Scout Camps on the Air

  • ray@sirois.com
    Message 1 of 40 , Apr 5, 2001
      We're building up the interest...

      At Camp Hinds in Raymond ME
      we don't do the merit badge but we
      one of us goes and has an HF station
      set up and give an introduction one
      night per week... and try to get
      the scouts some air time.

      This plant the seeds for the
      merit badge / tech license classes
      we do in the Spring and Fall targeted for
      Scouts and Dads (but open to all).

      Last year it was Monday nights,
      but this year it'll be Tues or Wed.
      We'll let you know as summer
      approaches so we can get
      some scheds going!

      73-Ray, N1RY
      WJ0TA (/1) Maine Scouts ARC
    • wb2boo
      Message 40 of 40 , May 13, 2011
        Mike:

        To build on Dale's comments, as a result of the new MOU between ARRL and BSA, BSA recently formed a National Radio Scouting Committee which is working to help organize things a bit more. Jim Wilson, is the head of it and has done a great job with our first goal of improving information and resources regarding JOTA. See the new BSA JOTA pages at http://www.scouting.org/JOTA.aspx for the results of our first project.

        Future committee projects will likely evolve to better support K2BSA, reaching out to hams at events beyond the Dayton Hamvention, coordination of Amateur Radio activity at National and World Jamborees, and other items of mututal interest between the ham radio and Scouting communitees.

        In the meantime, if you want to work on cleaning up or adding the references to diffrent Scout topics currently found on the AC6V webiste, they can be contacted at http://ac6v.com/EMAIL.htm That would be a big help.

        Also, regarding setting up ham stations at Scout Camps, I do offer a few hints on my Radio Merit Badge website: http://k2gw.tripod.com/radiomeritbadge/

        particulalrly on this page:

        http://k2gw.tripod.com/radiomeritbadgeday/id22.html

        Best of luck with your efforts to increase Amateur Radio opportunities for Scouts! Hopefully we'll be able to meet at Dayton with the rest of the great Hamvention Scout Radio booth folks.

        73

        Gary Wilson, K2GW
        BSA Natioanl Radio Scouting Committee Member
        ARRL SNJ Assistant Section Manager