Re: Boy Scouts reinstate Signaling Merit Badge for anniversary year 2010

  • wb2boo
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 5, 2010
      --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, "Kymm Balinth-Regan" <kimbare@...> wrote:

      > I just spoke to national in Irving Texas and they stated that this has been suspended and is not going to be for mow...they will post it on scouting .org if they in the future go through with it

      More correctly it's just on hold for a short while along with the other historic merit badges as they finalize the requirements for the badges. Most have had a variety of requirements over their lifespans so a standard set of 2010 requirements need to be published before Scouts can work on them.

      That said, a Scout who starts learning both Morse and semaphore now will be better prepared to earn Signaling when its finalized. We all know those are not skill that one learns overnight.

      73

      Gary Wilson, K2GW
      Unit Commissioner
    • David Ritchie
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 6, 2010
        I am just curious - why 35 characters per minute? This translates to 7
        WPM, and most
        practice tapes etc. are geared to the 5 WPM rate formerly used for
        amateur radio testing.
        Computer based programs can easily generate this, but..

        also, 35 characters per minute on flag signaling may be pretty quick,
        particularly if
        you are using big flags (over a long distance, where big flags are necessary.)

        Yours in Scouting,
        Dave Ritchie N4DJS
        ASM, Troop 714
      • Bill Stewart
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 6, 2010
          Folks,
          If it's anything like the old First Class signaling requirement, I think there was no speed requirement. You just had to know Morse.

          YiS

          Bill Stewart W2BSA
          COR and UC Crew 80

          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 6, 2010
            On Sat, Feb 6, 2010 at 4:34 PM, David Ritchie <deritchie@...> wrote:

            > also, 35 characters per minute on flag signaling may be pretty quick,
            > particularly if
            > you are using big flags (over a long distance, where big flags are necessary.)
            >
            > Yours in Scouting,
            > Dave Ritchie N4DJS
            > ASM, Troop 714

            Sorry, misrecalled the semaphore requirements... 20 characters/minute
            is the actually and
            is a bit more reasonable.
          • kd4gcf
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 7, 2010
              Hello All,

              There is a rate reuirement(reference requirement 1) for Morse for send and receive. 35 letters per minute with a sound device.

              Require 2 has a rate of 20 letter per minute with a light device.

              Merit Badge passage constitues not only an understanding of a skill but the ability to proform a skill. Actually all requirements in Scouting is "a skill requirement". Yes the second class skill is to a lesses level and the for a merit badge but you still have to product the slill to meet the requirement to have it counted as passed.

              Watch those toes I step on :-)
              Lee Price
              Eagle Scout
              kd4gcf

              --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, Bill Stewart <w2bsa@...> wrote:

              > Folks,
              > If it's anything like the old First Class signaling requirement, I think
              > there was no speed requirement. You just had to know Morse.
              >
              > YiS
              >
              > Bill Stewart W2BSA
              > COR and UC Crew 80
              >
              > On 2/6/2010 4:34, David Ritchie wrote:
              > >
              > > I am just curious - why 35 characters per minute? This translates to 7
              > > WPM, and most
              > > practice tapes etc. are geared to the 5 WPM rate formerly used for
              > > amateur radio testing.
              > > Computer based programs can easily generate this, but..
              > >
              > > also, 35 characters per minute on flag signaling may be pretty quick,
              > > particularly if
              > > you are using big flags (over a long distance, where big flags are
              > > necessary.)
              > >
              > > Yours in Scouting,
              > > Dave Ritchie N4DJS
              > > ASM, Troop 714

            • Kymm Balinth-Regan
              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 7, 2010
                As of last Thursday National in Texas stated this was still just a proposal on the table....They will let
                us know when or if they follow through....The person "teaching" and signing off must be a
                registered merit badge councelor with council and this was also another sticking point since this is a
                temp badge reinstatement for the anniversary

                On Sun, 07 Feb 2010 14:39:00 -0000, kd4gcf wrote