Re: [ScoutRadio] Re: Boy Scouts reinstate Signaling Merit Badge for anniversary year 2010

  • David Ritchie
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 6, 2010
      On Sat, Feb 6, 2010 at 4:34 PM, David Ritchie <deritchie@...> wrote:

      > also, 35 characters per minute on flag signaling may be pretty quick,
      > particularly if
      > you are using big flags (over a long distance, where big flags are necessary.)
      >
      > Yours in Scouting,
      > Dave Ritchie N4DJS
      > ASM, Troop 714

      Sorry, misrecalled the semaphore requirements... 20 characters/minute
      is the actually and
      is a bit more reasonable.
    • kd4gcf
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 7, 2010
        Hello All,

        There is a rate reuirement(reference requirement 1) for Morse for send and receive. 35 letters per minute with a sound device.

        Require 2 has a rate of 20 letter per minute with a light device.

        Merit Badge passage constitues not only an understanding of a skill but the ability to proform a skill. Actually all requirements in Scouting is "a skill requirement". Yes the second class skill is to a lesses level and the for a merit badge but you still have to product the slill to meet the requirement to have it counted as passed.

        Watch those toes I step on :-)
        Lee Price
        Eagle Scout
        kd4gcf

        --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, Bill Stewart <w2bsa@...> wrote:

        > Folks,
        > If it's anything like the old First Class signaling requirement, I think
        > there was no speed requirement. You just had to know Morse.
        >
        > YiS
        >
        > Bill Stewart W2BSA
        > COR and UC Crew 80
        >
        > On 2/6/2010 4:34, David Ritchie wrote:
        > >
        > > I am just curious - why 35 characters per minute? This translates to 7
        > > WPM, and most
        > > practice tapes etc. are geared to the 5 WPM rate formerly used for
        > > amateur radio testing.
        > > Computer based programs can easily generate this, but..
        > >
        > > also, 35 characters per minute on flag signaling may be pretty quick,
        > > particularly if
        > > you are using big flags (over a long distance, where big flags are
        > > necessary.)
        > >
        > > Yours in Scouting,
        > > Dave Ritchie N4DJS
        > > ASM, Troop 714

      • Kymm Balinth-Regan
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 7, 2010
          As of last Thursday National in Texas stated this was still just a proposal on the table....They will let
          us know when or if they follow through....The person "teaching" and signing off must be a
          registered merit badge councelor with council and this was also another sticking point since this is a
          temp badge reinstatement for the anniversary

          On Sun, 07 Feb 2010 14:39:00 -0000, kd4gcf wrote