Re: New to the Group and Hobby

  • Robert
    Message 1 of 12 , May 8 4:28 AM
      Congratulations! Anything I can do to help you, please let me know. If you run across K4ZTT, (I think he is in Portland, now) give him a hi from De Kalb Co. Ala. RB AA4ZT

      --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, "io30031" <abnaki@...> wrote:

      > Morning everyone. I am a new amateur radio operator who have been a listener for over 25 years. Recently I one of the volunteers I have worked with over the years encouraged me to take my exam and I am happy to say that I passed my tech exam and I am working on sitting for my general within the next month or so.
      >
      > I work as a Senior District Executive in the Pine Tree Council in Portland, Maine and I look forward to taking part in this group as a way to improve my skills and knowledge. I am also excited about the ideas I will get to better assist me with program development.
      >
      > Tony Bessey
      > Abnaki Sr. District Executive
      > abessey@...
      > KB1UDB until next week N1AJB

    • wb2boo
      Message 2 of 12 , May 8 6:57 AM
        Good Morning, Tony!

        Welcome to Amateur Radio! I've been a ham for far too long, but I was introduced to it through Scouting as a kid since my first Senior Patrol Leader was ham.

        Amateur Radio and Scouting are perfect together! Here in Mercer Area District, the local hams get together and offer a Radio Merit Badge Day to 60 local Scouts each year. There's always a waiting list to attend! We've had ham Astronauts, Nobel prize winners, and others show up to help promote it.

        This is a win-win-win-win event. The Scouts get a merit badge and stay active in Scouting. The hams get to sell their hobby to Scouts. BSA gains more supporters among the 20 non-Scouter adults. And our overworked local leaders get a canned program for a weekend that they just have to drop the Scouts off at.

        Details on how hams in your district can offer a radio merit badge course on a large scale or small can be found at http://k2gw.tripod.com/radiomeritbadge/

        I'll be at the Dayton Hamvention where we have a booth sponsored by ARRL where we try to get more hams involved in offering radio merit badge, JOTA and other Amateur Radio activites to the Scouts in their area. Perhaps I'll see you there!

        73

        Gary Wilson, K2GW
        Unti Commissioner
        Mercer Area District
        Central New Jersey Council
      • kd4gcf
        Message 3 of 12 , May 8 5:20 PM
          Welcome !!

          Aside from Scouting this is the most fun I have. (Not married folks). I hope you can get you council on the air for JOTA 2010, only 53rd year.

          Hope I can find many of you via the Air Waves for Rayado at Philmont this summer.

          Lee
          CD Kit Carson 2010

          --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, "io30031" <abnaki@...> wrote:

          > Morning everyone. I am a new amateur radio operator who have been a listener for over 25 years. Recently I one of the volunteers I have worked with over the years encouraged me to take my exam and I am happy to say that I passed my tech exam and I am working on sitting for my general within the next month or so.
          >
          > I work as a Senior District Executive in the Pine Tree Council in Portland, Maine and I look forward to taking part in this group as a way to improve my skills and knowledge. I am also excited about the ideas I will get to better assist me with program development.
          >
          > Tony Bessey
          > Abnaki Sr. District Executive
          > abessey@...
          > KB1UDB until next week N1AJB

        • Stephen M. Zelenko
          Message 4 of 12 , May 10 5:26 AM
            Hello All,
            Why not take it to the next step! Get the scouts that earn the radio merit badge on the air! If the badge is taught right way the scouts have the majority of information they need to pass their Technician class ticket. I have also developed a way for my local Scouts to get a 2m radio to get on the air. I worked with my local ham club ( North Hills Amateur Radio Club, www.NHARC.org ) to develop and sponsor the program. Here is a link to the application which you can adapt for your local area " http://www.nharc.org/links/ScoutNetAward2.pdf ". I would love to do this on a national basis but I am having trouble finding a national sponsor. By the scouts earning this award it keeps them involved in Scouting, the community, and Amateur Radio. All three very important things we can all agree on! I will be coming to Dayton this year if anyone would like to meet to discuss this. My email is N3ZX@....
            73s
            Stephen Zelenko, N3ZX

            PS. We have seven Scouts with their Tech License and working on the award!

