Re: [ScoutRadio] National Jamboree Summit on the Air

  • AF6AX
    Message 1 of 19 , Jan 6, 2010
      Greg,

      That would be way cool.

      I'm trying to get set up for SOTA activities, but don't yet have any actual experience.
      I'm trying to build an ultralight EFHW for 20m that uses four trekking poles and
      some tent poles as a mast.

      It's too bad more scouts don't know CW.  You usually have to lug more battery
      power to get a good sideband signal, (and a heavier rig).

      I have been up BP a couple of times, the most recent to celebrate my son's
      12'th birthday last June.

      Please consider me as a potential participant.

      YiS,

      -Mark Z, AF6AX
       Redlands, CA

      On Tue, Jan 5, 2010 at 1:42 PM, Gregory <more_toys@...> wrote:

      During the 2010 National BSA Jamboree, Jul 26-Aug4, wouldn't it be cool if we could have Jamboree participants in Virginia talk to Hams operating from the peak (or on-the-mountain) of Mt. Baden-Powell in the San Gabriel Mountains?

      Does anyone have experience doing something like this before? Give me a call/email - or answer back to this group - if you think we can make it happen.

    • JRK
      Message 2 of 19 , Jan 6, 2010
        Hi all
        Old Capitol Valley District will be holding a winter
        camporee Jan. 30 & 31 in Coralville Iowa.

        We will be setting up a radio station for our scouts to
        come in and discover ham radio.
        We will have an HF station on 20 meters working around
        14.290. We also hope to have an echolink station running
        and a 2 meter rig scanning the local repeaters.
        Call sign will be KB0GVI

        We will have some code sheets and keys there for the
        scouts to play with, also info on test requirements, and
        inexpensive ways to get on the air.

        We also plan on having a few stories of hams in action, ie
        the Iowa City tornado of a few years ago and the flooding
        in Cedar Rapids. Along with this I am going to have
        contact info for the local clubs.

        I have not done any digital modes on radio and am looking
        for info on the to present to the scouts. Any suggestions
        would be a big help.
        Thanks and '73s
        Jeff KB0GVI
      • Keith Kaiser

          Message 4 of 19 , Jan 6, 2010
            [snip]

            I have not done any digital modes on radio and am looking for info on the to
            present to the scouts. Any suggestions would be a big help.

            [end]

            Jeff,

            You'll likely hear many ideas. Lots of experienced folk in this group.

            Morse key and even a keyboard driven generator (a program on a laptop?) are
            good ways to get their attention. PSK demo works too. ARRL has some good
            handout stuff, "We Do That" brochure as well as others. I usually request a
            hundred or so at the start of summer visitation season, then send ARRL a
            donation. Try to get a helper or two, just to save your vocal cords. Be
            upbeat and inviting, tell adults how technology skills will benefit the
            youth. Winter campout? Propane stove and cocoa are appreciated and gets the
            visitors to linger. If you have a helper, consider giving out and scoring a
            few of the shorter Radio Merit Badge requirements. Give the Scout a head
            start on this badge and he may finish it up "back home". I usually give a
            signed note to the Scout that he can take back to his MB counselor.

            73 de Dale
          • K3nvi@aol.com
            Message 5 of 19 , Jan 7, 2010
              Dale,
              Download Digipan V2.0 into your laptop or desktop and all you will need is a headphone with boom mike. Show copy first and then try a connect and talk.
              Or just a simple computer mike will work, keep away from speakers because of feedback.
              Dennis K3NVI, York,, PA

              Message 6 of 19 , Jan 7, 2010
                > Download Digipan V2.0 into your laptop
                > or desktop and all you will need is a
                > headphone with boom mike....

                Digipan is a fantastic attention getter. One does not need the
                headphones or mike on most laptops. I do all my demo's with
                zero hardware. Just let the laptop built-in mike hear the
                surrounding HF audio coming from the nearby HF rig. Its
                absolutely amazing...

                Lets them see how DSP pulls amateur radio signals out of
                surrounding audio. Young kids like it because it seems like a
                secret code... And then they can mouse around an decode the
                signals. A benefit is that as you are talking, they can also
                see your voice on the waterfall. A BIG disadvantage is that as
                you are talking... You mess up the on-air signals. So it's a
                double edged sword. Best to also have an audio cable from the
                HF speaker over to the lien input so that once you have done the
                demo, and want to let them get into some serious decoding, then
                you swap the hard connection in place of the internal mike.

                Also don't overlook multiple laptops for multiple kids all
                listening to the same 14.070 signal...

