Re: Giving a Presentation to an Ellicott City, MD Troop on 9/24/2009

  • tomk3mov
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 8, 2009

      Thanks to the input from this Group and from John King KB3WA, Radio Merit Badge Counseler for Troop 944 in Howard County, MD and a member of the Columbia Amateur Radio Association, my fifty minute presentation is slowly coming together.  The "icing on the cake" of the presetaion will John and me trying to make some contacts with my portable station from the scout meeting place.

      The presentation is going to take place on Thursday, September 24 @ 7:00 EDT.  The actual calling of CQ will probably begin around 7:30 EDT on or around 14.240 Mhz.  I would really appreciate some of you marking your calenders with that date, time and frequency and giving a listen to improve our chances of establishing a contact in front of the audience.

      I will be running 100 watts from my TS 480SAT to a 12' Outbacker antenna on an Alpha Delta tripod mount.  At this point, I'm not exactly sure where the antenna will be located or how much coax I will be using so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

      Tnx es 73, Tom Baxter K3MOV

      --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, "tomk3mov" <tomk3mov@...> wrote:

      > I volunteered to give aHam Radio presentation to a scout troop in
      > Ellicott City, MD on the evening of 9/24/2009. After volunteering I
      > realzed, of course, I had no materials and, although I've been a ham
      > since 1961, I know very little about VHF and UHF operation. I enlisted
      > the the help of the president of the Columbia, MD Amateur Radio
      > Association, and he has graciously offered to help me with some
      > educational materials. I have also ordered some literature from the
      > B.S.A. regarding the Radio Merit Badge.
      >
      > I'm wondering if there are any licensed scouts in the Ellicott City /
      > Columbia MD areas who may care to join us and give a true Scout
      > perspective of the subject.
      >
      > Tnx es 73, Tom Baxter K3MOV

    • tomk3mov
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 24, 2009

        REMINDER AND ADDENDUM:  THANKS TO THE EXTRAORDINARY EFFORTS OF JOHN KING, KB3WK, WE NOW HAVE AVAILABLE TO US A G5RV @ 45 FT.

        SOMETIME SOON AFTER 7:30 PM EDT, WE WILL QSY TO 7.190 Mhz AND TRY TO HOOK UP WITH SOME SCOUTS IN CT.  IF YOU CAN'T COPY US ON 20, PLEASE MONITOR 7.190 FOR A WHILE AND SEE IF YOU CAN COPY US THERE.

        THANKS TO ALL INVOLVED AND 73, TOM BAXTER K3MOV

        Thanks to the input from this Group and from John King KB3WK, Radio Merit Badge Counseler for Troop 944 in Howard County, MD and a member of the Columbia Amateur Radio Association, my fifty minute presentation is slowly coming together.  The "icing on the cake" of the presetaion will consist of John and me trying to make some contacts from the Scout meeting hall using my portable station.