RE: [ScoutRadio] Re: National Jamboree Summit on the Air

  • THOMAS BINGHAM
    Message 1 of 19 , May 8, 2010
      Can you send me a list of the standard scout frequencies?

      Thomas M. Bingham

      To: ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com
      From: dgaddis@...
      Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2010 13:15:01 +0000
      Subject: [ScoutRadio] Re: National Jamboree Summit on the Air

      Hi,

      K2BSA will be operating continuously during the upcoming 2010 National Scout Jamboree. Your group in San Gabriel Mountains will be able to make contact on the standard Scout frequencies.

      Please visit www.nsj2010ham. com for all the details on the K2BSA operation at Jamboree.

      David
      --
      2010 National Scout Jamboree
      K2BSA Amateur Radio Staff

      David Q. Gaddis, P.E., KE4KPC
      5600 Green Valley Drive
      Knoxville, TN 37914
      (865) 637-2173

      dgaddis@comcast. net
      k2bsa@comcast. net
      www.nsj2010ham. com

      --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogro ups.com, "Gregory" <more_toys@. ..> wrote:

      > Attn South Western US Hams. I had an idea, but need some help making it happen.
      >
      > During the 2010 National BSA Jamboree, Jul 26-Aug4, wouldn't it be cool if we could have Jamboree participants in Virginia talk to Hams operating from the peak (or on-the-mountain) of Mt. Baden-Powell in the San Gabriel Mountains?
      >
      > Prefereably the hams on Mt. BP would be scouts. This could be a 2-3 day, or all week, operating event and we could send special QSL cards from there - with special event call sign W6BP or similar.
      >
      > Does anyone have experience doing something like this before? Give me a call/email - or answer back to this group - if you think we can make it happen.
      >
      > Greg Chapelle
      > Scoutmaster, Troop 667, San Diego, California
      > http://www.troop667 .info
      > more_toys@.. .
      > WA6YLR
      > 858.484.2580 (home)

    • Stephen M. Shearer
      Message 2 of 19 , May 8, 2010
        • 80 Meters: Phone: 3.940 MHz CW:3.590 MHz
        • 40 Meters: Phone: 7.270 MHz CW:7.030 MHz
        • 20 Meters: Phone: 14.290 MHz CW: 14.070 MHz
        • 15 Meters: Phone: 21.360 MHz CW: 21.140 MHz
        • 10 Meters: Phone: 28.360 & 28.990 MHz CW: 28.190 MHz

        See: http://www.bpmlegal.com/k2bsafrq.html  and
        http://www.bpmlegal.com/k2bsa.html

        K2BSA will also be active with APRS, see: http://aprs.org/  and
        http://aprs.org/aprs-jamboree-2010.html

        73, Steve WB3LGC

        To: ScoutRadio@yahoogro ups.com
        From: dgaddis@comcast. net
        Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2010 13:15:01 +0000

        Hi,

        K2BSA will be operating continuously during the upcoming 2010 National Scout Jamboree. Your group in San Gabriel Mountains will be able to make contact on the standard Scout frequencies.

        Please visit www.nsj2010ham. com for all the details on the K2BSA operation at Jamboree.

        David
        --
        2010 National Scout Jamboree
        K2BSA Amateur Radio Staff
        License Coordinator

        David Q. Gaddis, P.E., KE4KPC
        5600 Green Valley Drive
        Knoxville, TN 37914
        (865) 637-2173

        dgaddis@comcast. net
        k2bsa@comcast. net
        www.nsj2010ham. com

        --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogro ups.com, "Gregory" <more_toys@. ..> wrote:

        > Attn South Western US Hams. I had an idea, but need some help making it
        happen.

        > During the 2010 National BSA Jamboree, Jul 26-Aug4, wouldn't it be cool if
        we could have Jamboree participants in Virginia talk to Hams operating from the peak (or on-the-mountain) of Mt. Baden-Powell in the San Gabriel Mountains?

        > Prefereably the hams on Mt. BP would be scouts. This could be a 2-3 day,
        or all week, operating event and we could send special QSL cards from there - with special event call sign W6BP or similar.

        > Does anyone have experience doing something like this before? Give me a
        call/email - or answer back to this group - if you think we can make it happen.

        > Greg Chapelle
        > Scoutmaster, Troop 667, San Diego, California
        > http://www.troop667 .info
        > more_toys@.. .
        > WA6YLR
        > 858.484.2580 (home)

      • J.Gordon Beattie, Jr., W2TTT
        Message 3 of 19 , May 8, 2010

          Stephen,

          Do you have any frequencies for use at the Jamboree by participants?

