Third Party

  • w1ho
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 11, 2009
      We did some research and made an inquiry of N1ND, Regulatory Information Manager at ARRL.

      We are posting a list of allowable third party entities, sorted both by prefix and by entity name, at each operating position.  And we have an information handout for Scouts and other visitors making them aware of the third  party regulations.

      There was some question about UK stations, so on the assumption others might have the same question, below is Dan's response to my question concerning UK third party communications.  In a nutshell, third party with all UK entities is OK.

      73, and hope to work some of you on the air from K2BSA/4 at the Gemstone District Camporee in Iredell County, NC.

      Howard  W1HO

      <snip>

      While the FCC pages don't reflect it, the rules regarding third-party with the UK did change a few years ago.

      * FCC to update third-party traffic list to include all UK stations: The FCC
      is expected to soon update its Web site listing of countries with which US
      Amateur Radio Service licensees may exchange third-party traffic (ie,
      messages on behalf of a party other than the control operator). The updated
      list will include all amateur stations in the United Kingdom (the UK, the
      Channel Islands, including Guernsey and Jersey, Great Britain, the Isle of
      Man and Northern Ireland). The change is already effective. Section 97.115
      of the FCC's Amateur Radio Service rules regulates communications from a
      station's control operator (first party) to another amateur station's
      control operator (second party) on behalf of another person (third party).
      No FCC-regulated amateur station may transmit messages for a third party to
      any amateur station located within the jurisdiction of any foreign
      government not on the FCC list or whose administration has not made specific
      arrangements with the US to allow amateur stations to transmit international
      communications on behalf of third parties. The prohibition regarding
      third-party traffic does not apply to messages for any third party who is
      eligible to be the control operator of the station. The FCC list of
      countries that have third-party agreements with the US is on the FCC Web
      site <http://wireless.fcc.gov/services/amateur/about/intoperating.html>.

      We reported this April 2005.  But I do see that the FCC hasn't updated their website - but it is permissible.  I will follow up with the FCC.

      <endsnip>