Re: [ScoutRadio] JOTA

  • Brian Mileshosky
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 14, 2009
      Folks --

      If I may offer my two cents...

      Every weekend is stacked with on air events, such as contests, special
      event stations, etc. In the case of right now you'll also find a ton of
      hams focused on a few frequencies per band trying to nail K4M on Midway
      Island. All of this is a GOOD thing, as opposed to having empty bands.

      JOTA, like everything else, is meant for fun. It's not a make or break
      activity to introduce Scouts to ham radio -- there's 364 other days for
      you to do that, in addition to JOTA.

      If there's other activity on the airwaves, then there's other activity.
      We have lots of spectrum to use at our leisure, and not being able to
      crowd around a suggested JOTA frequency because of other events isn't
      really a big deal. Find a quiet frequency and call "CQ JOTA." You'll be
      found and will still have a good time. When QRM encroaches, make a
      decision to stay put (but remember the example you're setting to the
      Scouts in front of you), slide down, or slide up. Resume having fun.

      Worst comes to worst, there are 3 entire bands -- 12, 17 and 30 -- to use
      without worrying about contesters and probably all QSO Parties happening
      on JOTA weekend.

      Just like JOTA is known to occur on a certain weekend in October within
      the scouting community, there are contests and QSO Parties that are known
      to occur on the same weekend among their circles. One of the qualities of
      a good ham radio operator is the ability to roll with the punches, be it
      changing band conditions, QRN, QRM, less than optimal antenna performance,
      etc., and get the job done while having fun.

      JOTA is no different, and I'm sure we -- and the Scouts who we will be
      interacting with -- will indeed have a bunch of fun with whoever else
      happens to be using the bands at the same time.

      73,
      Brian N5ZGT
      ARRL Director, Rocky Mountain Divison
      On the web at www.RockyMountainDivision.org

      On Wed, 14 Oct 2009, jrk wrote:

      > I don't know if it will help or not but I will write a letter to the sponsoring org of the Iowa qso party. Maybe if they are brought up to speed on the importance of JOTA we can get them to hold it on a different weekend. Its at least worth a try.
      > Jeff
      > KB0GVI
    • Brian Mileshosky
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 14, 2009
        Hi Everyone --

        As has been done for the past few years, ARRL offers a place for you to
        post your stories and pictures from your JOTA operations this coming
        weekend.

        This is your opportunity to tell us about all the good things you did, and
        it serves as great promotion for those unfamiliar with JOTA wanting to
        learn what it's all about. You do not need to be an ARRL member to post.

        The link to post your JOTA 2009 stories and pictures is
        http://www.arrl.org/scouts/jota/Stories/

        There you can also look back on the stories and pics posted in 2008 and
        2007.

        Enjoy this weekend!

        73,
        Brian N5ZGT
      • barry whittemore
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 14, 2009
          As a contester who does some QSO partys and many of the major contests, i will say that it is not all of any group that will or will not help. I have asked some young hams tha do the Dstar and echo link stuff to help out at JOTA and got no help, while some other old fart contesters help out and open there top of the line stations up for JOTA.
          I have been helping to run the DWC JOTA at Camp Carpenter for several years and i realy enjoy it. but you will also hear me battling it out trying to work the latest DXpedition or putting in an effort at the CQWW or ARRL DX contests as well as others. I think the guys that make 20000 QSOs a year can really add a great deal that the local repeater gripers will never be able to add. I try to get many different ham activities at our JOTA. we had 11 stations last year  ranging from Morse Code  intro to HF to DStar to ARES and MARS and fox hunting. While i find DSTAR a terrible waste of money, i can admire the technology and see that it could be a big draw for the young kids. I have run the Morse intro for sevberal years and i find the kids are facinated with it. so there is room for and a need for every aspect to be part of our show. every one will have interests that differ and it is best to have someone that is interested in CW to talk it up and someone into DStar to talk that up.
          This is a wonderful hobby that can be so many things to so many people it is a shame to not put it all out for people to make there own decsisions.
          73
          Barry
          WB1EDI
          Trustee of KB1NH BSA Troop 135 ARC
          op for N1S JOTA 2009

          To: ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com
          From: w2bsa@...
          Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2009 08:50:30 -0400
          Subject: Re: [ScoutRadio] Re: JOTA

          Hey folks. Unfortunately, there are many people in our hobby who whine
          about there not being
          enough young people in the hobby. But, when you ask them to give a
          little help they will turn you down
          flat. I suspect that these same people are in the ranks of contesters
          and QSO partyers.