          VHF/UHF FM and perhaps HF SBB for HFPack might be of interest.

          I’ll be a 1st ASM in Troop 505 and will have gear for HF through UHF all modes and we have about a dozen Hams in our Jamboree Troop which is also posing an interesting challenge for charging HTs.

          Also, what is/are the on-site repeater frequency or frequencies at the Jamboree and where is it going to be located within A. P. Hill?

          Yours in Scouting!

          Thanks & 73,

          Gordon Beattie, W2TTT

          201.314.6964

          To: ScoutRadio@yahoogro ups.com
          From: dgaddis@comcast. net
          Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2010 13:15:01 +0000

          __________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 5096 (20100507) __________

          http://www.eset.com

          Message 4 of 19 , May 8, 2010

          With “about a dozen Hams,” congratulations…

          Two Meters: 145.17 -600KHz shift - monitored 24/7 - Jamboree Net 1900 each evening
          70 cm: 442.90 +5MHz shift
          Note: (both) 100Hz PL tone…

          The above is the K2BSA repeater – in the past it was located at the K2BSA demo site.  I don’t know (for sure) for 2010.  K2BSA (not on many/any maps…)  is near the OA Show (see Google earth attachment)

          All simplex freq’s are fair game.  I had no problem finding a freq in 2005 for me to use with my two boys – to find them when I had a day off.

          You can re-charge at K2BSA – but is more then a mile from sub camp 5…

          I am sure if you talked with the sub camp “people” you may be able to set up a charging station at sub camp HQ.  (see Fred, T501 2nd ASM, as he knows many of the sub camp 5 staff – and push Fred to go to the license classes…  I think he is 2nd ASM?)

          Sub camp 5 also has a bathhouse (adults and youth?) that should also have 115VAC – someone would need to watch the chargers (a good reason for rapid charging).

          My son, KB3LUF, is in Troop 501 and I plan on sending him off with a good supply of AA batteries to use in an AA battery pack for his HT.  He WILL be running APRS from his HT so that I have “at least” one station at Jambo running APRS for the demo tent to show…  The Yeasu VX-8’s are APRS (144.390) ready and K2BSA will have a number of digi’s on site, too.

          I have thought about sending him off with (or bringing it to him) a 10 watt solar panel and gell cell to recharge his HT.  A fully charged gell cell battery could charge a number of HT’s before it (gell cell) needed to be re-charged (at bathhouse?).

          73, Steve

          To: ScoutRadio@yahoogro ups.com
          From: dgaddis@comcast. net
          Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2010 13:15:01 +0000

          Hi,

          K2BSA will be operating continuously during the upcoming 2010 National Scout Jamboree. Your group in San Gabriel Mountains will be able to make contact on the standard Scout frequencies.

          Please visit www.nsj2010ham. com for all the details on the K2BSA operation at Jamboree.

          David
          --
          2010 National Scout Jamboree
          K2BSA Amateur Radio Staff
          License Coordinator

          David Q. Gaddis, P.E., KE4KPC
          5600 Green Valley Drive
          Knoxville , TN 37914
          (865) 637-2173

          dgaddis@comcast. net
          k2bsa@comcast. net
          www.nsj2010ham. com

          --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogro ups.com, "Gregory" <more_toys@. ..> wrote:

          > Attn South Western US Hams. I had an idea, but need some help
          making it happen.

          > During the 2010 National BSA Jamboree, Jul 26-Aug4, wouldn't it be cool if
          we could have Jamboree participants in Virginia talk to Hams operating from the peak (or on-the-mountain) of Mt. Baden-Powell in the San Gabriel Mountains ?

          > Prefereably the hams on Mt. BP would be
          scouts. This could be a 2-3 day, or all week, operating event and we could send special QSL cards from there - with special event call sign W6BP or similar.

          > Does anyone have experience doing something like this before? Give me a
          call/email - or answer back to this group - if you think we can make it happen.

          > Greg Chapelle
          > Scoutmaster, Troop 667, San Diego , California
          > http://www.troop667 .info
          > more_toys@.. .
          > WA6YLR
          > 858.484.2580 (home)

          __________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 5096 (20100507) __________

          http://www.eset. com

          __________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 5096 (20100507) __________

          http://www.eset. com

        • David Gaddis
          Message 5 of 19 , May 8, 2010
            Message
            Please visit www.nsj2010ham.com for the latest information on K2BSA at the 2010 NSJ.

