UK Scouts ban knives

  • web8ck
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 7, 2009
      An article I read today at the Daily Mail website. I found this via the KnifeRights.org website.

      http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1211475/Britains-blade-culture-claims-victim--Scouts-penknives.html

      I hope this is not a trend.

      Matthew, kc8bew
    • Dan Fisher AI4GK
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 7, 2009

        That’s the goofiest thing I’ve ever heard of in Scouting!! They’re taking a survival tool and treating it like we’re teaching boys to cut each other! It’s like the gun bans. Folks can’t get it through their heads that it’s not the tool, it’s the person holding the tool that’s dangerous. I find it outrageous that someone in Scouting equates Scouts carrying knives to camp with equipping street gangs! BTW, it only accentuates the fact that gun bans don’t reduce violence.

        73, from Dan Fisher, AI4GK

        http://www.qrz.com/db/ai4gk

        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 7, 2009
          Now I always thought pocket knives were a part of scouting. How can they do this!

          Thomas M. Bingham
          Cubmaster Pack 928

          To: ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com

          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 7, 2009
            THIS IS NOT TRUE!
            It was a disreputable newspaper, taking one sentence out of an entire article in Scouting Magazine and, without its context, twisting it to fit its own warped agenda. The chap who wrote the original piece in Scouting Magazine, who I know, is even now consulting lawyers. The original article was an instructional one for leaders to help them train Scouts in the safe use of knives. The piece was written by a master knife maker and well known backwoodsman who would never ever advocate a knife ban! Sorry folks, you've been taken in by British journalism at its worst - as has most of the British media and public. The whole story is nothing more thjan a fabrication aimed at smearing the Government and using the Scouts as cover for a tacky newspaper's public vendetta!

            Jonathan Rhodes (M6FBS) Scoutleader, UK Radio Scouting.

            --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, THOMAS BINGHAM <dragon_slayer1980@...> wrote:

            > Now I always thought pocket knives were a part of scouting. How can they do this!
            >
            > Thomas M. Bingham
            > Cubmaster Pack 928
            >

            > To: ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com
            > From: matt.kc8bew@...
            > Date: Mon, 7 Sep 2009 11:36:47 +0000
            > Subject: [ScoutRadio] UK Scouts ban knives

            > An article I read today at the Daily Mail website. I found this via the KnifeRights.org website.
            >

            > http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1211475/Britains-blade-culture-claims-victim--Scouts-penknives.html
            >

            > I hope this is not a trend.
            >

            > Matthew, kc8bew

            > Get back to school stuff for them and cashback for you.
            > http://www.bing.com/cashback?form=MSHYCB&publ=WLHMTAG&crea=TEXT_MSHYCB_BackToSchool_Cashback_BTSCashback_1x1

          • bredesl
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 7, 2009
              Further to my last post, the UK Chief Comissioner has issued an interim statement refuting totally the claims of The Mail and the other papers which have published this unfortunate story. Here is a link to the Chief Comissioner's blog which contains a statement: https://members.scouts.org.uk/ccblog/6/the-truth-about-scouts-and-knives