RE: [scoutradio] What regulations apply during JOTA?

  • malcolm.bell@btinternet.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 19, 2001
      Hi Don,

      Here is the good news, direct from the UK licence:

      1(8) Having regard to sub-clauses 2(10) and 3(3), greetings messages may be
      sent by non-licensed persons provided
      that:

      (a) it is under the direct supervision of the Licensee or other
      Authorised Club Member (in case of a Licence
      held on behalf of a club), who must operate the transmitter and
      identify the station; and
      (b) each greetings message does not exceed five minutes; and
      (c) greetings messages may be sent and received only within the United
      Kingdom or to and from stations in
      the United States of America, the Republic of Maldives, Gibraltar,
      Malta and Falkland Islands. Greetings
      messages may also be sent to or from stations in Canada and Pitcairn
      Islands provided that each greetings
      message does not exceed two minutes and that each person may only send
      one such message to each
      station with which the station is in contact.

      I have to assume that the FCC has a similar agreement with the UK RA,
      otherwise its a bit pointless - hi!

      If you are a glutton for punishment you can read the full text here:

      http://www.radio.gov.uk/ look in the index under amateur radio, then BR68

      This is the permanent position - which is extended during JOTA as reported
      earlier.

      You are quite right, of course - its is for each individual country's
      administration to agree their terms with the FCC, and just because a
      bilateral agreement exists between a particular country and the UK its wrong
      of me to assume that there is also one with the USA.

      Keep battling for it though - its a great treat for our Scouts to exchange
      messages with other groups around Europe and the US, oh yes, and the
      Pitcairn Is! The highlight of JOTA for some of our participants!

      Regards

      Malcolm

      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/