            73s,
            David, KE4KPC

            To: ScoutRadio@yahoogro ups.com
            From: dgaddis@comcast. net
            Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2010 13:15:01 +0000

            Message 6 of 19 , May 8, 2010

              Stephen,

              Well that is awesome!  We’ll be nearby your son’s Troop and I will rattle your buddy about getting his license.  I upgraded on a lark to Extra at the 2001 Jamboree when my son and his buddy wanted me to join them when they went to take the exam.  Thanks for the info. I found a REALLY NICE kit for SM/ASMs to consider that provides 3A at 12V in full sunlight for $200 from Harbor Freight.  I bought two and they seem to be pretty cool.  If a Scout wanted to bring such a thing, it would have to be approved by his Scoutmaster, as the footprint is about 4 x 4 ft and needs to be put in a non-hazard area.  We’re going to place it in the gateway area which has an opening to sunlight, but protected space.  The solar charging kit has two 5W 12V CFLs, a charge controller that has outputs for 12, 9, 6 and 3V as well as a 5V USB port!

              I’ll have batteries and also a complete ham station in a box.  Antennas are going to be lower than 10ft because of the new safety rules (my sons were in 537 in 2005 and it was not a pretty sight).

              Please pass along my contact info to your son and let him know that T505 has lots of hams!

              Yours in Scouting!

              Thanks & 73,

              Gordon Beattie, W2TTT

              201.314.6964

              Can you send me a list of the standard scout frequencies?

              Thomas M. Bingham

              size=2 width="100%" align=center id=stopSpelling>

              To: ScoutRadio@yahoogro ups.com
              From: dgaddis@comcast. net
              Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2010 13:15:01 +0000

              Hi,

              K2BSA will be operating continuously during the upcoming 2010 National Scout Jamboree. Your group in San Gabriel Mountains will be able to make contact on the standard Scout frequencies.

              Please visit www.nsj2010ham. com for all the details on the K2BSA operation at Jamboree.

              David
              --
              2010 National Scout Jamboree
              K2BSA Amateur Radio Staff
              License Coordinator

              David Q. Gaddis, P.E., KE4KPC
              5600 Green Valley Drive
              Knoxville , TN 37914
              (865) 637-2173

              dgaddis@comcast. net
              k2bsa@comcast. net
              www.nsj2010ham. com

              --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogro ups.com, "Gregory" <more_toys@. ..> wrote:

              > Attn South Western US Hams. I
              had an idea, but need some help making it happen.

              > During the 2010 National BSA Jamboree, Jul 26-Aug4, wouldn't it be cool if
              we could have Jamboree participants in Virginia talk to Hams operating from the peak (or on-the-mountain) of Mt. Baden-Powell in the San Gabriel Mountains ?

              > Prefereably the hams on
              w:st="on">Mt. BP would be scouts. This could be a 2-3 day, or all week, operating event and we could send special QSL cards from there - with special event call sign W6BP or similar.

              > Does anyone have experience doing something like this before? Give me a
              call/email - or answer back to this group - if you think we can make it happen.

              > Greg Chapelle
              > Scoutmaster, Troop 667, San
              Diego , California
              > http://www.troop667 .info
              > more_toys@.. .
              > WA6YLR
              > 858.484.2580 (home)

              __________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 5096 (20100507) __________

              http://www.eset. com

              __________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 5096 (20100507) __________

              http://www.eset. com

              __________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 5096 (20100507) __________

              http://www.eset.com

              __________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 5097 (20100509) __________

              http://www.eset.com

            • Mike Cornwall
              Message 7 of 19 , May 8, 2010
                    Tried to leave a "good luck" guest comment about 8 times...I don't believe the security code CAN be entered in a way the web page will recognize.  Sorry.

                Mike Cornwall RPh
                KB9WQJ (Ham Radio)
                WPWG606 (GMRS)
                mccornwall@... (primary)
                Michael.Cornwall@... (work)
                RKBA!-The Right to Keep and Bear Arms is a Fundamental Human Right!
                Molon labe!

                From: dgaddis@comcast. net
                Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2010 13:15:01 +0000

                Message 8 of 19 , May 8, 2010

                  Mike,

                  I was able to leave a guestbook note a couple of minutes ago and saw the guest counter increment when I did.