            On May 8, 2010, at 9:57 AM, wb2boo wrote:

[...]

            Stephen Zelenko
            aspStation, Inc.
            4736 Penn Avenue
            Pittsburgh,  PA   15224
            PSTN: +1 412-661-6001 x204
            Mobile: 412-519-3323
            VoIP Gizmo: aspStation123 x204
            VoIP IAX: 700-661-6001 x204
            Call Sign: N3ZX
            Please do not print this e-mail
            unless absolutely necessary.

          • Bill Stewart, w2bsa
            Message 5 of 12 , May 10 6:16 AM
              Folks,
              Note also that two of the three required merit badges are Eagle Required merit badges. They are Emergency Preparedness and Communications. So this program has the added benefit of getting the Boy Scout or Venturing male youth, of 1st class rank or higher, to earn merit badges toward Eagle.
              This would be a great program for Boy Scout or Venturing Boys on a National Level.

              YiS and WWW,

              Bill Stewart, W2BSA

              On 5/10/2010 08:26, Stephen M. Zelenko wrote:
[...]

            • TIM TEDROW
              Message 6 of 12 , May 10 7:35 AM
                This would make a great topic of discussion for the Scouts/Hams that will be going to Dayton to bring up the HT manufacturers. I like the requirements of the North Hills club.  It shows a great commitment by the Scout

                73s
                Tim Tedrow KD4EGM

                Message 7 of 12 , May 10 8:34 AM
                  Hi Stephen and the group,

                  How about meeting at the Scout booth at the ARRL EXPO right after the Youth Forum on Saturday -- this would be about 12:30 p.m.?

                  73, Frank KR1ZAN

                  Message 8 of 12 , May 10 8:45 AM
                    A few comments about "scholarships".

                    Having worked with youth, scouts especially, for quite a number of years, I've found that the more the person invests in their hobby and equipment, the more they appreciate it. Programs which give people something for nothing, even if that includes completing requirements which yield another acknowledgement, doesn't hold up in the long run.

                    We've found that having "loaner" radios that have reasonable features help newcomers get on the air. Then, it's up to the individual to work on getting their own rig. I've seen a number of units offer using Scout Bucks earned through fund raisers (popcorn sales, etc.) toward the purchase of an HT or other rig.

                    There are a few examples of youth getting very involved in amateur radio and then falling away once they move away from home or go to college staying involved in amateur radio. I'm concerned that the cost/reward radio should be investigated/estimated before we go to a scholarship program which underwrites all or most of a rig.

                    Message 9 of 12 , May 10 7:00 PM
                      Sounds good to me!
                      Stephen

                      On May 10, 2010, at 11:34 AM, Frank Krizan wrote:

> [...]

                      >> This is a win-win-win- win event. The Scouts get a merit badge and stay active in Scouting. The hams get to sell their hobby to Scouts. BSA gains more supporters among the 20 non-Scouter adults. And our overworked local leaders get a canned program for a weekend that they just have to drop the Scouts off at.
                      >>
                      >> Details on how hams in your district can offer a radio merit badge course on a large scale or small can be found at http://k2gw. tripod.com/ radiomeritbadge/
                      >>
                      >> I'll be at the Dayton Hamvention where we have a booth sponsored by ARRL where we try to get more hams involved in offering radio merit badge, JOTA and other Amateur Radio activites to the Scouts in their area. Perhaps I'll see you there!

                    • J.Gordon Beattie, Jr., W2TTT
                      Message 10 of 12 , May 11 4:56 AM

                        Frank,

                        I agree with the spirit of your comments and would add a few more requirements to the existing award program to include the assembly of a small “Go-Kit” as a serious extension and normalization of the kit that they make for the E-Prep Merit Badge and the construction of a J-Pole antenna with adapter and a battery supply for extended operations of the HT.  These should be part of the “Go-Kit”.

                        I would also require that the Scout deploy his equipment for at least three nets and two service events requiring Amateur Radio.

                        These requirements would require more of an investment in skill and time by the Scout and get him involved both financially and functionally.

                        Thanks & 73,

                        Gordon Beattie, W2TTT

                        201.314.6964

                        __________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 5101 (20100510) __________