                Bob, Wb4APR

              • David
                Message 7 of 19 , Apr 27, 2010
                  Hi,

                  K2BSA will be operating continuously during the upcoming 2010 National Scout Jamboree. Your group in San Gabriel Mountains will be able to make contact on the standard Scout frequencies.

                  Please visit www.nsj2010ham.com for all the details on the K2BSA operation at Jamboree.

                  David
                  --
                  2010 National Scout Jamboree
                  K2BSA Amateur Radio Staff

                  David Q. Gaddis, P.E., KE4KPC
                  5600 Green Valley Drive
                  Knoxville, TN 37914
                  (865) 637-2173

                  dgaddis@...
                  k2bsa@...
                  www.nsj2010ham.com

                  --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, "Gregory" <more_toys@...> wrote:

                  > Attn South Western US Hams. I had an idea, but need some help making it happen.
                  >
                  > During the 2010 National BSA Jamboree, Jul 26-Aug4, wouldn't it be cool if we could have Jamboree participants in Virginia talk to Hams operating from the peak (or on-the-mountain) of Mt. Baden-Powell in the San Gabriel Mountains?
                  >
                  > Prefereably the hams on Mt. BP would be scouts. This could be a 2-3 day, or all week, operating event and we could send special QSL cards from there - with special event call sign W6BP or similar.
                  >
                  > Does anyone have experience doing something like this before? Give me a call/email - or answer back to this group - if you think we can make it happen.
                  >
                  > Greg Chapelle
                  > Scoutmaster, Troop 667, San Diego, California
                  > http://www.troop667.info
                  > more_toys@...
                  > WA6YLR
                  > 858.484.2580 (home)

                • THOMAS BINGHAM
                  Message 8 of 19 , May 8 10:07 AM
                    Can you send me a list of the standard scout frequencies?

                    Thomas M. Bingham

                    To: ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com
                    From: dgaddis@...
                    Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2010 13:15:01 +0000
                    Subject: [ScoutRadio] Re: National Jamboree Summit on the Air

                    dgaddis@comcast. net
                    k2bsa@comcast. net
                    www.nsj2010ham. com

                    --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogro ups.com, "Gregory" <more_toys@. ..> wrote:

                    > Attn South Western US Hams. I had an idea, but need some help making it happen.
                    >
                    > During the 2010 National BSA Jamboree, Jul 26-Aug4, wouldn't it be cool if we could have Jamboree participants in Virginia talk to Hams operating from the peak (or on-the-mountain) of Mt. Baden-Powell in the San Gabriel Mountains?
                    >
                    > Prefereably the hams on Mt. BP would be scouts. This could be a 2-3 day, or all week, operating event and we could send special QSL cards from there - with special event call sign W6BP or similar.
                    >
                    > Does anyone have experience doing something like this before? Give me a call/email - or answer back to this group - if you think we can make it happen.
                    >
                    > Greg Chapelle
                    > Scoutmaster, Troop 667, San Diego, California
                    > http://www.troop667 .info
                    > more_toys@.. .
                    > WA6YLR
                    > 858.484.2580 (home)

                  • Stephen M. Shearer
                    Message 9 of 19 , May 8 12:38 PM
                      • 80 Meters: Phone: 3.940 MHz CW:3.590 MHz
                      • 40 Meters: Phone: 7.270 MHz CW:7.030 MHz
                      • 20 Meters: Phone: 14.290 MHz CW: 14.070 MHz
                      • 15 Meters: Phone: 21.360 MHz CW: 21.140 MHz
                      • 10 Meters: Phone: 28.360 & 28.990 MHz CW: 28.190 MHz

                      See: http://www.bpmlegal.com/k2bsafrq.html  and
                      http://www.bpmlegal.com/k2bsa.html

                      K2BSA will also be active with APRS, see: http://aprs.org/  and
                      http://aprs.org/aprs-jamboree-2010.html

                      73, Steve WB3LGC

                      To: ScoutRadio@yahoogro ups.com
                      From: dgaddis@comcast. net
                      Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2010 13:15:01 +0000

                      Hi,

                      K2BSA will be operating continuously during the upcoming 2010 National Scout Jamboree. Your group in San Gabriel Mountains will be able to make contact on the standard Scout frequencies.

                      Please visit www.nsj2010ham. com for all the details on the K2BSA operation at Jamboree.