                  Yours in Scouting!
                  Thanks & 73,

                  Gordon Beattie, W2TTT

                  201.314.6964

                  Message 9 of 19 , May 10, 2010

                    Please note…  The pdf file “K2BSA and you…” has the old (pre 2007) JOTA freq’s – as the document is from the 2005 Jamboree.  Below are what is currently on the ARRL page: http://www.arrl.org/jamboree-on-the-air-jota

                    ·         World Scout Frequencies-

                    Band

                    SSB (phone)

                    CW (morse)

                    80 m

                    3.690 & 3.940 MHz

                    3.570 MHz

                    40 m

                    7.090 & 7.190 MHz

                    7.030 MHz

                    20 m

                    14.290 MHz

                    14.060 MHz

                    17 m

                    18.140 MHz

                    18.080 MHz

                    15 m

                    21.360 MHz

                    21.140 MHz

                    12 m

                    24.960 MHz

                    24.910 MHz

                    10 m

                    28.390 MHz

                    28.180 MHz

                    6 m

                    50.160 MHz

                    50.160 MHz

                    ·         Please note that the World Scout Frequencies changed 1 July 2007. The International Amateur Radio Union (IARU) changed its band plans to create space for more digital transmissions. Some Scout frequencies are affected by this.  Traditionally, Scout Frequencies were chosen in a segment where low-power, simple stations are transmitting (QRP). This allows Scouts to operate such stations from camp sites and still be able to communicate with others. Some of these frequencies have changed over time. The amateur radio bands are increasingly busy with competitions. With the Scout frequencies chosen outside of the contest segments as far as possible, Scout stations can operate undisturbed.

                    From: dgaddis@comcast. net
                    Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2010 13:15:01 +0000

                    Hi,

                    K2BSA will be operating continuously during the upcoming 2010 National Scout Jamboree. Your group in San Gabriel Mountains will be able to make contact on the standard Scout frequencies.

                    Please visit www.nsj2010ham. com for all the details on the K2BSA operation at Jamboree.

                    David
                    --
                    2010 National Scout Jamboree
                    K2BSA Amateur Radio Staff
                    License Coordinator

                    David Q. Gaddis, P.E., KE4KPC
                    5600 Green Valley Drive
                    Knoxville , TN 37914
                    (865) 637-2173

                    dgaddis@comcast. net
                    k2bsa@comcast. net
                    www.nsj2010ham. com

                    --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogro ups.com, "Gregory" <more_toys@. ..> wrote:

                    > Attn South Western US Hams. I had an idea, but need
                    some help making it happen.

                    > During the 2010 National BSA Jamboree, Jul 26-Aug4, wouldn't it be cool if
                    we could have Jamboree participants in Virginia talk to Hams operating from the peak (or on-the-mountain) of Mt. Baden-Powell in the San Gabriel Mountains ?

                    > Prefereably the hams on Mt. BP
                    would be scouts. This could be a 2-3 day, or all week, operating event and we could send special QSL cards from there - with special event call sign W6BP or similar.

                    > Does anyone have experience doing something like this before? Give me a
                    call/email - or answer back to this group - if you think we can make it happen.

                    > Greg Chapelle
                    > Scoutmaster, Troop 667, San Diego , California
                    > http://www.troop667 .info
                    > more_toys@.. .
                    > WA6YLR
                    > 858.484.2580 (home)

                    __________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 5096 (20100507) __________

                    http://www.eset. com

                    __________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 5096 (20100507) __________

                    http://www.eset. com

                    __________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 5096 (20100507) __________

                    http://www.eset. com

                    __________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 5097 (20100509) __________

                    http://www.eset. com

                  • Robert Bruninga
                    Message 10 of 19 , May 10, 2010
                      > Do you have any frequencies for use at the Jamboree by
                      participants?
                      > Also, what is/are the on-site repeater frequency or
                      > frequencies at the Jamboree and where is it going to be
                      > located within A. P. Hill?

                      The bigger question will be Echolink or IRLP?
                      It would sure be amazing if someone could put an Echolink node
                      on the air within HT range of the site.

                      Bob, Wb4APR
                    • Robert Bruninga
                      Message 11 of 19 , Jun 4, 2010
                        > During the 2010 National BSA Jamboree, Jul 26-Aug4,
                        > wouldn't it be cool if we could have Jamboree
                        > participants in Virginia talk to Hams operating
                        > from the peak (or on-the-mountain) of
                        > Mt. Baden-Powell in the San Gabriel Mountains?

                        The 26th (Sunday) is the annual Golden Packet event where hams
                        attempt long distance APRS text messaging along the long
                        national trails. In 2009 was our first attempt at the 2000 mile
                        Appalachain trail where we hoped to make it work over 14 hops.

                        This year we hope western hams will activate the Pacific Crest
                        trail, or the Continental Divide trail or others...

                        Please check www.aprs.org/at-golden-packet.html

                        Bob, WB4APR