APRS at the 2010 BSA Jamboree?

  • Stephen M. Shearer
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 30, 2009
      I am trying to plan my radio usage for the 2010 BSA Jamboree next year (Christmas is coming).  I know a VHF and UHF FM repeater is part of the K2BSA operation.  I am  looking at APRS HT's as a way for my son and I to keep in touch and to keep in touch with my wife and older son not at the Jamboree.  [YES we are all licensed]  I have been using a mobile rig in the car with APRS, so I know what it will do.  I found an old - not up to date - web site of the 1997 Jamboree (see below), but the graphics are gone and I am sure it would be out of date.
      http://aprs.org/jamb.html#MAP - was for the 1997 Jamboree.

      *  Will the APRS repeaters outside of the Jamboree be able to handle low power hand held APRS from the Jamboree?  Did anyone do this in 2005?

      *  I don't (currently) know of any APRS repeaters ON the Jamboree site that would operate with the hand held radios that may be in use.  The K2BSA tent (and site of the voice repeater) would not be the best location for an APRS repeater...  Does anyone (going to the Jamboree) have a nice secure location with air conditioning?

      * Thinking ahead... what would make a nice APRS demo for the boys at the Jamboree?  (send an email home? would they care it was via APRS? -- radiograms are sent out every day mostly via packet)

      73, Steve WB3LGC
    • Bob Bruninga
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 31, 2009
        We really do need to get going on firm planning for APRS at jamboree 2010. The most important part will be identifying those people that are APRS savvy and will be there.

        > * Will the APRS [digi]peaters outside of the
        > Jamboree be able to handle low power hand held
        > APRS from the Jamboree?
        > Did anyone do this in 2005?

        We will need to install one-or more on-site digis for handheld coverage. But that is as simple as a few mobile D700s parked in a few places or some small portable digis.

        > * Thinking ahead... what would make a
        > nice APRS demo for the boys at the
        > Jamboree? (send an email home?
        > would they care it was via APRS?
        > -- radiograms are sent out every day
        > mostly via packet)

        When we identify all the APRS hams that will be there, we must also find how many of them can bring along a tracker device or 2-way APRS HT. There just may be enough of them to provide some fun tracking of existing people as the move around.

        But sending Email FROM THE HT out in the field or in the subcamps to mee is the killer-ap...

        Maybe prepare a FLAG that is UNIQUE to APRS that indicates THAT FLAG or bearer is being tracked over at K2BSA? Or an OVERSHIRT saying "See me on APRS.FI" See ham radio!

        Bob, WB4APR