Re: Boy Scouts reinstate Signaling Merit Badge for anniversary year 2010

  • kd4gcf
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 7, 2010
      Hello All,

      There is a rate reuirement(reference requirement 1) for Morse for send and receive. 35 letters per minute with a sound device.

      Require 2 has a rate of 20 letter per minute with a light device.

      Merit Badge passage constitues not only an understanding of a skill but the ability to proform a skill. Actually all requirements in Scouting is "a skill requirement". Yes the second class skill is to a lesses level and the for a merit badge but you still have to product the slill to meet the requirement to have it counted as passed.

      Watch those toes I step on :-)
      Lee Price
      Eagle Scout
      kd4gcf

      --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, Bill Stewart <w2bsa@...> wrote:

      > Folks,
      > If it's anything like the old First Class signaling requirement, I think
      > there was no speed requirement. You just had to know Morse.
      >
      > YiS
      >
      > Bill Stewart W2BSA
      > COR and UC Crew 80
      >
      > On 2/6/2010 4:34, David Ritchie wrote:
      > >
      > > I am just curious - why 35 characters per minute? This translates to 7
      > > WPM, and most
      > > practice tapes etc. are geared to the 5 WPM rate formerly used for
      > > amateur radio testing.
      > > Computer based programs can easily generate this, but..
      > >
      > > also, 35 characters per minute on flag signaling may be pretty quick,
      > > particularly if
      > > you are using big flags (over a long distance, where big flags are
      > > necessary.)
      > >
      > > Yours in Scouting,
      > > Dave Ritchie N4DJS
      > > ASM, Troop 714

    • Kymm Balinth-Regan
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 7, 2010
        As of last Thursday National in Texas stated this was still just a proposal on the table....They will let
        us know when or if they follow through....The person "teaching" and signing off must be a
        registered merit badge councelor with council and this was also another sticking point since this is a
        temp badge reinstatement for the anniversary

        On Sun, 07 Feb 2010 14:39:00 -0000, kd4gcf wrote