Re: [ScoutRadio] SCOUT JAM 2010

  • Frank Krizan
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 3, 2010
      Hi Cal,

      Thanks to your clubs for providing a Ham Radio presence at this scouting event. Based on discussions on this Group, on-the-air, and elsewhere, it appears that numerous Unit and District events will be occurring on weekends throughout April. There are several other big Council events planned in April and May -- many of which have amateur radio presence. Very few have announced hours of operation or bands. Many demonstration stations use VHF/UHF and local repeaters, plus IRLP and EchoLink. Others, take advantage of whatever HF propagation is open to a Scout friendly Ham who will take some time to talk with scouts.

      It has become customary for Radio Scouting activity to center around what has become known as the JOTA or World Scout Frequencies. A convenient list is available at http://www.arrl.org/scouts/jota/#frequencies (*** Please note that this is the OLD ARRL WEB SITE. I do not know where this page will wind up once the cutover occurs. ***). The list is also maintained by the World Organization of the Scout Movement at http://www.scout.org/en/information_events/events/jota/world_scout_frequencies

      Radio Scouting activity tends to center on these frequencies plus/minus about 10 kHz (QRM considered).

      You might want to post the primary bands and hours of operation (GMT) that you will be on, plus the call signs of your station(s) on this Group.

      73, Frank KR1ZAN
      President, K2BSA Amateur Radio Association
      Garland, TX

      On Apr 3, 2010, at 8:41 AM, calz wrote:

      > The Chehaw Council of BSA here in Northwest Florida is holding Scout Jam 2010 on the weekend of April 9-10-11 at the Northwest Florida Fairgrounds in Fort Walton Beach Florida. This is this council's celebration event for the 100th anniversary of Scouting in the USA.
      >
      > The NOARC(North Okaloosa Amateur Radio Club) and PARC (Playground Amateur Radio Club) will support this Scouting event by operating from the County Emergency Communications Trailer at the Fairgrounds.
      >
      > Are there any other Scouting events being held with Amateur Radio presence anywhere in North America on Saturday April 10th? If so what frequencies have you selected for operation?
      >
      > Cal Zethmayr
      > W4GMH
      > Vice President Activities Director
      > NOARC

    • KB3CVS (Tom)
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 4, 2010
        We've been asked to do a demonstration setup at the Dulaney District Camporee, Baltimore Area Council on the 11th.  We'll try to use the JOTA frequencies and see if we can contact any other scout groups.  We're Scout Venture Crew 7388 out of the Baltimore MD area (chartered by the Baltimore Amateur Radio Club).

        Don't know the formal hours yet, but likely to be mid-day (DST, Eastern Time Zone).  Probably 20m/40m at the minimum.
        Depends on the antennas we get up and the quality of the signal.  The Callsign we'll be using is KE3BSA.

        73,
        -Tom-
        (Advisor)

        On 4/3/2010 11:33 AM, Frank Krizan wrote:
[...]

        <*> Your email settings:
            Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
            (Yahoo! ID required)