                      David
                      --
                      2010 National Scout Jamboree
                      K2BSA Amateur Radio Staff
                      License Coordinator

                      David Q. Gaddis, P.E., KE4KPC
                      5600 Green Valley Drive
                      Knoxville, TN 37914
                      (865) 637-2173

                      dgaddis@comcast. net
                      k2bsa@comcast. net
                      www.nsj2010ham. com

                      --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogro ups.com, "Gregory" <more_toys@. ..> wrote:

                      > Attn South Western US Hams. I had an idea, but need some help making it
                      happen.

                      > During the 2010 National BSA Jamboree, Jul 26-Aug4, wouldn't it be cool if
                      we could have Jamboree participants in Virginia talk to Hams operating from the peak (or on-the-mountain) of Mt. Baden-Powell in the San Gabriel Mountains?

                      > Prefereably the hams on Mt. BP would be scouts. This could be a 2-3 day,
                      or all week, operating event and we could send special QSL cards from there - with special event call sign W6BP or similar.

                      > Does anyone have experience doing something like this before? Give me a
                      call/email - or answer back to this group - if you think we can make it happen.

                      > Greg Chapelle
                      > Scoutmaster, Troop 667, San Diego, California
                      > http://www.troop667 .info
                      > more_toys@.. .
                      > WA6YLR
                      > 858.484.2580 (home)

                    • J.Gordon Beattie, Jr., W2TTT
                      Message 10 of 19 , May 8 1:10 PM

                        Stephen,

                        Do you have any frequencies for use at the Jamboree by participants?

                        VHF/UHF FM and perhaps HF SBB for HFPack might be of interest.

                        I’ll be a 1st ASM in Troop 505 and will have gear for HF through UHF all modes and we have about a dozen Hams in our Jamboree Troop which is also posing an interesting challenge for charging HTs.

                        Also, what is/are the on-site repeater frequency or frequencies at the Jamboree and where is it going to be located within A. P. Hill?

                        Yours in Scouting!

                        Thanks & 73,

                        Gordon Beattie, W2TTT

                        201.314.6964

                        To: ScoutRadio@yahoogro ups.com
                        From: dgaddis@comcast. net
                        Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2010 13:15:01 +0000

                        __________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 5096 (20100507) __________

                        http://www.eset.com

                        Message 11 of 19 , May 8 4:09 PM

                        With “about a dozen Hams,” congratulations…

                        Two Meters: 145.17 -600KHz shift - monitored 24/7 - Jamboree Net 1900 each evening
                        70 cm: 442.90 +5MHz shift
                        Note: (both) 100Hz PL tone…

                        The above is the K2BSA repeater – in the past it was located at the K2BSA demo site.  I don’t know (for sure) for 2010.  K2BSA (not on many/any maps…)  is near the OA Show (see Google earth attachment)

                        All simplex freq’s are fair game.  I had no problem finding a freq in 2005 for me to use with my two boys – to find them when I had a day off.

                        You can re-charge at K2BSA – but is more then a mile from sub camp 5…

                        I am sure if you talked with the sub camp “people” you may be able to set up a charging station at sub camp HQ.  (see Fred, T501 2nd ASM, as he knows many of the sub camp 5 staff – and push Fred to go to the license classes…  I think he is 2nd ASM?)

                        Sub camp 5 also has a bathhouse (adults and youth?) that should also have 115VAC – someone would need to watch the chargers (a good reason for rapid charging).

                        My son, KB3LUF, is in Troop 501 and I plan on sending him off with a good supply of AA batteries to use in an AA battery pack for his HT.  He WILL be running APRS from his HT so that I have “at least” one station at Jambo running APRS for the demo tent to show…  The Yeasu VX-8’s are APRS (144.390) ready and K2BSA will have a number of digi’s on site, too.

                        I have thought about sending him off with (or bringing it to him) a 10 watt solar panel and gell cell to recharge his HT.  A fully charged gell cell battery could charge a number of HT’s before it (gell cell) needed to be re-charged (at bathhouse?).

                        73, Steve

                        To: ScoutRadio@yahoogro ups.com
                        From: dgaddis@comcast. net
                        Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2010 13:15:01 +0000

                        Hi,

                        K2BSA will be operating continuously during the upcoming 2010 National Scout Jamboree. Your group in San Gabriel Mountains will be able to make contact on the standard Scout frequencies.

                        Please visit www.nsj2010ham. com for all the details on the K2BSA operation at Jamboree.

