Re: [ScoutRadio] Two way radio project.

  • Ray Brown
    Message 1 of 9 , May 4, 2010
        Hi, Tom... I'm not sure you're going to be able to find one nowadays for 2m FM. I've found several kits
      for "QRP", or 5-watt transmitters and recievers in kit form, but not for 2m.

        Several years ago, I built a Ten-Tec 1209 transverter. This converted 6m to 2m and back again.You set
      your radio to 146.52 FM and it came out 52.52 FM, and if you set 144.125, you got 50.125. What I'm saying
      is that this transverter kit still took around 12 hours to build, and then I did one thing wrong and I had to send
      it to Ten-Tec and they corrected the problem at no charge. (wave of hat to them)

        But the radios are synthesized and require surface-mount construction, and I'm just afraid that it's beyond
      the reach of most folks to properly assemble a 2m kit. I hope I'm wrong, but I just don't see any 2m kits
      out there, altho maybe a single-frequency crystal-controlled model?

        I would think seriously about the QRP kits. I know they're CW only (maybe some have phone, don't know),
      but if you could prearrange with someone to be on frequency, even with a random-length antenna and a good
      water pipe connection, you should be able to reach a few miles easy...

                      Ray Brown, KB0STN
                      BSRTC, Nih-Ka-Ga-Hah District
                      Ozark Trails Council
                      kb0stn@...

      I am getting ready to do a Merit Badge session and would like to build and operate a 2meter radio. Anyone know how to accomplish this and where to get the parts?
    • nm0s_qrp
      Message 2 of 9 , May 5, 2010
        There is the MJF 2M SSB kit
        http://www.mfjenterprises.com/Product.php?productid=MFJ-9402