Re: General Test Upgrade for Eleven Year Old

  • n5dgh
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 4, 2010
      When my wife upgraded last year, our club divied up some seven sessions based on the ARRL General upgrade manual. [She and our 11 year old daughter had attained their Techs by our reading and answering the question pool over about three hours of a four hour drive to a scheduled Field Day VE session, with no previous study.] We had all ages and backgrounds in the upgrade class. Between the book,
      the class structure to keep people moving together, and a little clarification now and again, two months later, we had a new crop of Generals. She saw me do my homework preparing my visuals for the section on Propagation and later was pleased with her understanding on the subject. Just like we do in BSA Shooting Sports and Hunter Education, team teaching keeps it interesting and all finished within two months.

      --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, "Steven Read \(ab9ol\)" <ab9ol@...> wrote:

      > I am looking to upgrade an eleven year old technician to a general and
      > would like some suggestions how best to proceed.
      >
      > --
      >
      > Steven Read - ab9ol - (em79jt)
      > Dublin, IN

    • Elden Morris
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 4, 2010

        I teach a Technician Class a couple times per year but in preparing for that, I went to a neighboring radio club that was teaching a General Class to see how it was done. There was one 12 year old taking the ARRL  course taught from the Power Point Presentation they produce. I was in the room where the exams were being graded and this 12 year old got the best score.

        Remember, these youngsters have minds that are like steel traps. They remember everything they think is important.

        ELDEN MORRIS, N1ETN

        Mableton, Georgia

        When my wife upgraded last year, our club divied up some seven sessions based on the ARRL General upgrade manual. [She and our 11 year old daughter had attained their Techs by our reading and answering the question pool over about three hours of a four hour drive to a scheduled Field Day VE session, with no previous study.] We had all ages and backgrounds in the upgrade class. Between the book,
        the class structure to keep people moving together, and a little clarification now and again, two months later, we had a new crop of Generals. She saw me do my homework preparing my visuals for the section on Propagation and later was pleased with her understanding on the subject. Just like we do in BSA Shooting Sports and Hunter Education, team teaching keeps it interesting and all finished within two months.

        --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, "Steven Read \(ab9ol\)" <ab9ol@...> wrote:

        > I am looking to upgrade an eleven year old technician to a general and
        > would like some suggestions how best to proceed.
        >
        > --
        >
        > Steven Read - ab9ol - (em79jt)
        > Dublin, IN

      • Steven Read (ab9ol)
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 4, 2010
          Mark,

          I am replying to you off list because there are some additional wrinkles
          that I do not wish to mention here. If you do not receive my reply let
          me know.

          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 4, 2010
            May I please have the URL for the Power Point presentation?

            --

            Steven Read - ab9ol - (em79jt)
            Dublin, IN
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 4, 2010
              There are a couple of cub scouts working towards their tech license. It
              sounds like one option would be have this person wait until they get
              their tech license then form a general group.

              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 4, 2010
                Thanks very much. Podcasts were not something I had considered it is
                getting late and we have bad weather coming so I have to get up extra
                early for the commute. I will start downloading the files from these
                sites over the weekend. Money is very much of an issue so I will have to
                think carefully before purchasing anything (I have three in college and
                the family of person working on the general has limited resources --
                health issues of the father.)

                --

                Steven Read - ab9ol - (em79jt)
                Dublin, IN
                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 5, 2010

                  There is no url for the Power Point Presentation. I purchased

                  The ARRL Instructor's Manual for Technician and General License Courses
                  -- 4th Edition

                  from the ARRL web site under Instructor Support. It cost $19.00 and comes with a manual and CD rom. This version includes both the Technician AND General and works very well.

                  I bought my copy a year ago before I taught my first calss. I've taught two small classes and have 14 new hams out there as a result. As soon as the new manual is available, I will be buying it also.

                  I have another class set up for in April with a 10 year old already signed up.

                  If you will be teaching classes, make sure you register as an instructor with the ARRL. This gives you advertising on the ARRL site under classes as well as a discount when purchasing training aids.

                  I have an old Power Point Presentation for the Radio Merit Badge Class I teach if you want it. It was put together by a friend who is also a merit badge counselor.

                  73's & Yours in Scouting

                  ELDEN MORRIS, N1ETN

                  Radio Merit Badge Counselor

                  Covered Bridge & Foothills Districts