          73,
          Bill, W2BSA
          National Capital Area Council, Colonial District, Venturing Crew 80 W3BSA

          Jonathan (M6FBS) wrote:

          > No Mike, It's not just you whose blood boils over other events during
          > JOTA. Here in Europe, we have the 'all singing, all dancing' Worked
          > All Germany Contest which runs from Saturday 1500UTC to the same time
          > on Sunday. It started, as I remember, about 5 years ago with
          > 'gentlemen's agreements' that they would not interfere with JOTA.
          > Slowly they encroached on the supposedly contest-free frequencies
          > until by last year, they made Europe almost unworkable for JOTA. In
          > particular they 'swamped' 40m which is a key frequency in Europe. They
          > claim to have stiffened up on their rules and frequencies this year -
          > we shall see. The Radio Scouters in the UK at least have their number!
          > If anybody so much as dares call 'CQ Contest' on or around the Scout
          > Frequencies, they will be logged and reported to the contest
          > organisers who claim that disqualification will follow. We await the
          > first reports of disqualification with interest!!
          >
          > For heaven's sake, once a year, the kids get an extended chance to
          > experience Amateur Radio at first hand and talk to Scouts in other
          > countries. Some of these young people could be the future of Ham Radio
          > if they are given a free crack of the whip - or don't the contesters
          > and QSO partiers care if their hobby has no future?
          >
          > I sense a bit of an International Campaign coming on to make the third
          > weekend in October contest and party-free around the world!
          >
          > 73s
          > Jonathan (Scout Leader, 1st Brede Scouts, Sussex, UK) M6FBS
          > Scouts callsign: GB1FBS
          >
          > --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogro ups.com
          > <mailto:ScoutRadio% 40yahoogroups. com>, Mike Lukas <iamadivebum@ ...> wrote:
          > >

          > > why is it that Hams insist on clugging up the air waves the one
          > weekend of the year, the same weekend every year with a QSO PARTY.
          > Thats why the ARRL and everyone else in the ******* world does not
          > schedule QSO parties or contests. That way the kids can hear each
          > other thats who they want to talk to...Maybe it's just me.. 73's KE7YTM.
          > >
          > > To: ScoutRadio@yahoogro ups.com <mailto:ScoutRadio% 40yahoogroups. com>
          > > From: byrdhaus@...
          > > Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2009 15:30:20 -0500
          > > Subject: [ScoutRadio] JOTA

          > > Just a heads up for JOTA. This weekend is also
          > > the 1st Iowa QSO party. I am sending a email to the sponsors to tell
          > them and
          > > ask that they post the scouting freqs on their website. Don't know
          > if it will
          > > help , but it might.
          > > 73's
          > > KB0GVI

          > > Hotmail: Powerful Free email with security by Microsoft.
          > > http://clk.atdmt. com/GBL/go/ 171222986/ direct/01/
          > <http://clk.atdmt. com/GBL/go/ 171222986/ direct/01/>

        • Mike Crownover

            From: w2bsa@...
            Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2009 08:50:30 -0400

            Jonathan (M6FBS) wrote:

            > No Mike, It's not just you whose blood boils over other events during
            > JOTA. Here in Europe, we have the 'all singing, all dancing' Worked
            > All Germany Contest which runs from Saturday 1500UTC to the same time
            > on Sunday. It started, as I remember, about 5 years ago with
            > 'gentlemen's agreements' that they would not interfere with JOTA.
            > Slowly they encroached on the supposedly contest-free frequencies
            > until by last year, they made Europe almost unworkable for JOTA. In
            > particular they 'swamped' 40m which is a key frequency in Europe. They
            > claim to have stiffened up on their rules and frequencies this year -
            > we shall see. The Radio Scouters in the UK at least have their number!
            > If anybody so much as dares call 'CQ Contest' on or around the Scout
            > Frequencies, they will be logged and reported to the contest
            > organisers who claim that disqualification will follow. We await the
            > first reports of disqualification with interest!!
            >
            > For heaven's sake, once a year, the kids get an extended chance to
            > experience Amateur Radio at first hand and talk to Scouts in other
            > countries. Some of these young people could be the future of Ham Radio
            > if they are given a free crack of the whip - or don't the contesters
            > and QSO partiers care if their hobby has no future?
            >
            > I sense a bit of an International Campaign coming on to make the third
            > weekend in October contest and party-free around the world!
            >
            > 73s
            > Jonathan (Scout Leader, 1st Brede Scouts, Sussex, UK) M6FBS
            > Scouts callsign: GB1FBS
            >
            > --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com
            > <mailto:ScoutRadio%40yahoogroups.com>, Mike Lukas <iamadivebum@...> wrote:
            > >