                        David
                        --
                        2010 National Scout Jamboree
                        K2BSA Amateur Radio Staff
                        License Coordinator

                        David Q. Gaddis, P.E., KE4KPC
                        5600 Green Valley Drive
                        Knoxville , TN 37914
                        (865) 637-2173

                        dgaddis@comcast. net
                        k2bsa@comcast. net
                        www.nsj2010ham. com

                        --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogro ups.com, "Gregory" <more_toys@. ..> wrote:

                        > Attn South Western US Hams. I had an idea, but need some help
                        making it happen.

                        > During the 2010 National BSA Jamboree, Jul 26-Aug4, wouldn't it be cool if
                        we could have Jamboree participants in Virginia talk to Hams operating from the peak (or on-the-mountain) of Mt. Baden-Powell in the San Gabriel Mountains ?

                        > Prefereably the hams on Mt. BP would be
                        scouts. This could be a 2-3 day, or all week, operating event and we could send special QSL cards from there - with special event call sign W6BP or similar.

                        > Does anyone have experience doing something like this before? Give me a
                        call/email - or answer back to this group - if you think we can make it happen.

                        > Greg Chapelle
                        > Scoutmaster, Troop 667, San Diego , California
                        > http://www.troop667 .info
                        > more_toys@.. .
                        > WA6YLR
                        > 858.484.2580 (home)

                        __________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 5096 (20100507) __________

                        http://www.eset. com

                        __________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 5096 (20100507) __________

                        http://www.eset. com

                      • David Gaddis
                        Message 12 of 19 , May 8 4:25 PM
                          Message
                          Please visit www.nsj2010ham.com for the latest information on K2BSA at the 2010 NSJ.

                          73s,
                          David, KE4KPC

                          To: ScoutRadio@yahoogro ups.com
                          From: dgaddis@comcast. net
                          Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2010 13:15:01 +0000

                          Message 13 of 19 , May 8 7:10 PM

                            Stephen,

                            Well that is awesome!  We’ll be nearby your son’s Troop and I will rattle your buddy about getting his license.  I upgraded on a lark to Extra at the 2001 Jamboree when my son and his buddy wanted me to join them when they went to take the exam.  Thanks for the info. I found a REALLY NICE kit for SM/ASMs to consider that provides 3A at 12V in full sunlight for $200 from Harbor Freight.  I bought two and they seem to be pretty cool.  If a Scout wanted to bring such a thing, it would have to be approved by his Scoutmaster, as the footprint is about 4 x 4 ft and needs to be put in a non-hazard area.  We’re going to place it in the gateway area which has an opening to sunlight, but protected space.  The solar charging kit has two 5W 12V CFLs, a charge controller that has outputs for 12, 9, 6 and 3V as well as a 5V USB port!

                            I’ll have batteries and also a complete ham station in a box.  Antennas are going to be lower than 10ft because of the new safety rules (my sons were in 537 in 2005 and it was not a pretty sight).

                            Please pass along my contact info to your son and let him know that T505 has lots of hams!

                            Yours in Scouting!

                            Thanks & 73,

                            Gordon Beattie, W2TTT

                            201.314.6964

                            Can you send me a list of the standard scout frequencies?

                            Thomas M. Bingham

                            size=2 width="100%" align=center id=stopSpelling>

                            To: ScoutRadio@yahoogro ups.com
                            From: dgaddis@comcast. net
                            Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2010 13:15:01 +0000

                            Hi,

                            K2BSA will be operating continuously during the upcoming 2010 National Scout Jamboree. Your group in San Gabriel Mountains will be able to make contact on the standard Scout frequencies.

                            Please visit www.nsj2010ham. com for all the details on the K2BSA operation at Jamboree.

                            David
                            --
                            2010 National Scout Jamboree
                            K2BSA Amateur Radio Staff
                            License Coordinator

                            David Q. Gaddis, P.E., KE4KPC
                            5600 Green Valley Drive
                            Knoxville , TN 37914
                            (865) 637-2173

                            dgaddis@comcast. net
                            k2bsa@comcast. net
                            www.nsj2010ham. com

                            --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogro ups.com, "Gregory" <more_toys@. ..> wrote:

                            > Attn South Western US Hams. I
                            had an idea, but need some help making it happen.

                            > During the 2010 National BSA Jamboree, Jul 26-Aug4, wouldn't it be cool if
                            we could have Jamboree participants in Virginia talk to Hams operating from the peak (or on-the-mountain) of Mt. Baden-Powell in the San Gabriel Mountains ?

                            > Prefereably the hams on
                            w:st="on">Mt. BP would be scouts. This could be a 2-3 day, or all week, operating event and we could send special QSL cards from there - with special event call sign W6BP or similar.

