JOTA and contests

  • Jim Stafford
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 15, 2009
      Well... here is an angle you may not realize - kids like contests!!!!  I bring'em over to the shack all the time and they really get into it.   Our Field Day Merit Badge class moves them right over to the station to work clubs all over the place very quickly.  They walk away comparing all the states and provinces they have exchanged with.

      As far as the IOWA contest is concerned, 3/4 of the activity is on CW so you want them to cancel their CW activity so kids can talk on SSB?  And it's not even all weekend, just a small segment of the weekend.

      Have the scouts work any contest station they find.  OK, it's not talking to another Scout which they can do in all other ways such as their iPHONE.  Contesting on radio is not found anywhere else so don't disparage it, join it!  And whatever you do, don't disparage it in front of the scouts - it's a valid ham radio activity.

      When life gives you lemmons, make lemonade!

      W4QO Jim Stafford www.w4qo.com QRP - When you care enough to send the very least!
    • Bill Stewart, w2bsa
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 15, 2009
        My comment about contesters comes from personal experience. We have a
        number of contesters
        in our club. The club also happens to be one of the sponsors of our
        Venturing Crew. We have many
        in this group who will help when asked. These folks are also the same
        people who run our VE team, have in the past been
        Section Emergency Coordinator and have run other activities. But,
        unfortunately we have many more who find many excuses
        not to help. These also happen to be the same people who moan about the
        "old age" of ham radio. We want them
        to help. But, getting them to help is almost impossible. It kinda gives
        a bit of a bad taste in our mouths.

        73,

        Bill, W2BSA**

        Jim Stafford wrote:

        > Well... here is an angle you may not realize - kids like contests!!!!
        > I bring'em over to the shack all the time and they really get into
        > it. Our Field Day Merit Badge class moves them right over to the
        > station to work clubs all over the place very quickly. They walk away
        > comparing all the states and provinces they have exchanged with.
        >
        > As far as the IOWA contest is concerned, 3/4 of the activity is on CW
        > so you want them to cancel their CW activity so kids can talk on SSB?
        > And it's not even all weekend, just a small segment of the weekend.
        >
        > Have the scouts work any contest station they find. OK, it's not
        > talking to another Scout which they can do in all other ways such as
        > their iPHONE. Contesting on radio is not found anywhere else so don't
        > disparage it, join it! And whatever you do, don't disparage it in
        > front of the scouts - it's a valid ham radio activity.
        >
        > When life gives you lemmons, make lemonade!
        >
        > W4QO Jim Stafford www.w4qo.com QRP - When you care enough to send the
        > very least!

      • Joel Lobão
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 15, 2009
          Hi.

          I totally agree with you.

          Most kids don't like digi modes, or ragchewing because they can do that with internet. They like CW and Contests because they don't do that on internet. You can see an example with WWYC (World Wide Young Contesters).

          We have a contest during the JOTA weekend (WAG) and i pretend to show them how it works.

          73 and CU in JOTA and TEST

          Joel - CT1HXB