Boy Scouts reinstate Signaling Merit Badge for anniversary year 2010

  • James Olson
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 31, 2010
      For a limited time only:  Signaling Merit Badge is back!  In celebration of the 100th anniversary of the Boy Scouts of America, four Merit Badges (Carpentry, Pathfinding, Tracking, and Signaling) are being made available during the year 2010.  These badges were retired over the years, but have been brought back to help the boys connect to their Scouting heritage as they look to the future.

      As mentioned on a Scouting website:

      "If this is a program you want to bring to your troop, the BSA suggests you track down merit badge counselors soon. For Carpentry, contact a local cabinet-making business. A nearby Homeland Security office could help you with Pathfinding. Signaling would benefit from the help of a local amateur ham radio group.  And for Tracking, try your state’s department of natural resources. Those are merely suggestions. Be creative!"

      Work on the badges is not to commence prior to January 1, 2010 and is to be finished no later than December 31, 2010.

      Requirements:

      1. Make an electric buzzer outfit, wireless, blinker, or other signaling device. Send and receive in the International Morse Code, by buzzer or other sound device, a complete message of not less than 35 words, at a rate of not less than 35 letters per minute.
      2. Demonstrate an ability to send and receive a message in the International Morse Code by wigwag and by blinker or other light signaling device at a rate of not less than 20 letters per minute.
      3. Send and receive by Semaphore Code at the rate of not less than 30 letters per minute.
      4. Know the proper application of the International Morse Code and Semaphore Codes; when, where, and how they can be used to best advantage.
      5. Discuss briefly various other codes and methods of signaling which are in common use.

      As a special recognition, the badges will have a gold thread around the border of the emblem.

      http://usscouts.org/mb/signaling.asp

      http://blog.scoutingmagazine.org/2010/01/historical-merit-badges-help-boy-scouts-celebrate-scoutings-past.html

      Regards,

      James Olson, W4JO

      Regards,

      James Olson

      Regards,

      James Olson
    • Kymm Balinth-Regan
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 1, 2010
        On Sun, 31 Jan 2010 18:44:12 -0800 (PST), James Olson wrote

        > For a limited time only:  Signaling Merit Badge is back!  In celebration of the 100th anniversary of the Boy Scouts of America, four Merit Badges (Carpentry, Pathfinding, Tracking, and Signaling) are being made available during the year 2010.  These badges were retired over the years, but have been brought back to help the boys connect to their Scouting heritage as they look to the future.
        >
        > As mentioned on a Scouting website:
        >
        > "If this is a program you want to bring to your troop, the BSA suggests you track down merit badge counselors soon. For Carpentry, contact a local cabinet-making business. A nearby Homeland Security office could help you with Pathfinding. Signaling would benefit from the help of a local amateur ham radio group.  And for Tracking, try your [UTF-8?]state’s department of natural resources. Those are merely suggestions. Be creative!"
        >
        > Work on the badges is not to commence prior to January 1, 2010 and is to be finished no later than December 31, 2010.

        Requirements:

        1. Make an electric buzzer outfit, wireless, blinker, or other signaling device. Send and receive in the International Morse Code, by buzzer or other sound device, a complete message of not less than 35 words, at a rate of not less than 35 letters per minute.
        2. Demonstrate an ability to send and receive a message in the International Morse Code by wigwag and by blinker or other light signaling device at a rate of not less than 20 letters per minute.
        3. Send and receive by Semaphore Code at the rate of not less than 30 letters per minute.
        4. Know the proper application of the International Morse Code and Semaphore Codes; when, where, and how they can be used to best advantage.
        5. Discuss briefly various other codes and methods of signaling which are in common use.

        > As a special recognition, the badges will have a gold thread around the border of the emblem.
        >
        > http://usscouts. org/mb/signaling .asp
        >
        > http://blog. scoutingmagazine .org/2010/ 01/historical- merit-badges- help-boy- scouts-celebrate -scoutings- past.html
        >
        > Regards,
        >
        > James Olson, W4JO
        >
        > Regards,
        >
        > James Olson
        >
        > Regards,
        >
        > James Olson

      • Kymm Balinth-Regan
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 1, 2010

          I just spoke to national in Irving Texas and they stated that this has been suspended and is not going to be for mow...they will post it on scouting .org if they in the future go through with it

        • jaevans@pcisys.net
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 1, 2010
            Just for clarification, are you saying that national has suspended the
            commemorative set of merit badges for now or just the signaling MB ?