                            > Does anyone have experience doing something like this before? Give me a
                            call/email - or answer back to this group - if you think we can make it happen.

                            > Greg Chapelle
                            > Scoutmaster, Troop 667, San
                            Diego , California
                            > http://www.troop667 .info
                            > more_toys@.. .
                            > WA6YLR
                            > 858.484.2580 (home)

                            __________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 5096 (20100507) __________

                            http://www.eset. com

                            __________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 5096 (20100507) __________

                            http://www.eset. com

                            __________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 5096 (20100507) __________

                            http://www.eset.com

                            __________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 5097 (20100509) __________

                            http://www.eset.com

                          • Mike Cornwall
                            Message 14 of 19 , May 8 9:31 PM
                                  Tried to leave a "good luck" guest comment about 8 times...I don't believe the security code CAN be entered in a way the web page will recognize.  Sorry.

                              Mike Cornwall RPh
                              KB9WQJ (Ham Radio)
                              WPWG606 (GMRS)
                              mccornwall@... (primary)
                              Michael.Cornwall@... (work)
                              RKBA!-The Right to Keep and Bear Arms is a Fundamental Human Right!
                              Molon labe!

                              From: dgaddis@comcast. net
                              Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2010 13:15:01 +0000

                              Message 15 of 19 , May 8 9:49 PM

                                Mike,

                                I was able to leave a guestbook note a couple of minutes ago and saw the guest counter increment when I did.

                                Yours in Scouting!
                                Thanks & 73,

                                Gordon Beattie, W2TTT

                                201.314.6964

                                Message 16 of 19 , May 10 6:49 AM

                                  Please note…  The pdf file “K2BSA and you…” has the old (pre 2007) JOTA freq’s – as the document is from the 2005 Jamboree.  Below are what is currently on the ARRL page: http://www.arrl.org/jamboree-on-the-air-jota

                                  ·         World Scout Frequencies-

                                  Band

                                  SSB (phone)

                                  CW (morse)

                                  80 m

                                  3.690 & 3.940 MHz

                                  3.570 MHz

                                  40 m

                                  7.090 & 7.190 MHz

                                  7.030 MHz

                                  20 m

                                  14.290 MHz

                                  14.060 MHz

                                  17 m

                                  18.140 MHz

                                  18.080 MHz

                                  15 m

                                  21.360 MHz

                                  21.140 MHz

                                  12 m

                                  24.960 MHz

                                  24.910 MHz

                                  10 m

                                  28.390 MHz

                                  28.180 MHz

                                  6 m

                                  50.160 MHz

                                  50.160 MHz

                                  ·         Please note that the World Scout Frequencies changed 1 July 2007. The International Amateur Radio Union (IARU) changed its band plans to create space for more digital transmissions. Some Scout frequencies are affected by this.  Traditionally, Scout Frequencies were chosen in a segment where low-power, simple stations are transmitting (QRP). This allows Scouts to operate such stations from camp sites and still be able to communicate with others. Some of these frequencies have changed over time. The amateur radio bands are increasingly busy with competitions. With the Scout frequencies chosen outside of the contest segments as far as possible, Scout stations can operate undisturbed.

                                  From: dgaddis@comcast. net
                                  Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2010 13:15:01 +0000

                                  Message 17 of 19 , May 10 8:22 AM
                                    > Do you have any frequencies for use at the Jamboree by
                                    participants?
                                    > Also, what is/are the on-site repeater frequency or
                                    > frequencies at the Jamboree and where is it going to be
                                    > located within A. P. Hill?

                                    The bigger question will be Echolink or IRLP?
                                    It would sure be amazing if someone could put an Echolink node
                                    on the air within HT range of the site.

                                    Bob, Wb4APR
                                  • Robert Bruninga
                                    Message 18 of 19 , Jun 4, 2010
                                      > During the 2010 National BSA Jamboree, Jul 26-Aug4,
                                      > wouldn't it be cool if we could have Jamboree
                                      > participants in Virginia talk to Hams operating
                                      > from the peak (or on-the-mountain) of
                                      > Mt. Baden-Powell in the San Gabriel Mountains?

                                      The 26th (Sunday) is the annual Golden Packet event where hams
                                      attempt long distance APRS text messaging along the long
                                      national trails. In 2009 was our first attempt at the 2000 mile
                                      Appalachain trail where we hoped to make it work over 14 hops.

                                      This year we hope western hams will activate the Pacific Crest
                                      trail, or the Continental Divide trail or others...

                                      Please check www.aprs.org/at-golden-packet.html

                                      Bob, WB4APR