Re: [ScoutRadio] Re: Boy Scouts reinstate Signaling Merit Badge for anniversary year 2010

  • David Ritchie
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 6, 2010
      I am just curious - why 35 characters per minute? This translates to 7
      WPM, and most
      practice tapes etc. are geared to the 5 WPM rate formerly used for
      amateur radio testing.
      Computer based programs can easily generate this, but..

      also, 35 characters per minute on flag signaling may be pretty quick,
      particularly if
      you are using big flags (over a long distance, where big flags are necessary.)

      Yours in Scouting,
      Dave Ritchie N4DJS
      ASM, Troop 714
    • Bill Stewart
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 6, 2010
        Folks,
        If it's anything like the old First Class signaling requirement, I think there was no speed requirement. You just had to know Morse.

        YiS

        Bill Stewart W2BSA
        COR and UC Crew 80

        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 6, 2010
          On Sat, Feb 6, 2010 at 4:34 PM, David Ritchie <deritchie@...> wrote:

          > also, 35 characters per minute on flag signaling may be pretty quick,
          > particularly if
          > you are using big flags (over a long distance, where big flags are necessary.)
          >
          > Yours in Scouting,
          > Dave Ritchie N4DJS
          > ASM, Troop 714

          Sorry, misrecalled the semaphore requirements... 20 characters/minute
          is the actually and
          is a bit more reasonable.
        • kd4gcf
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 7, 2010
            Hello All,

            There is a rate reuirement(reference requirement 1) for Morse for send and receive. 35 letters per minute with a sound device.

            Require 2 has a rate of 20 letter per minute with a light device.

            Merit Badge passage constitues not only an understanding of a skill but the ability to proform a skill. Actually all requirements in Scouting is "a skill requirement". Yes the second class skill is to a lesses level and the for a merit badge but you still have to product the slill to meet the requirement to have it counted as passed.

            Watch those toes I step on :-)
            Lee Price
            Eagle Scout
            kd4gcf

            --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, Bill Stewart <w2bsa@...> wrote:

            > Folks,
            > If it's anything like the old First Class signaling requirement, I think
            > there was no speed requirement. You just had to know Morse.
            >
            > YiS
            >
            > Bill Stewart W2BSA
            > COR and UC Crew 80
            >
            > On 2/6/2010 4:34, David Ritchie wrote:
            > >
            > > I am just curious - why 35 characters per minute? This translates to 7
            > > WPM, and most
            > > practice tapes etc. are geared to the 5 WPM rate formerly used for
            > > amateur radio testing.
            > > Computer based programs can easily generate this, but..
            > >
            > > also, 35 characters per minute on flag signaling may be pretty quick,
            > > particularly if
            > > you are using big flags (over a long distance, where big flags are
            > > necessary.)
            > >
            > > Yours in Scouting,
            > > Dave Ritchie N4DJS
            > > ASM, Troop 714

          • Kymm Balinth-Regan
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 7, 2010
              As of last Thursday National in Texas stated this was still just a proposal on the table....They will let
              us know when or if they follow through....The person "teaching" and signing off must be a
              registered merit badge councelor with council and this was also another sticking point since this is a
              temp badge reinstatement for the anniversary

              On Sun, 07 Feb 2010 14:39:00 -0000, kd4gcf wrote