            Thanks,
            John

            > I just spoke to national in Irving Texas and they stated that this has
            been suspended and
            is not going to be for mow...they will post it on scouting .org if they in
            the future go
            through with it

          • wb2boo
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 5, 2010
              --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, "Kymm Balinth-Regan" <kimbare@...> wrote:

              > I just spoke to national in Irving Texas and they stated that this has been suspended and is not going to be for mow...they will post it on scouting .org if they in the future go through with it

              More correctly it's just on hold for a short while along with the other historic merit badges as they finalize the requirements for the badges. Most have had a variety of requirements over their lifespans so a standard set of 2010 requirements need to be published before Scouts can work on them.

              That said, a Scout who starts learning both Morse and semaphore now will be better prepared to earn Signaling when its finalized. We all know those are not skill that one learns overnight.

              73

              Gary Wilson, K2GW
              Unit Commissioner
            • David Ritchie
              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 6, 2010
                I am just curious - why 35 characters per minute? This translates to 7
                WPM, and most
                practice tapes etc. are geared to the 5 WPM rate formerly used for
                amateur radio testing.
                Computer based programs can easily generate this, but..

                also, 35 characters per minute on flag signaling may be pretty quick,
                particularly if
                you are using big flags (over a long distance, where big flags are necessary.)

                Yours in Scouting,
                Dave Ritchie N4DJS
                ASM, Troop 714
              • Bill Stewart
                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 6, 2010
                  Folks,
                  If it's anything like the old First Class signaling requirement, I think there was no speed requirement. You just had to know Morse.

                  YiS

                  Bill Stewart W2BSA
                  COR and UC Crew 80

                  Message 8 of 10 , Feb 6, 2010
                    On Sat, Feb 6, 2010 at 4:34 PM, David Ritchie <deritchie@...> wrote:

                    > also, 35 characters per minute on flag signaling may be pretty quick,
                    > particularly if
                    > you are using big flags (over a long distance, where big flags are necessary.)
                    >
                    > Yours in Scouting,
                    > Dave Ritchie N4DJS
                    > ASM, Troop 714

                    Sorry, misrecalled the semaphore requirements... 20 characters/minute
                    is the actually and
                    is a bit more reasonable.
                  • kd4gcf
                    Message 9 of 10 , Feb 7, 2010
                      Hello All,

                      There is a rate reuirement(reference requirement 1) for Morse for send and receive. 35 letters per minute with a sound device.

                      Require 2 has a rate of 20 letter per minute with a light device.

                      Merit Badge passage constitues not only an understanding of a skill but the ability to proform a skill. Actually all requirements in Scouting is "a skill requirement". Yes the second class skill is to a lesses level and the for a merit badge but you still have to product the slill to meet the requirement to have it counted as passed.

                      Watch those toes I step on :-)
                      Lee Price
                      Eagle Scout
                      kd4gcf

                      --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, Bill Stewart <w2bsa@...> wrote:

                      > Folks,
                      > If it's anything like the old First Class signaling requirement, I think
                      > there was no speed requirement. You just had to know Morse.
                      >
                      > YiS
                      >
                      > Bill Stewart W2BSA
                      > COR and UC Crew 80
                      >
                      > On 2/6/2010 4:34, David Ritchie wrote:
                      > >
                      > > I am just curious - why 35 characters per minute? This translates to 7
                      > > WPM, and most
                      > > practice tapes etc. are geared to the 5 WPM rate formerly used for
                      > > amateur radio testing.
                      > > Computer based programs can easily generate this, but..
                      > >
                      > > also, 35 characters per minute on flag signaling may be pretty quick,
                      > > particularly if
                      > > you are using big flags (over a long distance, where big flags are
                      > > necessary.)
                      > >
                      > > Yours in Scouting,
                      > > Dave Ritchie N4DJS
                      > > ASM, Troop 714

                    • Kymm Balinth-Regan
                      Message 10 of 10 , Feb 7, 2010
                        As of last Thursday National in Texas stated this was still just a proposal on the table....They will let
                        us know when or if they follow through....The person "teaching" and signing off must be a
                        registered merit badge councelor with council and this was also another sticking point since this is a
                        temp badge reinstatement for the anniversary

                        On Sun, 07 Feb 2010 14:39:00 -0000, kd4gcf wrote