Looking for a Monday QSO

  • n5mxi
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 21, 2010
      I'd like to introduce Amateur Radio to my scout troop. We meet Monday evenings at 07:30 p.m.CDT (12:30 UTC Tuesday). I am interested in setting up a QSO with another radio active troop that meets the same time with Echolink capability.

      David - N5MXI
      Corpus Christi, TX
    • J.Gordon Beattie, Jr., W2TTT
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 22, 2010

        David,

        Our Troop meets on Tuesdays, but we have about a dozen Scouts who have licenses.  I think we could  get some of the Scouts to operate on Wednesday night on our local repeater’s Echolink.  If you want to try to access the K2FJ-L Echolink site, you’ll end up on the Chestnut Ridge Radio Club Repeater (146.955) In Alpine, New Jersey .

        Alpine is right on the Hudson River and the repeater is located in a Scout Camp 600 ft above the water on top of the Palisades in the Greater New York Council’s Camp Alpine.  The Camp overlooks New York City and Yonkers , New York .

        Please let me know if you would like to run a test in advance.  You can call me at the number below to coordinate a test or the actual Scout QSO.

        Yours in Scouting!

        Thanks & 73,

        Gordon Beattie, W2TTT

        201.314.6964

        __________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 5048 (20100421) __________

        http://www.eset.com

        __________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 5049 (20100422) __________

        http://www.eset.com

        __________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 5049 (20100422) __________

        http://www.eset.com

      • THOMAS BINGHAM
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 22, 2010
          Any ideas other than ecko link to get a troop interested in radio? I would like to get more operprators in my troop and get more young people involved to keep our hobby alive forever. As with most troop small budget to work with. Any ideas are helpful.------

          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 22, 2010
            Any ideas other than ecko link to get a troop interested in radio? I would like to get more operprators in my troop and get more young people involved to keep our hobby alive forever. As with most troop small budget to work with. Any ideas are helpful.------

            We finally did our own JOTA a few years ago and the boys loved it! Camped out on our church's back lot and let the boys talk with locals and other Scouts on a local 2 meter repeater. We gave a mini-class not long after for parents and the boys. Got a few licensed by the following spring. The boys pretty much ran the show last year. If you have someone that can demo PSK-31, you might get some additional interest there as well. Something about the combination of radio AND computer that they like ;)

            David, we meet Monday evenings, too. I've forwarded your request for an Echo Link QSO to our Senior Patrol Leader. We need to make sure Echo Link will work through our church's router. As soon as we find out, we'll see if we can set up a schedule.

            Alan - KB0PKL
            Scoutmaster Troop 895

            From: "THOMAS BINGHAM " <dragon_slayer1980@...>
            Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2010 17:15:56 +0000
            To: ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com<ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com>

            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 22, 2010

              Tom,

              Well, we do a bunch of things…

              Hikes…with HTs for licensed Hams.   The FRS radios are welcome, but they quickly learn that the Hams win the day…

              Mobile/portable rigs and HTs for public service events and projects…adds a “cool” factor  Bike tours and walks are great opportunities to mix licensed and unlicensed Scouts serving the public and communicating (through the licensed Scout!)

              Have your guys take the CERT and NIMS IS-100 and IS-700 courses to get them thinking about the bigger picture and the importance of being a Radio Amateur as an effective communicator who can help in other ways.

              Have your guys take the homegrown version of the ARRL EC-001 course, but do it interactively perhaps over a weekend with a variety of speakers.

              Do a public event station with a special callsign for something going on in Scouting or your community.

              Do a satellite demo, even if only receive, with a handheld or mobile and a handheld antenna

              Do Field Day as a Troop event.  We do that and roll in fishing and a family barbecue on Saturday evening and a Court of Honor with a cracker barrel back near the equipment for overnight access!

              One thing about this…since most radio clubs will have a lot of unvetted adults, we run our own Field Day and do not go with a club.  You can ask a satellite or emergency power guy to come by and do a demo for an hour and then leave, but you don’t want unknowns around overnight with the kids there.

              We run a one day Amateur Radio course where we review every question and feed attendees in the same place to keep folks on track.  We follow that with a test session in the evening.   You could do this across an evening and another day and evening as well.

              Show them HSMM using Wifi extensions

              Show them HRD or one of the other cool programs

              Show them spotting sites

              Of course, show them satellite tracking programs and use a compass to demonstrate the importance of knowing direction (and elevation) to find the satellite.

              Do Geocaching to sites where then they will need to report what they find by radio.  Make is something that they need to calculate or process so that different teams will have different radio messages.

              Build J-poles…from twin lead or copper…copper ones can start out as plumbing projects and then become antennas through the addition of a coaxial cable!

              As far as EchoLink goes, use a radio to access the EchoLink site and then connect across the Internet to us and we’ll use radios to access our side as well.

              Yours in Scouting!

              Thanks & 73,

              Gordon Beattie, W2TTT

              201.314.6964