Two way radio project.

  • THOMAS BINGHAM
    Message 1 of 9 , May 4 7:16 PM
      I am getting ready to do a Merit Badge session and would like to build and operate a 2meter radio. Anyone know how to accomplish this and where to get the parts?

      Thomas M. Bingham
      KC9KOA

    • Frank Krizan
      Message 2 of 9 , May 4 7:54 PM
        Hi Stephen,

        There is no RadioScouting Forum; however, the ARRL will have an area set aside, as they did last year, in the ARRL EXPO. Because of the limited size, it's difficult to have a gathering there. I've not heard of any other planned gathering at Dayton.

        This Discussion Group (ScoutRadio at Yahoo) is the best place to ask questions and bring up issues and topics.

        I try to stop by the ARRL Scout area several times and often run into other Scouters that I've met on the air or on the web.

        73, Frank KR1ZAN
        Garland, TX

        On May 4, 2010, at 8:12 PM, Stephen M. Zelenko wrote:

        > Hello All,
        > I may have missed any posts about any Scout meeting at Dayton this year. Are there any?
        > Stephen, N3ZX
        >

        > <image001.jpg>
        >

        > Stephen Zelenko
        > aspStation, Inc.
        > 4736 Penn Avenue
        > Pittsburgh, PA 15224
        > PSTN: +1 412-661-6001 x204
        > Mobile: 412-519-3323
        > VoIP Gizmo: aspStation123 x204
        > VoIP IAX: 700-661-6001 x204
        > Call Sign: N3ZX
        > Please do not print this e-mail
        > unless absolutely necessary.

      • Stephen M. Zelenko
        Message 3 of 9 , May 4 8:07 PM
          Thanks, hope to meet you their.
          Stephen

          Message 4 of 9 , May 4 8:17 PM
            Hi Thomas,

            "2meter radio" needs a little more definition; however, if it's a receiver, you might consider the Ramsey Kit, see
            http://www.ramseyelectronics.com/cgi-bin/commerce.exe?preadd=action&key=FR-SERIES

            It's $50 and from my experience you can probably gather up all the parts and build it yourself for twice the price.

            A number of the 2 meter transceiver kits that used to be around are no longer sold.

            I would suggest doing a bunch of web searches or looking around the kits area of www.ac6v.com for some useful leads.

            If it's CW that you have in mind, you may find some simple circuits used by DFers (Radio Direction Finding/Fox Hunting). Also, in the QST archives or older ARRL Handbooks, you should be able to find some vacuum tube receivers and transmitters (AM/CW). Don't know what you have in mind for use of this radio in the "Merit Badge session" (Is this Radio MB?).

            73, Frank KR1ZAN
            Garland, TX

            On May 4, 2010, at 9:16 PM, THOMAS BINGHAM wrote:

            > I am getting ready to do a Merit Badge session and would like to build and operate a 2meter radio. Anyone know how to accomplish this and where to get the parts?
            >
            > Thomas M. Bingham
            > KC9KOA
            >

            > The New Busy is not the too busy. Combine all your e-mail accounts with Hotmail. Get busy.

          • CURTIS JENNINGS
            Message 5 of 9 , May 4 8:20 PM
              I'll be there too. Name is Curtis Jennings-KI4FUS-Chattahoochee Council

              Message 6 of 9 , May 4 8:24 PM
                Frank. Yes it is for the Radio Merit badge. When I said 2meter I was talking 144-148mhz. I want to show them how to build a radio and it was just a project that I wanted to do after I got my ticket.

                Thomas M. Bingham

                > To: ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com
                > From: frank.krizan@...
                > Date: Tue, 4 May 2010 22:17:49 -0500
                > Subject: Re: [ScoutRadio] Two way radio project.
                >
                > Hi Thomas,
                >
                > "2meter radio" needs a little more definition; however, if it's a receiver, you might consider the Ramsey Kit, see
                > http://www.ramseyelectronics.com/cgi-bin/commerce.exe?preadd=action&key=FR-SERIES
                >
                > It's $50 and from my experience you can probably gather up all the parts and build it yourself for twice the price.
                >
                > A number of the 2 meter transceiver kits that used to be around are no longer sold.
                >
                > I would suggest doing a bunch of web searches or looking around the kits area of www.ac6v.com for some useful leads.
                >
                > If it's CW that you have in mind, you may find some simple circuits used by DFers (Radio Direction Finding/Fox Hunting). Also, in the QST archives or older ARRL Handbooks, you should be able to find some vacuum tube receivers and transmitters (AM/CW). Don't know what you have in mind for use of this radio in the "Merit Badge session" (Is this Radio MB?).
                >
                > 73, Frank KR1ZAN
                > Garland, TX
                >

                > On May 4, 2010, at 9:16 PM, THOMAS BINGHAM wrote:
                >
                > > I am getting ready to do a Merit Badge session and would like to build and operate a 2meter radio. Anyone know how to accomplish this and where to get the parts?
                > >
                > > Thomas M. Bingham
                > > KC9KOA
                > >

                > > The New Busy is not the too busy. Combine all your e-mail accounts with Hotmail. Get busy.

                > http://www.ontargetbsa.org/

                > <*> Your email settings:
                > Individual Email | Traditional
                >
                > <*> To change settings online go to:
                > (Yahoo! ID required)
                >
                > <*> To change settings via email:
                > ScoutRadio-digest@yahoogroups.com
                > ScoutRadio-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              • Ray Brown
                Message 7 of 9 , May 4 8:34 PM
                    Hi, Tom... I'm not sure you're going to be able to find one nowadays for 2m FM. I've found several kits
                  for "QRP", or 5-watt transmitters and recievers in kit form, but not for 2m.

                    Several years ago, I built a Ten-Tec 1209 transverter. This converted 6m to 2m and back again.You set
                  your radio to 146.52 FM and it came out 52.52 FM, and if you set 144.125, you got 50.125. What I'm saying
                  is that this transverter kit still took around 12 hours to build, and then I did one thing wrong and I had to send
                  it to Ten-Tec and they corrected the problem at no charge. (wave of hat to them)

                    But the radios are synthesized and require surface-mount construction, and I'm just afraid that it's beyond
                  the reach of most folks to properly assemble a 2m kit. I hope I'm wrong, but I just don't see any 2m kits
                  out there, altho maybe a single-frequency crystal-controlled model?

                    I would think seriously about the QRP kits. I know they're CW only (maybe some have phone, don't know),
                  but if you could prearrange with someone to be on frequency, even with a random-length antenna and a good
                  water pipe connection, you should be able to reach a few miles easy...

                                  Ray Brown, KB0STN
                                  BSRTC, Nih-Ka-Ga-Hah District
                                  Ozark Trails Council
                                  kb0stn@...

                  I am getting ready to do a Merit Badge session and would like to build and operate a 2meter radio. Anyone know how to accomplish this and where to get the parts?
                • nm0s_qrp
                  Message 8 of 9 , May 5 1:30 PM
                    There is the MJF 2M SSB kit
                    http://www.mfjenterprises.com/Product.php?productid=MFJ-9402