drive
        Knoxville , TN 37914
        (865) 637-2173

        dgaddis@comcast. net
        k2bsa@comcast. net
        www.nsj2010ham. com

        --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogro ups.com, "Gregory" <more_toys@. ..> wrote:

        > Attn South Western US Hams. I had an idea, but need some help making it happen.
        >
        > During the 2010 National BSA Jamboree, Jul 26-Aug4, wouldn't it be cool if we could have Jamboree participants in Virginia talk to Hams operating from the peak (or on-the-mountain) of Mt. Baden-Powell in the San Gabriel Mountains ?
        >
        > Prefereably the hams on Mt. BP would be scouts. This could be a 2-3 day, or all week, operating event and we could send special QSL cards from there - with special event call sign W6BP or similar.
        >
        > Does anyone have experience doing something like this before? Give me a call/email - or answer back to this group - if you think we can make it happen.
        >
        > Greg Chapelle
        > Scoutmaster, Troop 667, San Diego , California
        > http://www.troop667 .info
        > more_toys@.. .
        > WA6YLR
        > 858.484.2580 (home)

        __________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 5096 (20100507) __________

        http://www.eset. com

        __________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 5096 (20100507) __________

        http://www.eset. com

      • J.Gordon Beattie, Jr., W2TTT
        Message 3 of 19 , May 8, 2010

          Mike,

          I was able to leave a guestbook note a couple of minutes ago and saw the guest counter increment when I did.

          Yours in Scouting!
          Thanks & 73,

          Gordon Beattie, W2TTT

          201.314.6964

          __________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 5097 (20100509) __________

          http://www.eset.com

          __________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 5097 (20100509) __________

          http://www.eset.com

        • Stephen M. Shearer
          Message 4 of 19 , May 10, 2010

            Please note…  The pdf file “K2BSA and you…” has the old (pre 2007) JOTA freq’s – as the document is from the 2005 Jamboree.  Below are what is currently on the ARRL page: http://www.arrl.org/jamboree-on-the-air-jota

            ·         World Scout Frequencies-

            Band

            SSB (phone)

            CW (morse)

            80 m

            3.690 & 3.940 MHz

            3.570 MHz

            40 m

            7.090 & 7.190 MHz

            7.030 MHz

            20 m

            14.290 MHz

            14.060 MHz

            17 m

            18.140 MHz

            18.080 MHz

            15 m

            21.360 MHz

            21.140 MHz

            12 m

            24.960 MHz

            24.910 MHz

            10 m

            28.390 MHz

            28.180 MHz

            6 m

            50.160 MHz

            50.160 MHz

            ·         Please note that the World Scout Frequencies changed 1 July 2007. The International Amateur Radio Union (IARU) changed its band plans to create space for more digital transmissions. Some Scout frequencies are affected by this.  Traditionally, Scout Frequencies were chosen in a segment where low-power, simple stations are transmitting (QRP). This allows Scouts to operate such stations from camp sites and still be able to communicate with others. Some of these frequencies have changed over time. The amateur radio bands are increasingly busy with competitions. With the Scout frequencies chosen outside of the contest segments as far as possible, Scout stations can operate undisturbed.

            From: dgaddis@comcast. net
            Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2010 13:15:01 +0000

            Hi,

            K2BSA will be operating continuously during the upcoming 2010 National Scout Jamboree. Your group in San Gabriel Mountains will be able to make contact on the standard Scout frequencies.

            Please visit www.nsj2010ham. com for all the details on the K2BSA operation at Jamboree.

            David
            --
            2010 National Scout Jamboree
            K2BSA Amateur Radio Staff
            License Coordinator

            David Q. Gaddis, P.E., KE4KPC
            5600 Green Valley Drive
            Knoxville , TN 37914
            (865) 637-2173

            dgaddis@comcast. net
            k2bsa@comcast. net
            www.nsj2010ham. com

            --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogro ups.com, "Gregory" <more_toys@. ..> wrote:

            > Attn South Western US Hams. I had an idea, but need
            some help making it happen.

            > During the 2010 National BSA Jamboree, Jul 26-Aug4, wouldn't it be cool if
            we could have Jamboree participants in Virginia talk to Hams operating from the peak (or on-the-mountain) of Mt. Baden-Powell in the San Gabriel Mountains ?

            > Prefereably the hams on Mt. BP
            would be scouts. This could be a 2-3 day, or all week, operating event and we could send special QSL cards from there - with special event call sign W6BP or similar.

            > Does anyone have experience doing something like this before? Give me a
            call/email - or answer back to this group - if you think we can make it happen.

            > Greg Chapelle
            > Scoutmaster, Troop 667, San Diego , California
            > http://www.troop667 .info
            > more_toys@.. .
            > WA6YLR
            > 858.484.2580 (home)

            __________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 5096 (20100507) __________

            http://www.eset. com

            __________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 5096 (20100507) __________

            http://www.eset. com

            __________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 5096 (20100507) __________

            http://www.eset. com

            __________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 5097 (20100509) __________

            http://www.eset. com

          • Robert Bruninga
            Message 5 of 19 , May 10, 2010
              > Do you have any frequencies for use at the Jamboree by
              participants?
              > Also, what is/are the on-site repeater frequency or
              > frequencies at the Jamboree and where is it going to be
              > located within A. P. Hill?

              The bigger question will be Echolink or IRLP?
              It would sure be amazing if someone could put an Echolink node
              on the air within HT range of the site.

              Bob, Wb4APR
            • Robert Bruninga
              Message 6 of 19 , Jun 4, 2010
                > During the 2010 National BSA Jamboree, Jul 26-Aug4,
                > wouldn't it be cool if we could have Jamboree
                > participants in Virginia talk to Hams operating
                > from the peak (or on-the-mountain) of
                > Mt. Baden-Powell in the San Gabriel Mountains?

                The 26th (Sunday) is the annual Golden Packet event where hams
                attempt long distance APRS text messaging along the long
                national trails. In 2009 was our first attempt at the 2000 mile
                Appalachain trail where we hoped to make it work over 14 hops.

                This year we hope western hams will activate the Pacific Crest
                trail, or the Continental Divide trail or others...

                Please check www.aprs.org/at-golden-packet.html

                Bob, WB4APR