General Test Upgrade for Eleven Year Old

  • Steven Read (ab9ol)
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 2, 2010
      I am looking to upgrade an eleven year old technician to a general and
      would like some suggestions how best to proceed.

      --

      Steven Read - ab9ol - (em79jt)
      Dublin, IN
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 2, 2010
        > I am looking to upgrade an eleven year old technician to a general and
        > would like some suggestions how best to proceed.

        It is pretty much a consensus among those who have self-studied, and my experience teaching classes, it is best to study
        just the question and the correct answer from the questions pools ignoring the answers that are not correct.

        Here are some links:

        This site has the best downloads and links. I use the PowerPoint and hand out the study guide from N8KBR for my one day
        Tech classes:
        http://www.hamradioinstructor.com/

        How about a "podclass". Listen on your MP3 player or burn CDs and listen in the car while
        commuting or traveling:
        http://hamradioclass.com/

        This site charges $50 for a two year subscription. Many say it works quite well for upgrading to General and Extra:
        http://www.hamtestonline.com/

        A great site for general information and where you can look up information on other Hams.
        If you want to know who lives in your neighborhood that is a Ham there is a great lookup engine.
        There are also links to practice exams:
        http://www.qrz.com/

        Software can be purchased as well as books. I am partial to the ARRL publications and the W5YI software:
        http://www.arrl.org/
        http://www.w5yi.org/

        There are several places on the Internet that allow you to take a sample exam. Don't use these for study. They are
        great to give you an idea if you are getting close to passing the exam but chances are you will end up not seeing all
        the questions in the pool by taking the exam over and over. You need to study the entire question pool, each and every
        question.

        Keep in mind the question pools for exams change for one or more of the license classes at least every two years. The
        Extra class pool changed the first of July 2008. The Technician pool will change July of 2010. Be sure you are
        studying the current question pool.

        Steve NV7V
      • Mark Phillips
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 3, 2010
          Going to your local testing session would be a good start :}

          Seriously, I think at that age unless the child is a genius the best way
          would be to rehearse the question pool with him.

          Can you engage his teachers in this endevour? The maths and physics
          elements might play into something going on at school.

          Mark

          On 02/02/2010 05:03 PM, Steven Read (ab9ol) wrote:
          > I am looking to upgrade an eleven year old technician to a general and
          > would like some suggestions how best to proceed.

        • n5dgh
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 4, 2010
            When my wife upgraded last year, our club divied up some seven sessions based on the ARRL General upgrade manual. [She and our 11 year old daughter had attained their Techs by our reading and answering the question pool over about three hours of a four hour drive to a scheduled Field Day VE session, with no previous study.] We had all ages and backgrounds in the upgrade class. Between the book,
            the class structure to keep people moving together, and a little clarification now and again, two months later, we had a new crop of Generals. She saw me do my homework preparing my visuals for the section on Propagation and later was pleased with her understanding on the subject. Just like we do in BSA Shooting Sports and Hunter Education, team teaching keeps it interesting and all finished within two months.

            --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, "Steven Read \(ab9ol\)" <ab9ol@...> wrote:

            > I am looking to upgrade an eleven year old technician to a general and
            > would like some suggestions how best to proceed.
            >
            > --
            >
            > Steven Read - ab9ol - (em79jt)
            > Dublin, IN

          • Elden Morris
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 4, 2010

              I teach a Technician Class a couple times per year but in preparing for that, I went to a neighboring radio club that was teaching a General Class to see how it was done. There was one 12 year old taking the ARRL  course taught from the Power Point Presentation they produce. I was in the room where the exams were being graded and this 12 year old got the best score.

              Remember, these youngsters have minds that are like steel traps. They remember everything they think is important.

              ELDEN MORRIS, N1ETN

              Mableton, Georgia

              When my wife upgraded last year, our club divied up some seven sessions based on the ARRL General upgrade manual. [She and our 11 year old daughter had attained their Techs by our reading and answering the question pool over about three hours of a four hour drive to a scheduled Field Day VE session, with no previous study.] We had all ages and backgrounds in the upgrade class. Between the book,
              the class structure to keep people moving together, and a little clarification now and again, two months later, we had a new crop of Generals. She saw me do my homework preparing my visuals for the section on Propagation and later was pleased with her understanding on the subject. Just like we do in BSA Shooting Sports and Hunter Education, team teaching keeps it interesting and all finished within two months.

              --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, "Steven Read \(ab9ol\)" <ab9ol@...> wrote:

              > I am looking to upgrade an eleven year old technician to a general and
              > would like some suggestions how best to proceed.
              >
              > --
              >
              > Steven Read - ab9ol - (em79jt)
              > Dublin, IN

            • Steven Read (ab9ol)
              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 4, 2010
                Mark,

                I am replying to you off list because there are some additional wrinkles
                that I do not wish to mention here. If you do not receive my reply let
                me know.

                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 4, 2010
                  May I please have the URL for the Power Point presentation?

                  --

                  Steven Read - ab9ol - (em79jt)
                  Dublin, IN
                  Message 8 of 10 , Feb 4, 2010
                    There are a couple of cub scouts working towards their tech license. It
                    sounds like one option would be have this person wait until they get
                    their tech license then form a general group.

                    Message 9 of 10 , Feb 4, 2010
                      Thanks very much. Podcasts were not something I had considered it is
                      getting late and we have bad weather coming so I have to get up extra
                      early for the commute. I will start downloading the files from these
                      sites over the weekend. Money is very much of an issue so I will have to
                      think carefully before purchasing anything (I have three in college and
                      the family of person working on the general has limited resources --
                      health issues of the father.)

                      --

                      Steven Read - ab9ol - (em79jt)
                      Dublin, IN
                      Message 10 of 10 , Feb 5, 2010

                        There is no url for the Power Point Presentation. I purchased

                        The ARRL Instructor's Manual for Technician and General License Courses
                        -- 4th Edition

                        from the ARRL web site under Instructor Support. It cost $19.00 and comes with a manual and CD rom. This version includes both the Technician AND General and works very well.

                        I bought my copy a year ago before I taught my first calss. I've taught two small classes and have 14 new hams out there as a result. As soon as the new manual is available, I will be buying it also.

                        I have another class set up for in April with a 10 year old already signed up.

                        If you will be teaching classes, make sure you register as an instructor with the ARRL. This gives you advertising on the ARRL site under classes as well as a discount when purchasing training aids.

                        I have an old Power Point Presentation for the Radio Merit Badge Class I teach if you want it. It was put together by a friend who is also a merit badge counselor.

                        73's & Yours in Scouting

                        ELDEN MORRIS, N1ETN

                        Radio Merit Badge Counselor

                        Covered Bridge & Foothills Districts