            > > why is it that Hams insist on clugging up the air waves the one
            > weekend of the year, the same weekend every year with a QSO PARTY.
            > Thats why the ARRL and everyone else in the ******* world does not
            > schedule QSO parties or contests. That way the kids can hear each
            > other thats who they want to talk to...Maybe it's just me.. 73's KE7YTM.
            > >
            > > To: ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com <mailto:ScoutRadio%40yahoogroups.com>
            > > From: byrdhaus@...
            > > Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2009 15:30:20 -0500
            > > Subject: [ScoutRadio] JOTA

            > > Just a heads up for JOTA. This weekend is also
            > > the 1st Iowa QSO party. I am sending a email to the sponsors to tell
            > them and
            > > ask that they post the scouting freqs on their website. Don't know
            > if it will
            > > help , but it might.
            > > 73's
            > > KB0GVI

            > > Hotmail: Powerful Free email with security by Microsoft.
            > <http://clk.atdmt.com/GBL/go/171222986/direct/01/>

          • (no author)
            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 14, 2009

              Hi there,

              Our radio club is demonstrating Ham Radio to three groups of 4th, 5th and 6th grade students this Saturday morning with each student making H.F. contacts. Our hope is that we can contact you! Please read on.

              Twice each year (fall and spring), the Western Technical College in La Crosse Wisconsin hosts Camp W, a youth enrichment program designed for area children in grades 4-6. Western faculty and staff volunteer their time and talents to give area children the opportunity to explore special interests in a unique educational setting and to see what the college is all about.

              Courses can include everything from building toolboxes to maneuvering around in wheelchairs, making beaded work to taking pictures, or just clowning around. And while some of the classes correlate to an academic program offered at the college, some are designed just for fun. Students can choose up to three of the 14 different classes to attend throughout the morning.

              This Saturday, October 17th from 8:15 AM to 12:30 PM CDT the Mississippi Valley Amateur Radio Association (MVARA) will present "Welcome to the Wonderful World of Ham Radio” during "Camp-W".

              During Camp-W we present programs to three groups of students. During each program every student in each group will have the opportunity to make a H.F. contact. We will have 10, 15 and 20 meter tri-band antenna as well as a 40 and 75 meter dipole antenna. So if you here us on the air calling from La Crosse Wisconsin drop by for a chat.

              We are not Scouts but we will be introducing Ham Radio to young students with many of the same interests as the Scouts some may even be Scouts.

              Here is a look at our program during last springs Camp-W

              Enjoy the JOTA!

              73,

              Terry Miller KB9YXV

              Mississippi Valley Amateur Radio Association

              Kb9yxv@...

              To: ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com
              From: n5zgt@...
              Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2009 09:08:32 -0600
              Subject: Re: [ScoutRadio] JOTA

              On Wed, 14 Oct 2009, jrk wrote:

              > I don't know if it will help or not but I will write a letter to the sponsoring org of the Iowa qso party. Maybe if they are brought up to speed on the importance of JOTA we can get them to hold it on a different weekend. Its at least worth a try.
              > Jeff
              > KB0GVI

            • Robert Bruninga
              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 14, 2009
                > Hey folks. Unfortunately, there are many
                > people in our hobby who whine about there
                > not being enough young people in the hobby.

                As a tangential point, don't forget, that we REACHOUT to kids
                and scouts, but we are also reeling in any parents too. Do not
                overlook including material that might appeal to the parents.
                Ham radio is generally attractive to adults and probably most
                new hams come from the adult crowd.

                This does not in any way mean we should not reach out to the
                kids as best we can, but also be prepared to invite in the
                parents too.

                Bob, WB4APR
              • JonEMac
                Message 7 of 13 , Oct 15, 2009
                  Who cares???

                  There's a contest or QSO party almost every weekend!

                  Jon
                  W2MC